Chub
Chub

Re: Pike Pool 5 (Jason Skilton)

Post by merlin »

Jason Skilton PAC wrote:
merlin wrote:
Jason Skilton PAC wrote:
merlin wrote:
Can somebody please email me when this revolutionary stuff that we were promised will arrive please.

Considering that we were supposed to be getting something that was supposedly better than PnP personally I am pretty underwhelmed.Image
Mark, What would you like to see then?????
Well without wishing to offend anyone most of what has appeared on the PP so far quite rightly wouldnt have got near a published magazine in a million years or shouldnt have. Chris's paste article and Lumby;s piece being the exceptions.

Without wishing to offend because I believe its your first go Jason your piece whilst ok on a blog or diary is lacking a lot if detail which the Ed should be asking you for. as an example, you mention that you switched to roach, but neglected to say if it was live or dead, believe it or not people are bothered and do want to know.

Also there are still numerous spelling mistakes or bad english present.
Ok to lay this to bed from the writers prospective....

1)Spelling/Gramma - I'm sorry for the spelling mistakes....I do my best to ensure it is correct before it goes for public view either on my blog or on any that I guest write for.....Image

2) Detail - It was ment to be a actual event/story re first time zander fishing, not a technical piece...I'm sure that the readers can work out for themselves if the roach is live or dead re reference to the coolbag...I think it would be pretty inhumane to store live fish i a coolbag;).... use I've mention the type of rigs use.....it not rocket science to running ledger and pastenoster......

However, thank you for you comments Mark....I hope my article in the coming issue of Pikelines will be of more interest to you....

TL

Jason

PS Chris, just want to get my points accross re the writer perstective of the article.Image

Jason,

for what its worth I never said that any of the articles were bad in fact none of them are and to be honest the spelling mistakes jibe was aimed more in a tongue in cheek way at Chris who as editor should be correcting them, we all make mistakes and I know that stuff of mine has needed editing in the past as would every other writers work.

I just thought that the content was going to be more varied than it is so far which has slightly gone overboard in the direction of the anecdotal or fiction type pieces.
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

BillCollins wrote:
I've been watching this topic from the sidelines(with amusement Image) and i must say that when the tables appear to be turning against Mark, he can be amazingly evasive. Like all of us, he obviously has quite an intense interest in pike. He makes(all or part of) his living from fishing. Yet he's vague at best about how many 25lb+ pike he's caught. A more general statistic Mark, how many 20lb+ pike have you caught.? Personally, i don't think that statistics are a true measure of the angler, but if you want to be taken seriously it helps if you have some good fish under your belt. Most serious anglers probably know exactly what they've caught. I'm an angling nobody and i know what i've caught. So come on Mark, try it, its called a STRAIGHT ANSWER...

Last time I had a tally up Bill that I could remember it was 25, havent updated the list recently, but it wont be much higher as I only had one last year just depends when I updated, so I will play safe and say 26 x twenties

56 x double figure zander to 15.01

11 x double figure tench to 11.04

10 x 3lb rudd to 3.08

2 x 7lb chub 13 x 6lbers best 7.11

1 x 40lb carp, 15 x 30lbers best 43.14 from a drain

God knows how many 3lb perch to 3.11

1 x 2lb roach of 2.14

I am quite happy with that number in comparison to the guys that I consider my peers locally thats around the same or a bit lower, but then I may just spend a winter fishing for chub or perch or even zander. I dont pike fish all winter long, in fact bar the day at Grafham, where we spent half after zander anyway, i havent pike fished at all yet this season.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

The content of the contributions to The Pike Pool, have thus far been exactly what I expected. A varied selection of pieces from a varied selection of people who mutually respect each other and want to give a little something and for no other reason than that!
There's no a**e kissing, bed feathering or product placement because no one is seeking to establish them selves with any one or anything and it's good, it's great and it's healthy!

(Long may it remain the same face)
Pete Foster
Perch
Perch

Post by Pete Foster »

Mark

26 x 20lb plus Pike and ten of them over 25lb

That's some ratio Image

2.6 in comparison to my own of 4.54

Pete
Remember to join my facebook group Radical Angling Developments Limited for information on exciting new products for anglers.

Ebay store: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/radicalanglingdevelopmentsltd
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Dave Horton wrote:
The content of the contributions to The Pike Pool, have thus far been exactly what I expected. A varied selection of pieces from a varied selection of people who mutually respect each other and want to give a little something and for no other reason than that!
There's no a**e kissing, bed feathering or product placement because no one is seeking to establish them selves with any one or anything and it's good, it's great and it's healthy!

(Long may it remain the same face)

Damn Dave Image ....Did I not mention that Steve Bowen manufactures the Billys Back Biters that where used to alert me to that fact that a pike or zander had picked up the bait Image ......holy hell!!!!!....What a mistaker to maker...thats a tenner lost straight away:shock: Image....I hope I didn't forget to mention the rod, reel, trace wire, hooks etc, etc manufacturers aswell....Image
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

Pete Foster wrote:
Mark

That's some ratio Image

Pete

Pete I did say about ten, it may well prove to be less by one or two when I can find my list. I can kinda see now why people keep diaries, but I did have some very good fishing on the jet ski lake for a while in fact thats just reminded me my PB is in PAC30 so if anyone has a copy theres number two
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

merlin wrote:
Pete Foster wrote:
Mark

That's some ratio Image

Pete

Pete I did say about ten, it may well prove to be less by one or two when I can find my list. I can kinda see now why people keep diaries, but I did have some very good fishing on the jet ski lake for a while in fact thats just reminded me my PB is in PAC30 so if anyone has a copy theres number two
Likewise, as we're primarily talking about pike here, i would have thought that your ratio of 25's to 20's was a bit steep Mark, even if you only have 8 or 9 as you suggest.
I've had a total of 83 x 20's, but only 16 of them are over 25lbs. I doubt if there are many waters with stocks which are staggered enough to give a ratio of 2.6 or even 3. I wish i could find one around here..!! Image. It might be an idea to start keeping a diary.....
Marcraft are for queers.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

merlin wrote:
I just thought that the content was going to be more varied than it is so far which has slightly gone overboard in the direction of the anecdotal or fiction type pieces.
Three out of five is overboard? As a man who professes to prefer anecdotal books to how to do it type books you are complaining? Image

As for your big fish list. Very good. How many different waters have your big fish come from - especially your tench? Image
Tomcox77
Chub
Chub

Post by Tomcox77 »

Jas

Enjoyed ta, why we would give a fook about spelling , punctuation etc is beyond me its in keeping with the forum and if it was ever printed it could be edited......

Chris

You could be a politician Image

Mark

These people do have other things in their lives ,FISHING, jobs , family etc as you do but your job is to write so you could probably spend more time on it than most..
Oh and the difference between a 21lb pike and a 25 and a half lb pike is 4 and a half lb Image
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

davelumb wrote:
As for your big fish list. Very good. How many different waters have your big fish come from - especially your tench? Image
Just one, I suspect. It's up for sale at the minute too, if you've got £400,000 or so to spare Image
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Steve Dennington wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Just one, I suspect. It's up for sale at the minute too, if you've got £400,000 or so to spare Image
I go halves with you Steve Image
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Jason Skilton PAC wrote:
I go halves with you Steve Image
I wish I could find a way, Jason Image

There are some incredible fish in there, and I was tempted to join the waiting list a few years back, but I just couldn't justify the expense of that and my current syndicate water.
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Dave Horton wrote:
Oh dear.

(How awfully embarrassing face)
Just had a read through this complete diatribe, and I have to say, for once Mr Horton you and I are in complete agreement..!

I dont think there really is anything else to say other than "how embarrassing".

You really are a prize t*t Mark.
Simon Farrow PAC
Chub
Chub

Post by Simon Farrow PAC »

Edward.P.A.C wrote:
Dave Horton wrote:
Oh dear.

Just had a read through this complete diatribe, and I have to say, for once Mr Horton you and I are in complete agreement..!

I dont think there really is anything else to say other than "how embarrassing".

Think that point of view is that we can all agree on it for a change Image Image
Narfuk boi who dont talk squit or suffer it

Alarm repairs/modifications/advice
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

As i've already mentioned, i don't regard statistics as anything other than a vague measure of the angler, more a reflection of where he fishes and how much effort he makes, but considering how much writing Mark has done on pike fishing and the amount of deliberation he has instigated on here, i really thought he would have had the experience of a few more big fish to back himself up with..? Image Image
Or do i just sound petty.?. I don't mean to.. Image
Marcraft are for queers.
popup1
Roach
Roach

Post by popup1 »

mark,
lets get things into perspective here. while i understand your comments regarding the pike pool articles,from your angling journalist point of view,
we`re talking about articles written by people who arent journalists and edited by someone who isnt a journalist. so to come here and try to belittle the authors and the mistakes made,and look down your "journalistic" nose at the articles content doesnt put you in very good regard imo. im not particularly bothered if there`s the odd spelling/grammar mistake in the story.....its the content that interests me...whether anecdotal or factual. i have to say ive enjoyed every article so far,and if p+p had put more articles of this nature in their mag i may have carried on buying it.

my 10 pence worth,
james.
ross
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by ross »

id like to submit an article in the near future but i havent got stories of catching big fish,would there be much interest in reading about catching pike under 10lb?its just a bit offputting as everyone wants to see articles about big fish and not the passion or time that goes into enjoying piking.
Marty
Chub
Chub

Post by Marty »

ross wrote:
id like to submit an article in the near future but i havent got stories of catching big fish,would there be much interest in reading about catching pike under 10lb?its just a bit offputting as everyone wants to see articles about big fish and not the passion or time that goes into enjoying piking.
its not all about the end result ross.

we all like to read about big pike captures, but to me its more about the journey along the way, an anglers philosophy, mindset, tactics and the reason he does what he does. An article that gets you thinking is always a good article in my book, regardless of whether it ends with a lump.

i'm sure hammy will give you a few pointers along the way if you need help - get writing fella! Image
TIGGER PAC
Roach
Roach

Post by TIGGER PAC »

merlin wrote:
BillCollins wrote:
I've been watching this topic from the sidelines(with amusement Image) and i must say that when the tables appear to be turning against Mark, he can be amazingly evasive. Like all of us, he obviously has quite an intense interest in pike. He makes(all or part of) his living from fishing. Yet he's vague at best about how many 25lb+ pike he's caught. A more general statistic Mark, how many 20lb+ pike have you caught.? Personally, i don't think that statistics are a true measure of the angler, but if you want to be taken seriously it helps if you have some good fish under your belt. Most serious anglers probably know exactly what they've caught. I'm an angling nobody and i know what i've caught. So come on Mark, try it, its called a STRAIGHT ANSWER...

Last time I had a tally up Bill that I could remember it was 25, havent updated the list recently, but it wont be much higher as I only had one last year just depends when I updated, so I will play safe and say 26 x twenties

10 x 3lb rudd to 3.08

1 x 2lb roach of 2.14

I am quite happy with that number in comparison to the guys that I consider my peers locally thats around the same or a bit lower, but then I may just spend a winter fishing for chub or perch or even zander. I dont pike fish all winter long, in fact bar the day at Grafham, where we spent half after zander anyway, i havent pike fished at all yet this season.

I must say though that is quite a tally of Zander one i would be very pleased with i love catching Zander
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Edward.P.A.C wrote:
Dave Horton wrote:
Oh dear.

Hmmm this is awkward!

(I'm not sure I think it's embarrassing anymore face)
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Dave Horton wrote:
Edward.P.A.C wrote:
Dave Horton wrote:
Oh dear.

Hmmm this is awkward!

(I'm not sure I think it's embarrassing anymore face)
Aahhhhh not awkward at all... Predictable maybe Image Image

Just goes to prove (as I already suspected) you're a man not to be trusted as you dont have the courage of your convictions....

(lets play face)
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

Anyone who wants to submit an article please don't be put off by the negativity. It is only by giving any willing writer a voice that we are going to unearth those hidden talents. I have enjoyed reading everybody's contributions thus far, and I appear not to be alone.

Let's be realistic here. The PnP mag will be lucky to survive in its current guise. I haven't read this month's mag myself but all those who have and have offered reviews seem united in the notion that it is exceedingly poor yet again. If we want to have engaging predator reading that extends beyond the tired old format of those penning stuff for no other reason than to collect a monthly wage projects like Steve Rowley's new venture and enthusiasts offerings like those offered in the Pike Pool are the way forward. So please get writing.

...otherwise you will end up suffering a heavily Hammond biased blog. Image
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
MichaelHPAC
Barbel
Barbel

Post by MichaelHPAC »

Like that Jason Image
Doing us proud Chris Image
Just say NO to the psycho right wing capitalist fascist industrial death machine
Luke
Chub
Chub

Post by Luke »

Anyway.....

Nice article Jason. I tried and failed to catch my first zander a few weeks back. Must give it another go sometime.
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

TIGGER PAC wrote:
merlin wrote:
BillCollins wrote:

10 x 3lb rudd to 3.08

1 x 2lb roach of 2.14

I must say though that is quite a tally of Zander one i would be very pleased with i love catching Zander
To be fair though mate thats from a lot of years fishing exclusively for them, there are others out there like I imagine Steve Younger and Dave Lavender that make that tally look silly, but then we were all at some point stricken with the zander bug in a big way. If I had spent the same amount of time dedicated to just catching pike then I dont imagine that my tally of twenties would be far off that but personally I have always found zeds a bit more interesting than pike, others think the opposite and it would be a dull old world if we all thought the same, something some people ought to remember on here.

These days I dont really have the time or inclination to do night after night after them, I prefer to target them with lures whenever I can, but if you fancy a trip sometime then I will try and put you on a few.
Dr. Crump
Chub
Chub

Post by Dr. Crump »

All this talk of 'proper' journalism is a bit s**t to be honest.

When I do my my occasional bits for the Guardian they get sub-edited to f**k.

Somebody else sorts out the typos and the punctuation. It's the quality of the writing and the story that matters..not bits of nit-picking.

The Pike Pool stuff is great. It's proper writing and a few 'mistakes' don't make it any less valid as 'journalism' or good writing.. despite what any 'clever' c**t might tell you.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

crump wrote:
All this talk of 'proper' journalism is a bit s**t to be honest.

When I do my my occasional bits for the Guardian they get sub-edited to f**k.

Somebody else sorts out the typos and the punctuation. It's the quality of the writing and the story that matters..not bits of nit-picking.

The Pike Pool stuff is great. It's proper writing and a few 'mistakes' don't make it any less valid as 'journalism' or good writing.. despite what any 'clever' c**t might tell you.
Why thank you crump...Image
big gay al
Roach
Roach

Post by big gay al »

Edward.P.A.C wrote:
Dave Horton wrote:
Oh dear.

Just done the same and have to agree, you really are a prize t*t Mark?, (but he,s our t*t face Image)
jay
Chub
Chub

Post by jay »

merlin wrote:
BillCollins wrote:

10 x 3lb rudd to 3.08

1 x 2lb roach of 2.14

I find it funny you can "remember" exactly how many other fish you have caught , yet you dont know exactly how many 20+ pike you have had, strange one thatImage Image Image
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

err i believe Jay that I said 26.

All i couldnt remember was whether had added on last years meagre effort!!!