Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Post Reply
Catfish Paul
Private
Private
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 03 2014 00:11

Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Catfish Paul » Sat Feb 10 2018 16:25

Hi Guys, this coming spring, I'm thinking about stret pegging and float fishing close in for tench, double figure carp etc.

I really like the idea of using a Centrepin.

But having never really used one before, was a little hesitant in spending £150 Plus on a Centrepin.

Are the budget reels any good?
If so, any recommendations?

Plus I was thinking of using one for pike fishing.

All and any advice greatly received

Creek Chub
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Oct 11 2011 05:00

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Creek Chub » Sat Feb 10 2018 17:51

If your going to use a centrepin for carp and pike go for a secondhand wide drum Grice and Young or a DAM Ever Ready, budget/cheap centrepins just aren't up to it.

User avatar
Mercman
Major
Major
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Sep 10 2016 13:25
Location: Essex PAC 102

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Mercman » Sat Feb 10 2018 18:19

Good advice above, secondhand Grice and Young Avon Royal Supreme for your general fishing. Good ones about £60.

If you can get a Grice and Young "big piker" then there's your pike reel Delboy uses one all the time for pike.
You can learn so much from old people that is why... Delboy is my 74 year old mentor
I am now.....Delboy's Mentor... :grin:

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 16448
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Kev Berry » Sat Feb 10 2018 18:52

I do a lot of centre pin fishing---my best one is a "made on nights at Rolls Royce" one which I bought when I was 14 for £6
always messing about with them, buying them etc use one whenever I can on the river

bought one of these a few years ago---pretty good, not break the bank either, they are machined as good as much more expensive reels

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TF-Gear-Class ... xygPtS6kFN

Catfish Paul
Private
Private
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 03 2014 00:11

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Catfish Paul » Sat Feb 10 2018 18:56

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Will have a look for some second-hand reels.

I'll have a look at the TFG one too.

Do you guys use mono or braid when pike fishing with a pin??

Catfish Paul
Private
Private
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 03 2014 00:11

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Catfish Paul » Sat Feb 10 2018 19:00

Kev- Would the TFG be suitable for carp and pike??

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 16448
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Kev Berry » Sat Feb 10 2018 19:57

Catfish Paul wrote:
Kev- Would the TFG be suitable for carp and pike??
its wide drummed but the actual diameter of the spool (not the outside of the reel) is about 3.5 inches---the Marco Cortesi ones, Matt Hayes and several others that are all based on the same reel look bigger but the actual spool dia is the same (not made anywhere near as well either) I have used both for barbeling with no trouble. However they are a bit slow when winding in.
I would try and get a reel with a bit bigger diameter spool for carp and pike---there are plenty to look at in the 4-5" range

theres plenty of reels based on the same TFG frame --

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CENTREPIN-FL ... 0005.m1851


the Mordex Merlin is another cheapish centre pin---a true centrepin as well ---pick them up for £45 or less (Ive got 4 :wink: )

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mordex-Merli ... SwJRZaegzm

if you get one fish it proper---line coming off the top :thumbs:

Catfish Paul
Private
Private
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 03 2014 00:11

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Catfish Paul » Sat Feb 10 2018 20:21

Thanks for the reply Kev

The Chinese generic reel looks great and certainly worth a punt at that price.

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 16448
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Kev Berry » Sat Feb 10 2018 20:43

Catfish Paul wrote:
Thanks for the reply Kev

The Chinese generic reel looks great and certainly worth a punt at that price.
same frame as the TFG just a few more holes drilled in it, cnc engineered, runs like a dream---just a smaller spool than I would like.
the reels with a bigger outside diameter (even though the actual spool is the same) will give you a better cranking power as well.

User avatar
suffolk si
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 2689
Joined: Thu Jul 03 2014 23:41
Location: broadland

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by suffolk si » Sat Feb 10 2018 22:19

That Rolls Royce of kevs is a beautiful bit of kit,I often think you enjoy catching bait on it more than the pike and zander kev😁!

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 16448
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Kev Berry » Sat Feb 10 2018 22:30

suffolk si wrote:
That Rolls Royce of kevs is a beautiful bit of kit,I often think you enjoy catching bait on it more than the pike and zander kev😁!
Ive had 48 years of absolute pleasure using it, still runs as good as the day I got it :thumbs:

martin(rockape)
Captain
Captain
Posts: 639
Joined: Fri Nov 14 2014 22:11
Location: Northamptonshire

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by martin(rockape) » Sun Feb 11 2018 01:23

Must say that centre pins are beautiful bits of kit and if i could i would happily collect them both old and new.

I bought an Addcock Stanton from the maker himself back in the 1990's and its a pleasurw to use.

About 3 years ago I caught my first and only pike on it albeit less than 2Lbs if that. Have to say it's harder work using a pin but worth a go.

Regards

Martin

fishandy
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Dec 05 2015 13:16

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by fishandy » Sun Feb 11 2018 02:18

hi kev was your pin made on the Stanton night shift have one made pre war before the alu minium became restricted to use apart from spitfire parts the guy who milled the one I have took an apprentice after the war whose name was cliff Adcock he went on to modify the original reel to make the Adcock Stanton very little difference between the two anti reverse if I remember right but I still use it to this day and under the rod end there is no better way of fishing a stick I can stand at the top of my stairs put one number 4 on the line and the reel pays out line slowly getting faster and faster a fabulous bit of engineering still working after 70 years

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 16448
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Kev Berry » Sun Feb 11 2018 09:16

fishandy wrote:
hi kev was your pin made on the Stanton night shift have one made pre war before the alu minium became restricted to use apart from spitfire parts the guy who milled the one I have took an apprentice after the war whose name was cliff Adcock he went on to modify the original reel to make the Adcock Stanton very little difference between the two anti reverse if I remember right but I still use it to this day and under the rod end there is no better way of fishing a stick I can stand at the top of my stairs put one number 4 on the line and the reel pays out line slowly getting faster and faster a fabulous bit of engineering still working after 70 years
They are very like the early Stantons. I belive they were made out of the centres of aluminium wheels that would have otherwise gone in the scrap bin. (Only found that out a while back) no ratchet on mine which is a pain at times....been threatening to make one for about 40 years :laughs:

User avatar
John Milford
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 2878
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by John Milford » Sun Feb 11 2018 12:26

Mercman wrote:
Good advice above, secondhand Grice and Young Avon Royal Supreme for your general fishing. Good ones about £60.

If you can get a Grice and Young "big piker" then there's your pike reel Delboy uses one all the time for pike.
Grice and Young reels, especially the 'Avon Royal Supreme' and 'Big Piker' seem to be growing in value, so worth pouncing on any decent one you see.

The A.R.S. is a great trotting reel. I sold my expensive Okuma centerpin and reverted to the G&Y, because the modern reel (with ball-bearings) was just too free running. Float control on the trot was a nightmare with it.

Regarding the 'Big Piker' they are very sought after these days and command prices nearer £200 than £100 (unless you're very lucky).

The Grice and Young 'Sea Jecta Mk III' is basically the same reel (but with a metallic rather than black finish) and can be picked up at a fraction of the price of a 'Big Piker'.

PS: Found a picture of the Sea Jecta model that the 'Big Piker' is based on:

Image
Last edited by John Milford on Tue Feb 13 2018 12:04, edited 2 times in total.
"...one of the least sensible and astute people on here ..."

I buy fishing rods.

User avatar
Mercman
Major
Major
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Sep 10 2016 13:25
Location: Essex PAC 102

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Mercman » Mon Feb 12 2018 13:31

John Milford wrote:
Mercman wrote:
Good advice above, secondhand Grice and Young Avon Royal Supreme for your general fishing. Good ones about £60.

If you can get a Grice and Young "big piker" then there's your pike reel Delboy uses one all the time for pike.
Grice and Young reels, especially the 'Avon Royal Supreme' and 'Big Piker' seem to be growing in value, so worth pouncing on any decent one you see.

The A.R.S. is a great trotting reel. I sold my expensive Okuma centerpin and reverted to the G&Y, because the modern reel (with ball-bearings) was just too free running. Float control on the trot was a nightmare with it.

Regarding the 'Big Piker' they are very sought after these days and command prices nearer £200 than £100 (unless you're very lucky).

The Grice and Young 'Sea Jecta Mk III' is basically the same reel (but with a metallic rather than black finish) and can be picked up at a fraction of the price of a 'Big Piker'.
Thanks for the info John.... :thumbs:
You can learn so much from old people that is why... Delboy is my 74 year old mentor
I am now.....Delboy's Mentor... :grin:

User avatar
Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 3067
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Next to the beer and BBQ

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Bob Watson » Mon Feb 12 2018 18:44

Kev Berry wrote:
fishandy wrote:
hi kev was your pin made on the Stanton night shift have one made pre war before the alu minium became restricted to use apart from spitfire parts the guy who milled the one I have took an apprentice after the war whose name was cliff Adcock he went on to modify the original reel to make the Adcock Stanton very little difference between the two anti reverse if I remember right but I still use it to this day and under the rod end there is no better way of fishing a stick I can stand at the top of my stairs put one number 4 on the line and the reel pays out line slowly getting faster and faster a fabulous bit of engineering still working after 70 years
They are very like the early Stantons. I belive they were made out of the centres of aluminium wheels that would have otherwise gone in the scrap bin. (Only found that out a while back) no ratchet on mine which is a pain at times....been threatening to make one for about 40 years :laughs:
Could you stick a pic up sometime please Kev. I aqcuired what I believe was a Rolls Royce pin when I lived in Nuneaton as a boy, now lost, god knows where!

A pic might jog my memory as to if it was the same as yours, but I suppose there were many different designs knocked up!

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 16448
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Kev Berry » Mon Feb 12 2018 19:03

Bob Watson wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
fishandy wrote:
hi kev was your pin made on the Stanton night shift have one made pre war before the alu minium became restricted to use apart from spitfire parts the guy who milled the one I have took an apprentice after the war whose name was cliff Adcock he went on to modify the original reel to make the Adcock Stanton very little difference between the two anti reverse if I remember right but I still use it to this day and under the rod end there is no better way of fishing a stick I can stand at the top of my stairs put one number 4 on the line and the reel pays out line slowly getting faster and faster a fabulous bit of engineering still working after 70 years
They are very like the early Stantons. I belive they were made out of the centres of aluminium wheels that would have otherwise gone in the scrap bin. (Only found that out a while back) no ratchet on mine which is a pain at times....been threatening to make one for about 40 years :laughs:
Could you stick a pic up sometime please Kev. I aqcuired what I believe was a Rolls Royce pin when I lived in Nuneaton as a boy, now lost, god knows where!

A pic might jog my memory as to if it was the same as yours, but I suppose there were many different designs knocked up!
on it tomorrow :thumbs:

User avatar
Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 3067
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Next to the beer and BBQ

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Bob Watson » Mon Feb 12 2018 19:22

Kev Berry wrote:
Bob Watson wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
fishandy wrote:
hi kev was your pin made on the Stanton night shift have one made pre war before the alu minium became restricted to use apart from spitfire parts the guy who milled the one I have took an apprentice after the war whose name was cliff Adcock he went on to modify the original reel to make the Adcock Stanton very little difference between the two anti reverse if I remember right but I still use it to this day and under the rod end there is no better way of fishing a stick I can stand at the top of my stairs put one number 4 on the line and the reel pays out line slowly getting faster and faster a fabulous bit of engineering still working after 70 years
They are very like the early Stantons. I belive they were made out of the centres of aluminium wheels that would have otherwise gone in the scrap bin. (Only found that out a while back) no ratchet on mine which is a pain at times....been threatening to make one for about 40 years :laughs:
Could you stick a pic up sometime please Kev. I aqcuired what I believe was a Rolls Royce pin when I lived in Nuneaton as a boy, now lost, god knows where!

A pic might jog my memory as to if it was the same as yours, but I suppose there were many different designs knocked up!
on it tomorrow :thumbs:
:thumbs:

User avatar
Fentiger01
Brigadier
Brigadier
Posts: 5417
Joined: Tue Sep 06 2011 05:00
Location: Soon to be the Gin Palace...

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Fentiger01 » Mon Feb 12 2018 21:56

Kev Berry wrote:
I do a lot of centre pin fishing---my best one is a "made on nights at Rolls Royce" one which I bought when I was 14 for £6
always messing about with them, buying them etc use one whenever I can on the river

bought one of these a few years ago---pretty good, not break the bank either, they are machined as good as much more expensive reels

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TF-Gear-Class ... xygPtS6kFN
Good call Kev!

I was looking at Centre Pins a few years ago and with a fair few of interest, Ian Crook recommended the TF Gear Classic. I've had it about 4 years, it's a lovely bit of kit. I like to use it small stream Grayling fishing but have also used it during stillwater conditions for Roach fishing, nice bit of kit for the money :thumbs: .
"The EU is the old Soviet Union but dressed in Western clothes" - Mikhail Gorbachev

Catfish Paul
Private
Private
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 03 2014 00:11

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Catfish Paul » Tue Feb 13 2018 22:45

:thumbs: I have ordered 2 Centerpin off eBay, the ones Kev recommended/put a link up for.
£60 for 2 delivered...

Once received, which maybe a few weeks, I will post my first impressions of them.

Can't wait to get my mits on them :thumbs: :thumbs:

Kev Berry
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 16448
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: Robin Hood country

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Kev Berry » Thu Feb 15 2018 17:56

Bob Watson wrote:
Kev Berry wrote:
fishandy wrote:
hi kev was your pin made on the Stanton night shift have one made pre war before the alu minium became restricted to use apart from spitfire parts the guy who milled the one I have took an apprentice after the war whose name was cliff Adcock he went on to modify the original reel to make the Adcock Stanton very little difference between the two anti reverse if I remember right but I still use it to this day and under the rod end there is no better way of fishing a stick I can stand at the top of my stairs put one number 4 on the line and the reel pays out line slowly getting faster and faster a fabulous bit of engineering still working after 70 years
They are very like the early Stantons. I belive they were made out of the centres of aluminium wheels that would have otherwise gone in the scrap bin. (Only found that out a while back) no ratchet on mine which is a pain at times....been threatening to make one for about 40 years :laughs:
Could you stick a pic up sometime please Kev. I aqcuired what I believe was a Rolls Royce pin when I lived in Nuneaton as a boy, now lost, god knows where!

A pic might jog my memory as to if it was the same as yours, but I suppose there were many different designs knocked up!
sorry a bit late Bob, was fishing yesterday. Had to clean the maggot juice and fish snot paternation off as well :laughs:

Note the ACME patented anti reverse mechanism :thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 3067
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Next to the beer and BBQ

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Bob Watson » Thu Feb 15 2018 18:02

Looks similar as I recall Kev, I seem to remember a bit of black on mine :shrug:

Thanks for posting.

You could have used black elastic, that orange really clashes :wink:

User avatar
John Milford
Colonel
Colonel
Posts: 2878
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by John Milford » Fri Apr 20 2018 21:48

Catfish Paul wrote:
Hi Guys, this coming spring, I'm thinking about stret pegging and float fishing close in for tench, double figure carp etc.

I really like the idea of using a Centrepin.

But having never really used one before, was a little hesitant in spending £150 Plus on a Centrepin.

Are the budget reels any good?
If so, any recommendations?

Plus I was thinking of using one for pike fishing.

All and any advice greatly received
I've been out with my Grice & Young 'Golden Eagle' today. Had twelve carp to nudging double figures and the reel performed brilliantly and was very enjoyable to use. They can still be picked up relatively cheaply and are a sturdier reel than the pricier Avon Royal Supreme, with a heavier guage spindle. :thumbs:

Image
"...one of the least sensible and astute people on here ..."

I buy fishing rods.

Mike J
Major
Major
Posts: 1830
Joined: Wed Nov 09 2016 09:26
Location: Wessex

Re: Budget Centerpin reels - Are they worth it

Post by Mike J » Sat Apr 21 2018 09:51

Snap
IMG_0127.JPG


Fred Taylor 'pin, Hardy Specialist Float, 4lb Ultima.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply