Pike Pool (83) - Interview Sam Edmonds

An archive of our superb Pike Pool articles
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Pike Pool (83) - Interview Sam Edmonds

Post by Jason Skilton »

Mornin Pool siders,

The sun is shining, the weather is sweet...a new day is dawning :cool: .....so what better way to start a new month, than by the pool with an interview with a rising star of angling...

So grab yourself a slice of toast, dunk a rich tea in to the cuppa and sit back and read the latest piece from the pool :thumbs:

Enjoy!!!

http://thepikepool.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... monds.html
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Pike Pool (83) - Interview Sam Edmonds

Post by Dave Horton »

Nicely done both of you!

I live not far from Sam and have once or twice seen him and his Dad treading the same banks of our mutually local River lea. I kinda envy him his relationship with his father even more than I do his catches!

(It's really nice to see face)
lochhopper
Roach
Roach

Post by lochhopper »

Interesting article. Some of his viewpoints are the exact opposite of mine:
if we can change their views so that when someone mentions the word 'fishing', they think of it as being jazzed up, with flashy, vibrant, colourful rods, reels, lures, minimal kit all in a rucksack, not dressed in camo but more sporty, casual gear
It might be that this interview with Sam Edmonds is a sign of the times - I was born about a quarter century earlier than he was - but I hope not. I would like to think that angling carries on being a passtime for those who like to blend in with nature rather than a sport with the fish as unwilling accessory.

As for:
so they don't have to touch live worms and maggots
What are people who can't touch a maggot going to do when they catch a real live fish? Keep it at arm's length with a Boga grip?
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

Dave Horton wrote:
Nicely done both of you!

I live not far from Sam and have once or twice seen him and his Dad treading the same banks of our mutually local River lea. I kinda envy him his relationship with his father even more than I do his catches!

(It's really nice to see face)

Nice innit, I'd love it if me and my lad shared a lifetime of fishing adventures, its a good bond and hope my little guy can be a best mate and actually want to go! sam's caught some exception perch in his blog!
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

lochhopper wrote:
if we can change their views so that when someone mentions the word 'fishing', they think of it as being jazzed up, with flashy, vibrant, colourful rods, reels, lures, minimal kit all in a rucksack, not dressed in camo but more sporty, casual gear
It might be that this interview with Sam Edmonds is a sign of the times - I was born about a quarter century earlier than he was - but I hope not. I would like to think that angling carries on being a passtime for those who like to blend in with nature rather than a sport with the fish as unwilling accessory.

As for:
What are people who can't touch a maggot going to do when they catch a real live fish? Keep it at arm's length with a Boga grip?
yeah next thing you know we will have them roller blading or something......oh hang on!!!
Jake Hamilton
Chub
Chub

Post by Jake Hamilton »

lochhopper wrote:

As for:
All very well put :grin:
JAKE
"It's not the years, honey....it's the mileage"
Ddw
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Ddw »

I have met Sam and his Dad a few times on the Lea Navigation. He is a terrific young lad and the apple of his Dads eye, rightly so. Both of them are a pleasure to meet and if he is future of angling it is in safe hands. Angling is whatever the participant wishes it to be. If that is going off into the wilds
( my choice ) or wandering around an urban canal or river so be it.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Ddw wrote:
I have met Sam and his Dad a few times on the Lea Navigation. He is a terrific young lad and the apple of his Dads eye, rightly so. Both of them are a pleasure to meet and if he is future of angling it is in safe hands. Angling is whatever the participant wishes it to be. If that is going off into the wilds
( my choice ) or wandering around an urban canal or river so be it.
Bang on the money!

(To each their own face)
magicman
Perch
Perch

Post by magicman »

He has a great career in front of him and good luck to him but I don`t reckon his name is Sam,I`m sure his name is Marlon and works as a pub cook :laughs: :wave:
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

Excellent piece Jason.

The young fellow definitely has forthright views about angling and pretty much tunnel vision regarding lures. Personally I don't get the down the nose attitude of some modern lure anglers regarding the traditional old bait style fishing. I think bait angling still has an every bit as strong a following as artificial fishing in this country.

I suppose as out of kilter as they seem to me Sam's views on the way to bridge the gap between youngsters and angling probably make sense.

Very nice to read about such a close father/son bond in angling, and to hear Sam reminisce about some of their exploits as though he were recalling experiences with his best mate. Very solid that.

Well done Jason and Sam, a good read. :thumbs:
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
lochhopper
Roach
Roach

Post by lochhopper »

Ddw wrote:
Angling is whatever the participant wishes it to be.
Probably right... but give me the DPM jacket and a few thawing herrings any day! :laughs:
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

I enjoyed the article, SAMs obviously a well clued up lure angler and I can applause him for that, I am also a lure angler but if there is one thing I have picked up in my pike fishing decade and that's it does not pay to be a one trick pony and good anglers adapt to the situation, if I went out with lures all this season I would have struggled to catch much at all so you have to bring out the bait rods, be it dead or alive baits on their day can be the difference between a bad back and hundreds of casts or catching. Do not get me wrong lures are still my number one choice but dismiss bait at your peril :thumbs:
Perch are scared of wire, dont make me laugh!