Pike Pool (109) Mick Cutler

An archive of our superb Pike Pool articles
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Pike Pool (109) Mick Cutler

Post by Jason Skilton »

Morning Pitsters,

Piker, Percher and published author, Mick Cutler has been certainly been at the three Ps.

So, prepare some porridge and pop some PG Tips into the pot and have a gander at this Pike Pool offer.

https://thepikepool.blogspot.com/2020/1 ... d-out.html

Enjoy!
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Pike Pool (109) Mick Cutler

Post by Dave Horton »

Very cool, I enjoyed that Mick, thanks!

(Nice one men face)
bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso »

Cheers mick interesting read
Running Ledger Fishing Blog
http://www.bencarvosso.wordpress.com
keeponchucking
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by keeponchucking »

Thanks for posting this. Class read.
"dark ages when a 2lb perch was hard to find" that is how I feel trying to get a good perch in Ireland
Marvin Farrell
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso »

keeponchucking wrote: Thu Dec 17 2020 19:09 -
Thanks for posting this. Class read.
"dark ages when a 2lb perch was hard to find" that is how I feel trying to get a good perch in Ireland
Never a truer word :laughs:
Running Ledger Fishing Blog
http://www.bencarvosso.wordpress.com
Gaz Jane
Roach
Roach

Post by Gaz Jane »

Great read enjoyed it
John66
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by John66 »

Interesting and great read
MICK CUTLER
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MICK CUTLER »

Thank you everyone for your kind response. I’m especially grateful to Jason for his efforts in putting together. I’m still a bit ‘perched out’, although annoying the pike instead, but live in hope of unearthing another jewel and having it all to myself!
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

Enjoyed that. Shame about the bountyhunters but they are everywhere going off other peoples hard work.

Experienced it myself on the Thames when was fortunate to capture a large Barbel in 1998 and then miraculously well known species started fishing the spot.
skinboy
Roach
Roach

Post by skinboy »

Very good read
Skinboy = John Leatt
MICK CUTLER
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MICK CUTLER »

Thanks Muskie! A sign of the times these days, I'm afraid. Especially in this age of the internet.

In my case it really was 'the hunter becoming the hunted'. Sadly, angling doesn't reward or merit 'first to the summit', but might the 27th if they've caught it slightly bigger and sent to a weekly!
John66
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by John66 »

Very interesting and great read Mick, thanks for the insight.
Lee7499
Chub
Chub

Post by Lee7499 »

Brilliant write up Mick .
In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Lee Hall
JohnCostello
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by JohnCostello »

Nice one Mick, a great feeling when you know you’ve stumbled onto good fishing before anyone else.
MICK CUTLER
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MICK CUTLER »

JohnCostello wrote: Thu Dec 31 2020 00:50 -
Nice one Mick, a great feeling when you know you’ve stumbled onto good fishing before anyone else.
Nothing can beat it John.......an angling nirvana! :boing:
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Just got round to reading this, enjoyed that, thanks Mick.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

Riveting read, surprised no one tried the old dodge of following you Mick ?
Many thanks for that..
Ray Brown.
You got to do what you want to do when you want to do it..
MICK CUTLER
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MICK CUTLER »

charleston16 wrote: Fri Sep 03 2021 10:06 -
Many thanks for that../quote]

Sorry Ray, I've only just seen your comment (a combination of being busy since and the configuration display on my device cutting-off the bottom menu). His friend lives around the corner from me and, knowing I only fished for few hours before dark and home shortly afterwards, probably gave him the starter he wanted. By that I mean sussing it was local and not far away. It took a while, but somehow he found it........he could have followed or discovered my parked car at the venue.

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments.
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

MICK CUTLER wrote: Fri Jul 08 2022 16:23 -

Sorry Ray, I've only just seen your comment (a combination of being busy since and the configuration display on my device cutting-off the bottom menu). His friend lives around the corner from me and, knowing I only fished for few hours before dark and home shortly afterwards, probably gave him the starter he wanted. By that I mean sussing it was local and not far away. It took a while, but somehow he found it........he could have followed or discovered my parked car at the venue.

:thumbs:
I some times think that that if those type of people put that amount of thinking into there own fishing, they would be successful too
:shrug:
Ray Brown.
MICK CUTLER
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MICK CUTLER »

charleston16 wrote: Sat Jul 09 2022 10:16 -
MICK CUTLER wrote: Fri Jul 08 2022 16:23 -

:thumbs:
I some times think that that if those type of people put that amount of thinking into there own fishing, they would be successful too
:shrug:
Exactly Ray. But 'specimen hunting' is now more 'specimen chasing' and predictable. True specimen hunting is hard work, with little reward. It's why I think things like the Drennan Cup are a load of b******s.
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

You have a point Mick but I think we have all been guilty of "chasing" at some point,
I know I certainly have, especially when I retired..

One thing that baffles me is how the word "cool"has crept into angling ?? If you do an early or late session the hours can be very unsociable, the bait side of fishing can also be very off putting to some people so I dont really get that one... :scratch:
Ray Brown.
MICK CUTLER
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MICK CUTLER »

Yes Ray, I think I mentioned in the article, we're all guilty of that at some point. But decades ago, when people wasn't so mobile or had a social-media grapevine, angler's were more inclined (if not forced) to discover big fish locally. Nowadays, for example, a guy can pioneer and catch an unknown 15lb barbel from a small river, like the Wandle, yet gets overlooked again by another big barbel from a well-known stretch of the Trent. Angling merit shouldn't be measured in pounds and ounces. Nor is there anything more satisfying in angling than 'finding your own fish'. The same faces from the same places, where many others have trod before, I find boring (perhaps I'm getting old!) but if plaudits are given out in angling then they should be properly judged. And not just because it's yet another double-figure tench from that 'southern pit' where matey's been camped out all week, in this his fifth season!

Talking of merit, my mate I put on to the perch in the article won the annual Fox Cup that year from the Angler's Mail. He won £3,000 plus numerous weekly money and tackle awards (even now a damn more than Drennan pay), yet every prized fish - tench, perch, eel, chub - he was gifted. Yes, he still had to catch 'em, but he was given a head start. Good luck to him, but even if the weeklies knew the facts they wouldn't care. All they want is good copy, so it's all phony mate.

There's a lot of modern terminology in angling that's inane, idiotic or just plain ignorant. I think 'unit' covers all three!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I think there are some rose tinted spectacles being worn here. How did Walker (the great and well connected self publicist) find Redmire? Did he look at an OS map and think 'That little lake looks like it will hold some big carp', or did he get the info off someone else? Plenty of others followed him after he publicised his fish. Hilton, Hutchinson, Yates. All fish chasers! :joker:

Sure it's easier to get info on where to catch big fish these days, but there are very few waters that haven't been fished by someone. Even the 'unfished' ones will have been poached. :laughs:
MICK CUTLER
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MICK CUTLER »

Not rose-tinted Dave, for I agree! Walker just didn't land on Redmire, nor was it a lake that anyone could fish. And some of those that followed became house-hold names! But their 'pedestals' were given by the angling media of the day. The same still applies, except now with social media anyone can have a pedestal.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I bet Neville Fickling wishes there'd been all this social media stuff when he was starting out building his brand! Imagine a spotty Neville vlogging. :dizzy:

:boing:
MICK CUTLER
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MICK CUTLER »

:laughs: :laughs: It was harder in his day - quill pen and paper and a trip to the Chemist (for photos) - and 'Piking in the 80's' must have taken an eternity. Seems he doesn't have to generate publicity anymore, must be grateful to those that do it for him (good or bad). He's an industry! :laughs:
davelumb wrote: Mon Jul 11 2022 17:39 -
I bet Neville Fickling wishes there'd been all this social media stuff when he was starting out building his brand! Imagine a spotty Neville vlogging. :dizzy:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

MICK CUTLER wrote: Mon Jul 11 2022 20:51 -
:laughs: :laughs: It was harder in his day - quill pen and paper and a trip to the Chemist (for photos) - and 'Piking in the 80's' must have taken an eternity. Seems he doesn't have to generate publicity anymore, must be grateful to those that do it for him (good or bad). He's an industry! :laughs:
davelumb wrote: Mon Jul 11 2022 17:39 -

He's a cult. I think that's what I've heard him called!
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

its surprised me on how many good perch i have come across lately by accident fishing for pike , fishing some of my old haunts which did through up some good fish 40 odd years back
are now producing perch to heavy handed pike tactics , canals and still waters are just not getting fished , they all want carp where i am ....good news for me in pursuit of perch