Tidal rivers cats

If you want to discuss Catfish, Perch, Zander, Ferox Trout or Eels, this is the place for you
Daygo51
Stickleback
Stickleback

Tidal rivers cats

Post by Daygo51 »

Hi all, would be interested in peoples thoughts on this?
I regularly fish a southern river, and over the last 10 years more and more cats have shown up on the tidal stretch, from kittens to 70+.
Weird thing is the non tidal doesn’t seem to have ever produced a single cat (I may be wrong, but have never seen a pic, or heard of a capture).
The non tidal and tidal can connect through flooding, and the carp have moved at times between the sections.
Just wondered if anyone knew the reason the cats would prosper in the tidal but not the non tidal?
Ratty46
Chub
Chub

Re: Tidal rivers cats

Post by Ratty46 »

Daygo51 wrote: Tue Mar 05 2024 11:03 -
I regularly fish a southern river, and over the last 10 years more and more cats have shown up on the tidal stretch, from kittens to 70+.
Weird thing is the non tidal doesn’t seem to have ever produced a single cat (I may be wrong, but have never seen a pic, or heard of a capture).
The non tidal and tidal can connect through flooding, and the carp have moved at times between the sections.
Just wondered if anyone knew the reason the cats would prosper in the tidal but not the non tidal?
food i would have thought, if its where i think it is, Mullet.
fenland piker
Roach
Roach

Post by fenland piker »

Cats are well documented in a number of tidal rivers to my knowledge the tidal Thames has produced very large ones, as has the Trent and the Tidal Ouse seems to turn up plenty of juveniles in eel nets. the original fish are likely to have escaped from venues upstream during flooding. I would expect the conditions in the lower rivers suit them as there is plenty of food and they thrive in murky water.
Daygo51
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Daygo51 »

Ratty46 wrote: Tue Mar 05 2024 15:29 -
Daygo51 wrote: Tue Mar 05 2024 11:03 -
food i would have thought, if its where i think it is, Mullet.
Yeah I think you’re right (it may well be where you think it is?)
The_Saint
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by The_Saint »

Deffo bigger cats on the non tidal of the thames than the tidal section
from the skool of hard knox and the university of life