Quiver tip for river chub deadbaiting?

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Quiver tip for river chub deadbaiting?

Post by Gary Coggon »

Any thoughts on most effective use of quiver tip, please?

On my annual back-end campaign to select out big chub via deadbaits. Came across the quiver tips for my trusty old JW Avon and wondered whether they’d offer any advantage over the standard tip in deciphering chubs pulls on my 3 to 4 inch sections of lamprey on a rolling swanshot link leger. What do you think? And how would you position the rod - 45 degrees to river? Parallel? Hold rod and point it at the tackle as it moves?

Anyone else do this?

Many thanks
Gary Coggon
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Quiver tip for river chub deadbaiting?

Post by davelumb »

I've always tried to cast upstream and fish for slack liners when quiver tipping for chub. But that's been with cheese paste or maggots on the Dribble.
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

Thanks, Dave. Is the idea that the bait is static but easily dislodged or does it work with rolling bait too?
Gary Coggon
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

I think I would reduce the size of the bait for chub even though they have big mouths.
This is purely so they may take the bait better and that it is fully in their mouths when you get an indication.

Cheers,Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Gary Coggon wrote: Sat Mar 02 2024 17:20 -
Thanks, Dave. Is the idea that the bait is static but easily dislodged or does it work with rolling bait too?
I've always used it with a running leger/feeder. No trying to hit pulls, the tip springs back and you wind into a hooked chub. As I suggest, it might not work with fish baits. I never had a take when I tried lamprey chunks, yet on rivers east of the Pennines they used to take half lamprey on two trebles. Not that I hooked any of the feckers!
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

davelumb wrote: Sat Mar 02 2024 17:44 -
I've always used it with a running leger/feeder. No trying to hit pulls, the tip springs back and you wind into a hooked chub. As I suggest, it might not work with fish baits. I never had a take when I tried lamprey chunks, yet on rivers east of the Pennines they used to take half lamprey on two trebles. Not that I hooked any of the feckers!
Interesting re chunks of bait and yet you could feed a few and get them on it :scratch:

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sat Mar 02 2024 17:51 -
Interesting re chunks of bait and yet you could feed a few and get them on it :scratch:

Cheers, Alan
I never gave it much effort TBH. Maybe a couple of tries. Chub are pretty low on my desired quarry species. I'll take them as bycatch, but rarely set out for them except in teh depths of winter. But the days of fishing when there's frost on the ground and ice in the rod rings are over for me!
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

davelumb wrote: Sat Mar 02 2024 17:54 -

Cheers, Alan
I never gave it much effort TBH. Maybe a couple of tries. Chub are pretty low on my desired quarry species. I'll take them as bycatch, but rarely set out for them except in teh depths of winter. But the days of fishing when there's frost on the ground and ice in the rod rings are over for me!
Thet are a very obliging species re baits and conditions and yet can be very challenging at the same time!
"the most fearful of fish!"

Cheers, Alna
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sat Mar 02 2024 18:09 -

Cheers, Alan
Thet are a very obliging species re baits and conditions and yet can be very challenging at the same time!
"the most fearful of fish!"

Cheers, Alna
Most fearfulest of fishes. :wink:

Googled - https://victorianweb.org/history/sports/6.html
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sat Mar 02 2024 17:39 -
I think I would reduce the size of the bait for chub even though they have big mouths.
This is purely so they may take the bait better and that it is fully in their mouths when you get an indication.

Cheers,Alan
Yup, I thought the same but made no difference. What I like about the c 3” sections is that they get sucked back securely into/past, I assume, the pharyngeal teeth. That’s on the occasions when it works, of course…
I’m trying to up the hook-up rate with the quivertip thing somehow :grin: And, yes, I loose-feed chunks - well I used to - not sure I can bring myself to do it tomorrow, though, at eleventy billion quid per lamprey.
[quote=cookiesdaughtersdad post_id=833587 time=<a href="tel:1709398283">1709398283</a> user_id=1633]
[quote=davelumb post_id=833577 time=<a href="tel:1709397869">1709397869</a> user_id=9]
[quote="Gary Coggon" post_id=833561 time=<a href="tel:1709396458">1709396458</a> user_id=9225]
[/quote]

Cheers, Alan
[/quote]

[/quote]

Aye, my cold-weather species, too. Having said that, good perch have started to come out of my local muddy puddle but I so can’t bear to go near it. May just have to get over myself… if I can’t wait until late March and the smaller Lakes lakes.
Gary Coggon
squimp
Roach
Roach

Post by squimp »

Somebody I know has had quite a few big chub on smallish pieces of lamprey.

Heavy running lead, shortish Fluoro hooklink and size 2 hook (not hair rigged).

He doesn’t add any free baits and reckons if they are there they eat it.

If I was fishing line that I would try and fish with a bobbin rather than a quiver tip.
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

squimp wrote: Sun Mar 03 2024 18:12 -
Somebody I know has had quite a few big chub on smallish pieces of lamprey.

Heavy running lead, shortish Fluoro hooklink and size 2 hook (not hair rigged).

He doesn’t add any free baits and reckons if they are there they eat it.

If I was fishing line that I would try and fish with a bobbin rather than a quiver tip.
:thumbs: I feel a two-rod approach coming on…
Gary Coggon
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I did have a spate of using Sandeel chunks for chub a but like luncheon meat - recall I did alright not sure why I gave up. Early season as a kid thr go to for chub was a float fished dead minnow always did well with that but occasionally the bait would be bitten off and you'd only get the head back!
squimp
Roach
Roach

Post by squimp »

Last Summer I caught a decent barbel and whilst unhooking it found a wire trace sticking out of its mouth. On the far end and well back in its throat was a 2” plug. So be prepared….