Eel rigs.

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Eel rigs.

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Asking for a mate, what rigs do you use for eels so as to help prevent deep hooking?
He has a few ideas such as the stick rig but I said I would ask.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
pikin
Perch
Perch

Re: Eel rigs.

Post by pikin »

https://www.nationalanguillaclub.co.uk/eelfishingrigs

Nice photos but I for one will always use Wire.
Paul Ikin
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

pikin wrote: Sun Mar 27 2022 11:53 -

Ill pass this on, thanks!

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

A water I fish has no pike. Ive had eels on 18lb mono with no problems at all...biggest 5.12....mainly on mussel or half roach.
Used shortish hook lengths and size 4 hooks. Only about an acre at best so no long chucks (10 yds is more than enough)
Tried stick rigs but only caught carp and no eels(carp are a feckin nuIsance in here they will eat ANYTHING)
Not had to cut a hook off yet
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Kev Berry wrote: Sat Apr 02 2022 12:03 -

A water I fish has no pike. Ive had eels on 18lb mono with no problems at all...biggest 5.12....mainly on mussel or half roach.
Used shortish hook lengths and size 4 hooks. Only about an acre at best so no long chucks (10 yds is more than enough)
Tried stick rigs but only caught carp and no eels(carp are a feckin nuIsance in here they will eat ANYTHING)
Not had to cut a hook off yet
I started using hard mono on my worm rigs last summer. Tangles less than the Kevlar braid I had used before that. Always wire on fish baits though.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Has anyone tried circles? which in theory would suit eels the most!

Cheers, Alan
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sat Apr 02 2022 12:22 -
Has anyone tried circles? which in theory would suit eels the most!

Cheers, Alan

I tried circle hooks in the late 90's for conger eels and they failed miserably, totally actually, never hooked one!
When a conger eel finds a bait it backs away with it, if a freshwater eels acted in a similar fashion the result would (presumably) be the same.
Maggot feeder and a single red on a 16 and 3-4" of 12lb flouro does it for my eels.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Fitas
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Fitas »

I know few use circle hooks for eels and would never use them again.Ive used kryston quick sliver as my trace and have done for many years. Mono you asking for trouble even at 18lb. The NAC website page is spot on there is no need to deep hook eels now using the rigs thats on the page
JCJ
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by JCJ »

Have found that circle hooks on a longish trace and bolt rig tactics have worked.

I also made myself a 'disgorger' out of some plastic tube, araldite and 100lb braid.

The trace swivel is detached from the main line and looped with the Braid.
The Braid is then passed up through the tube. The Araldite end creates a non-biting
end with a line that captures the hook length. A quick twist and the hook is out.

Never had this problem with circle hooks and bolt rigs though.
TidalD
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by TidalD »

Yes I agree with you, also a lot of good info on YouTube ref small baits and methods.
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

Dead simple running rig with hooklength about 5inch of 50lb kastking braid (cheap), size 6 wide gape, run ring and 2oz led works a treat for me. Worms, prawn, spam, fish all good baits. Good bream rig too.
20220419_212201.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mmmmmmmm yes