Braided line for trotting

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Braided line for trotting

Post by Mike J »

First time I fished with braided line on a centrepin for trotting.
A new water, great opportunity to fish for pike but no knowledge of what was available.

Positives
When holding steady Minnow nibbles could be easily detected, Dace would self hook against the rod top.
With the Wallis the braid cast easily and 3-4 yards further than my usual mono, I did not dish beyond 20m.
No digging in with fish to 8oz.
The float remained at the set depth on the strike.

Negatives
Tendancy to wrap the top section during rain or poor rod handling.
Extra care required when unwinding an overrun, but certainly fewer overuns were than with mono (lack of elasticity?)
One knot only, 3mins to unpick.
Reducing the power of the strike was less of a problem than I first thought, not really a negative but worth mentioning.
Added; when cleaning the reel found the red maggot dye had marked the line section where it was pulled from the reel.

Line - 75m 16lb Spiderwire White (why choose white, because I was thinking fishes bellies)
Reel - 4.5" centrepin.
Set-up, for those interested - 13ft rod, 6lb fluorocarbon, 3grm trirubber Avon, ollivette, 24 swivel, 3lb flouro, Red 16.

Catch - Dace 50+, Minnows 70+
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Braided line for trotting

Post by Stewlaws »

Out of interest Mike ...what size are the dace, I struggle to get through the smaller ones where I fish
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Braided line for trotting

Post by Mike J »

Oh don't ask pleeeeeese!

Two around 8oz, half a dozen 4-6ers and the rest 30 to the pound!
Im blaming it on the lack of cormorants :laughs:
Did get a nice Roach, I think its my fifth in ten years from the river.
One thing I did notice was that the hook point kept dulling even though I wasn't touching anything but fishes lips, seemed a bit odd?

Must get my Dace book out and see how long it takes for. 2.5"er to grow to bait size.

Cheers.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus