Pike Pool 25 ( Rob Sidell )

An archive of our superb Pike Pool articles
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Re: Pike Pool 25 ( Rob Sidell )

Post by Bob Watson »

ChristopherH wrote:
A superb read that Rob, well done! Those pike look positively Swedish. Incredible markings! Nothing beats when a hunch is proven correct eh?

And the responses to the Pike Pool articles are making me wonder increasingly if James had got it slightly wrong with PnP? Most have been anecdotal and I can remember James often pointing out that he didn't think people wanted that kind of thing in the mag. It seems a mighty popular format amongst the board's members. Image
Hard to say IMO Chris.

Generally I think forums/web-sites/blogs attract people that like to read articles written by their peers/equals and mags attract people looking for instruction/education. I don't buy mags but I read a lot of on-line material purely because it's free Image only a click away and it suits me, I can relate to the authors and their pursuits.

The articles in the PP are excellent because of what they are and not who writes them and I mean that with utmost respect to the authors. It's like a mate in the pub telling you about his day and long may it continue.

I'm afraid I'm a bit guilty with my lack of praise for the PP articles Image but I've yet to read a poor one. Perhaps it'll be my first submission Image
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

Bob Watson wrote:
ChristopherH wrote:
A superb read that Rob, well done! Those pike look positively Swedish. Incredible markings! Nothing beats when a hunch is proven correct eh?

And the responses to the Pike Pool articles are making me wonder increasingly if James had got it slightly wrong with PnP? Most have been anecdotal and I can remember James often pointing out that he didn't think people wanted that kind of thing in the mag. It seems a mighty popular format amongst the board's members. Image
Hard to say IMO Chris.

Generally I think forums/web-sites/blogs attract people that like to read articles written by their peers/equals and mags attract people looking for instruction/education. I don't buy mags but I read a lot of on-line material purely because it's free Image only a click away and it suits me, I can relate to the authors and their pursuits.

The articles in the PP are excellent because of what they are and not who writes them and I mean that with utmost respect to the authors. It's like a mate in the pub telling you about his day and long may it continue.

I'm afraid I'm a bit guilty with my lack of praise for the PP articles Image but I've yet to read a poor one.
I was sort of assuming that the members of this forum were a significant proportion of the PnP readership Bob. Image
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Sorry Chris, I was thinking not just of the PnP mag but generally!

Emma Hamilton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Emma Hamilton »

Hi Chris,

interesting point. Would be good to get a few technical / intructional type articles. Something about lure fishing, a boat piece. We are on the hunt. Ive had a go at something non anecdotal for the first time, its hard !. If anyone can help then please shout !

Is the Pool just a bit of a "Love Fest" between friends?. Time will tell i suppose.

rob
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

Bob Watson wrote:

Actually Bob I thought it was a good point you made. I'm sure as you implied that the greater number of mag readers probably are looking for instructional stuff. I only made the point because from what I remember James was always pretty strongly against the idea of anecdotal pieces yet they seem mighty popular amongst the members on here.

The ideal IMO would be a spread of both types of articles.
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

Emma Hamilton wrote:
Hi Chris,

interesting point. Would be good to get a few technical / intructional type articles. Something about lure fishing, a boat piece. We are on the hunt. Ive had a go at something non anecdotal for the first time, its hard !. If anyone can help then please shout !

Is the Pool just a bit of a "Love Fest" between friends?. Time will tell i suppose.

rob
I'm sure there's an element of that Rob, but there are also some damn good reads on there. Better pieces in many cases than we've seen in the PnP mag in recent years for my money.
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
Emma Hamilton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Emma Hamilton »

The challenge is to keep it going. At the mo getting an article up every week is achievable, but over time that'll be more difficult unless the Pool expands and gets more well known.

We need a Monster somethng or other to blow away and tickle the fancy of the wider world.......... weve got one coming up !!

rob ( Oh Yes we have )
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

ChristopherH wrote:
Bob Watson wrote:

Actually Bob I thought it was a good point you made. I'm sure as you implied that the greater number of mag readers probably are looking for instructional stuff. I only made the point because from what I remember James was always pretty strongly against the idea of anecdotal pieces yet they seem mighty popular amongst the members on here.

I agree Chris, one point I will make is that there's only so much instruction you can take before you start thinking for yourself. One of the main reasons I stopped buying mags is that the instructional content seemed to be cyclic. You'd read the same stuff repeatedly after every year or two, no matter what type of fishing you do. Great for the beginner but when you've been fishing from boyhood you don't need to read how to plumb the depth or correctly shot a waggler. I don't profess to know all but I know enough about the ways I like to fish. As an example, I know very little about drifter fishing, it doesn't appeal to me so I don't waste my time reading about it. Others will. The beauty of the PP is that if someone writes an article on drifter fishing I'd no doubt read it because there'd probably be an end result and a story to tell as well the instructional piece.

Rambling now!!
Jock Gordon
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jock Gordon »

Quallity read Rob thoroughly enjoyed it Image
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Post by ChristopherH »

Bob Watson wrote:
ChristopherH wrote:
Bob Watson wrote:

I agree Chris, one point I will make is that there's only so much instruction you can take before you start thinking for yourself. One of the main reasons I stopped buying mags is that the instructional content seemed to be cyclic. You'd read the same stuff repeatedly after every year or two, no matter what type of fishing you do. Great for the beginner but when you've been fishing from boyhood you don't need to read how to plumb the depth or correctly shot a waggler. I don't profess to know all but I know enough about the ways I like to fish. As an example, I know very little about drifter fishing, it doesn't appeal to me so I don't waste my time reading about it. Others will. The beauty of the PP is that if someone writes an article on drifter fishing I'd no doubt read it because there'd probably be an end result and a story to tell as well the instructional piece.

Rambling now!!
Bob you don't post nearly enough. Your posts are always but always concise and full of plain common sense. I would love to see a piece from you on the Pool. Image

In my own case I often welcome the basic stuff on many topics, being largely clueless when it comes to the technical side of angling. Tbh I've always felt there is surprisingly little good solid basic pike fishing advice in the angling media.
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
Dunc the Biscuit
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Dunc the Biscuit »

ChristopherH wrote:

How true Mr H, and lets face it, we buy countless books to be inspired in our pursuit with stories of this nature held within (not all as well written as this one either)

Lovely read - thanks.Image
Rob Sidell
Roach
Roach

Post by Rob Sidell »

ChristopherH wrote:

Thanks Chris
KC
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by KC »

great stuff rob,look forward to your next one Image
Rob Sidell
Roach
Roach

Post by Rob Sidell »

KC wrote:

Cheers for that mate, but i think it would be nice to hear one from you, as i,m sure it would get everyone captivated!
Edward.P.A.C
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Edward.P.A.C »

Rob Sidell wrote:
KC wrote:

Cheers for that mate, but i think it would be nice to hear one from you, as i,m sure it would get everyone captivated!
+1 for that............. Image
BillPalmer
Perch
Perch

Post by BillPalmer »

Not out fishing my backs playing up, picking up lobs the other night for perching. So ive been reading the great pike pools articles again, well done guys. With all the brilliant stories, the next best thing.Image

Bill.
andy b
Chub
Chub

Post by andy b »

just catching up on the pool articles well written enjoyed it

andy
Andrew Berwick
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

What a nice article and pretty pretty Pike!

(Very well done Rob face)