Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Return of the Pike Pool

Post by Bucks Andy »

phil.c wrote: Sat May 23 2020 07:56 -
Biggthepool wrote: Fri May 22 2020 22:48 -
Bucks Andy wrote: Fri May 22 2020 15:02 -
An excellent read...

Having gone down a similar route to try and get extra distance I eventually ( after a lot of playing about ) came up with this..
Load a spool with only 120 yards of 50lb braid tied to the backing.. PVA the lead to the bait.. now the rod I was using was a 6lb tc Spod rod. After casting simply find the end of the braid cut it and thread it onto the rod you want to use.
Are you feeling ok Andy ? Or was this a joke ?
What Andy was saying is that he casts out and as he only has 120yds of braid on that reel, he can then find the end where it's tied to the backing and cut that..

Then tie it on to the rod and reel he is using for the fishing..

Although at first glance read as if he just cuts the braid.. :laughs:
:thumbs:

I thought I had explained it ok. But spot on phil.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

An excellent read...

Having gone down a similar route to try and get extra distance I eventually ( after a lot of playing about ) came up with this..
Load a spool with only 120 yards of 50lb braid tied to the backing.. PVA the lead to the bait.. now the rod I was using was a 6lb tc Spod rod. After casting simply find the end of the braid cut it and thread it onto the rod you want to use.
What Andy was saying is that he casts out and as he only has 120yds of braid on that reel, he can then find the end where it's tied to the backing and cut that..

And then tie braid to braid (on the second rod) and rely on the knot not giving? Seems a bit risky (unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick?) Why only 120yards? And every time you recast Andy?
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
cashybai
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by cashybai »

Creek Chub wrote: Thu May 21 2020 09:08 -
Thanks for the kind words guys, always nice to get good feedback A big thanks to Jason who had to lay it out.
John it was a very good read, mind I also remember the two parter you did in Pike & Predators which was very good reading as well.
Fenland Iniative
Biggthepool
Perch
Perch

Post by Biggthepool »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat May 23 2020 09:34 -
An excellent read...

And then tie braid to braid (on the second rod) and rely on the knot not giving? Seems a bit risky (unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick?) Why only 120yards? And every time you recast Andy?
Thankfully someone else thinking what iam thinking 😂
Bucks Andy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Bucks Andy »

An excellent read...

Chris.. The spool is backed with mono. Simply tie a figure of 8 loop on the end of the mono then Wind on the braid..put the reel on the spod rod and cast. Then find the end of the braid and cut it from the mono. Take the reel from the spod rod and put it on the rod you want to use. Thread the braid the wrong way down the rod and tie back on to the loop..
It takes a couple of minutes.
And before it’s asked what happens if you get a take while your doing this. It hasn’t happened yet.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Bucks Andy wrote: Sat May 23 2020 10:20 -
An excellent read...

Chris.. The spool is backed with mono. Simply tie a figure of 8 loop on the end of the mono then Wind on the braid..put the reel on the spod rod and cast. Then find the end of the braid and cut it from the mono. Take the reel from the spod rod and put it on the rod you want to use. Thread the braid the wrong way down the rod and tie back on to the loop..
And before it’s asked what happens if you get a take while your doing this. It hasn’t happened yet.
It strikes me that having the loop in the end of the braid and cutting the mono might be a better bet as it would keep the length of braid from getting shorter. Although that's probably not a big deal in practice. Having a reel on each rod would also be more efficient.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

An excellent read...

So if you cast to 140 yds you have to wind back 20 yds to find the end of the braid?
AndyLarkins
Perch
Perch

Post by AndyLarkins »

Straight outta the top draw that John.... brilliant! :thumbs:

"Woodmens" swim certainly sorted out the men from the boys :wink: ...Some proppa pioneering work undertaken on Fordy back in the day huh :wink:

Cheers for that chaps :cheers:

Andy
Image http://www.canterburypac.blogspot.com
"C'MON!.. Ya like a fat girl in red shoes" Andy Brown 2015
Bucks Andy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Bucks Andy »

Bob Watson wrote: Sat May 23 2020 11:33 -
An excellent read...

So if you cast to 140 yds you have to wind back 20 yds to find the end of the braid?
No simply put your speedos on and swim out..
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Bucks Andy wrote: Sat May 23 2020 11:53 -
An excellent read...

No simply put your speedos on and swim out..
Well unless I'm missing something and you can elaborate properly, it sounds like b******s to me!

The other scenario is if you only cast 70 yds, you have to pull 50 yds of braid off and have it flapping in the wind until you reattach it your reel!!
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Creek Chub wrote: Sat May 23 2020 09:00 -
suffolk si wrote: Fri May 22 2020 16:14 -
Casting the distance not a major problem for me, setting hooks( especially with mono) major ballache!
The line I use is Xzoga Busterlon (I get it from Tasmania) it was shown to me by two friends who used to go big game fishing in Australia on a fairly regular basis. It is very popular with charter boat skippers albeit in heavier breaking strains. It is pre-stretched as I mentioned and therefore helps with bite indication at range, it also helps with contact at range i.e. setting hooks, I honestly have never felt it a problem Si. Pre-stretched lines have had a bad press at times but Busterlon or Rubylon are in a different league to most pre-stretched lines, knot strength, abrasion resistance and breaking strain are all excellent and even impact strength is good, these lines are used in some pretty hostile situations. As I said I use it in 25lb bs and that’s what it breaks at, only downsides are it is quite expensive (for mono) and you have to send away for it therefore postage is high and there is a slight time delay in delivery.
I think the pre stretch element maybe what I’m missing I seem to lose a lot of fish at 70 yards plus on mono( no braid allowed there)there are quite a few jacks on the water though to be fair. Thanks for the advice 👍
Bucks Andy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Bucks Andy »

An excellent read...

Basically yes. Although that never happened. If it fell short I would reel in and try again.
I only posted is as an alternative way of casting further not to create pointless argument and derail a excellent thread.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Bucks Andy wrote: Sat May 23 2020 12:28 -
An excellent read...

Basically yes. Although that never happened. If it fell short I would reel in and try again.
I only posted is as an alternative way of casting further not to create pointless argument and derail a excellent thread.
That's the nature of threads, they wander as comments are made.

I genuinely believed I could be missing something, I simply gave an example that you could have either corrected or confirmed but your suggestion that I don my speedo's couldn't be the end of it. You then re-quote me, omitting your speedo reference and suggest arguments and thread derailment. I'm sorry but if you make posts about casting out, cutting and reverse threading rod eyes you've got to expect some sort of sceptical scrutiny.

I don't disbelieve you do it, I just find it a bit :dizzy:
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

An excellent read...

I've done exactly this myself Andy, when experimenting with a beach casting outfit, where bait boats were banned.

(Got a few odd looks face)
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Sorry,

I did mean to say that I enjoyed the article John. :thumbs:
Bucks Andy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Bucks Andy »

Dave Horton wrote: Sat May 23 2020 12:50 -
An excellent read...

I've done exactly this myself Andy, when experimenting with a beach casting outfit, where bait boats were banned.

Old toolmakers. Always thinking outside the box...
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Bucks Andy wrote: Sat May 23 2020 12:54 -
An excellent read...

Old toolmakers. Always thinking outside the box...
Indeed mate.

(Great innit face)
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

An excellent read...

So how do you establish the range you want to fish at? Andy stated 120 yds. What if you want to fish at 80 yds later in the session? Do you just waste 40 yds of braid so you can then attach 80 yds to the backing?

Do you have a reel loaded with 300 yds of braid, cast it 120 yds to your chosen mark, cut it off, reverse thread it and wind it back onto another rod/reel, so now you have a reel with 180 yds and a reel with 120 yds? :shrug:

Seriously, am I missing something??
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

Bob Watson wrote: Sat May 23 2020 13:02 -
An excellent read...

So how do you establish the range you want to fish at? Andy stated 120 yds. What if you want to fish at 80 yds later in the session? Do you just waste 40 yds of braid so you can then attach 80 yds to the backing?

Do you have a reel loaded with 300 yds of braid, cast it 120 yds to your chosen mark, cut it off, reverse thread it and wind it back onto another rod/reel, so now you have a reel with 180 yds and a reel with 120 yds? :shrug:

Well this isn't my debate to get into. but Andy said he would use this method when he wants to put a bait out a long way.

So if he only wanted to fish at 70 yards he would not put the reel on the heavy rod.

He would just use the standard rod and cast the required distance. :shrug:
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

An excellent read...

Over complicating it a bit maybe is all Bob? In my instance all I wanted was to be able to cast as far as I could, in order to present a bait where no one else was (often all the edge you need). I determined how far I could cast on my local field and with an 8oz lead and a 15ft beach casting rod, the 120M that Andy refers to was relatively easy to achieve. Connected using "Lumbys Loop" (average minds think alike) I simply put 20M or so more line on than I needed and away I went.
Not that I did it for this reason initially but I also used it to good effect when fishing into a strong head wind and convention methods were being hampered!

(Worked a treat face)
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Dave Horton wrote: Sat May 23 2020 13:31 -
An excellent read...

Over complicating it a bit maybe is all Bob? In my instance all I wanted was to be able to cast as far as I could, in order to present a bait where no one else was (often all the edge you need). I determined how far I could cast on my local field and with an 8oz lead and a 15ft beach casting rod, the 120M that Andy refers to was relatively easy to achieve. Connected using "Lumbys Loop" (average minds think alike) I simply put 20M or so more line on than I needed and away I went.
Not that I did it for this reason initially but I also used it to good effect when fishing into a strong head wind and convention methods were being hampered!

(Worked a treat face)

Cheers Dave, that makes a bit more sense :thumbs: So you'd still have to strip any uncast line off by hand before threading it back onto the "fishing" rod???
Bucks Andy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Bucks Andy »

Bob. I first used this on a local reservoir that is there for keeping the canal filled up.. in the summer the water level drops quite significantly and the shallow areas become dry..
one such area had a depression in it. Four foot deeper than the surrounding bed.. measured out it was 90 yards to the front and 120 to the back..one rod was always put into the depression..
if I wanted an 80 yard cast I would use another spool..
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

An excellent read...

Thanks Andy I appreciate the heads up but it's not for me mate. It's a bit like the lure anglers who claim they've never been bitten off on flouro. That doesnt make it acceptable. I'm not criticising you. I'm a great believer in the live and let live motto. :thumbs:

BTW Not meaning to grill you but what is the objective of changing to another rod and reel set up? Would it not be beneficial to stick with the beefier set up at that range?
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Bob Watson wrote: Sat May 23 2020 13:42 -
Dave Horton wrote: Sat May 23 2020 13:31 -
An excellent read...

(Worked a treat face)

Cheers Dave, that makes a bit more sense :thumbs: So you'd still have to strip any uncast line off by hand before threading it back onto the "fishing" rod???
Certainly.

(I did Bob face)
Bucks Andy
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Bucks Andy »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat May 23 2020 14:12 -
An excellent read...

Thanks Andy I appreciate the heads up but it's not for me mate. It's a bit like the lure anglers who claim they've never been bitten off on flouro. That doesnt make it acceptable. I'm not criticising you. I'm a great believer in the live and let live motto. :thumbs:

BTW Not meaning to grill you but what is the objective of changing to another rod and reel set up? Would it not be beneficial to stick with the beefier set up at that range?
Chris.. That spod was as stiff as a poker and not enjoyable playing a fish. Much prefer using a softer rod..
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Bucks Andy wrote: Sat May 23 2020 15:07 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Sat May 23 2020 14:12 -
An excellent read...

Chris.. That spod was as stiff as a poker and not enjoyable playing a fish. Much prefer using a softer rod..
Ah got you Andy.👍
pikin
Perch
Perch

Post by pikin »

Missed this until 30 minutes ago.
A superb article and very thought provoking.
I really enjoyed reading it.
Paul Ikin
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Re: Return of the Pike Pool (103) John Carver

Post by Muskie »

An informative read. However, i consider that if one is a competent caster that say .38 to 0.40 mm braid say 65lbs breaking strain main line with a shock leader of 40lbs big game mono will achieve similar results or thereabouts.
Creek Chub
Roach
Roach

Post by Creek Chub »

Sorry, I haven’t looked at this thread since a short while after I wrote the Pike Pool article, a mate pointed out this comment from Muskie. I never mix the two, braid and mono, as far as I’m concerned the two materials are incompatible although I do accept by going way over the top that in most pike fishing senario’s it’s not a problem. However to cast a heavy weight around 6/7 ounces a long way you have hit the rod very hard and move it very quickly. The main reason for a frap up when casting to extreme distances is a slight mis-timing or jerk during the wind up of the cast or the release of the cast. The heavy leader (heavy, thick, stiff mono)is leaving the spool at a certain speed, as soon the leader knot leaves the spool the somewhat lighter, thinner and softer braid will accelerate and travel much quicker than the mono leader and as I say any hint of a jerk or a slight mis-timing will cause the mainline (braid) to overtake the leader and therefore reach the butt ring before the last of the leader has passed through it, result frap up and a possible crack off !
The reason I use a 25lb mono mainline to a 35lb leader is because there is only a small difference in the weight, thickness and stiffness of the two lines (I also make sure I stretch out the leader before I cast it). It is also the reason I use a large (50mm) butt ring whipped as far up the butt section as possible, this gives the line a chance to settle.
In my opinion a 40lb Big Game mono leader to a 65lb Whiplash or Power Pro braid mainline is a recipe for a crack off.
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

Interesting analysis, but in the last 5 years never had a problem of using a heavy mono shock leader with braided mainline joined via a mahin connection. No frap ups or crack offs ever. I am casting a 4 ounce lead plus deadbait. My rods have a 40 mill ring as you describe up the blank.