Sea fishing novice

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Sea fishing novice

Post by zodiac »

Hey guys. I have a week on Skye coming up, in a cottage on the coast. I've packed my usual travel gear, I was just intending to throw some feathers about or do a bit of lure fishing, but that's about the extent of my sea fishing knowledge.
Having just done a bit of research in to fishing in the area, it seems im heading for a bit of a hotspot! Conger and rays are regularly caught from the shore, bass, cod, Pollack are all fairly common by all accounts. So I'm going to pack proper gear but I don't really know what to expect? Will my 3.5 tc pike rods be ok? With a 10,000 baitrunner? Am I better with braid or heavy nylon? I was planning on my big baitrunner I use for drifting, which has 50 lb braid, with a heavy nylon shock leader for stretch if I'm casting big weights? If I'm fishing for conger or rays is it basically pumping half a mackerel as far as I can? Lots of questions!
Cheers in advance for any help..
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Sea fishing novice

Post by Mike J »

Some of the rays up there are bigger than barn doors.
You'd be better casting small metal lures or float fishing bait for the numberous pollack, which wont be to big (under 3) but numberous enough to bend your rod regularly and make excellent eating fried, curried in coconut or grilled.
Conger are one thing in the water and completely another on land, fish a polly head at dusk to discover, stab behind the head to sudue.

Flinging metal lures may even find you an escapee salmon, but of course they have to be returned........
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Whatever freshwater gear of yours you choose to use in the salt, make sure to wash/clean properly at the end of your break, salt will do it no good if left.

Enjoy your stay.

:thumbs:
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Cheers guys. What kind of float fishing Mike? I'm assuming I don't need to do anything too refined?
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
FN19
Roach
Roach

Post by FN19 »

have a look on google maps see if there`s a river flowing in where you are, take a fly rod for a bit of salmon and sea trout fishing if the seas are too ruff
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

zodiac wrote: Sun Jul 07 2019 15:21 -
Cheers guys. What kind of float fishing Mike? I'm assuming I don't need to do anything too refined?

Nothing refined, the fish will not have seen whatever you use so play around with ideas.

I use a basic sliding float, fixed leads above a swivel, a long 3-4ft trace 1-2/0 hook through one end of a long cuttle tentacle or salted belly strip.
The long trace means when the float goes the bait is already well inside the mouth.
Chucked out anywhere with enogh water to cover a fishes back for Bass, over and around rocks for Pollack, slowly retrieved for anything, even better behind a fly spoon.

Fish the flood (incoming) tide ar dusk or my favourite time, the ebb (going out) just as dawn breaks, pure magic and fresh fish for breakie :grin:

Get a plastic container, fill with cheap salt and take it with you.
From your first fish cut thin belly strips apx 1/2" wide from the belly, dry on a towel/paper and keep them buried in the salt, they will last for years without freezing and still catch.

Enjoy :thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Flipflopjoe
Chub
Chub

Post by Flipflopjoe »

As already said, you might be best Lure fishing or float fishing for smaller species.
Rays can sucker themselves to the sea bed when hooked and can be a pig to get moving, a 7-8lb ray can even make it hard work for my 13ft 4-6oz rated beach casters at times.
If you really wanna have a pop for them tho and don’t wanna start buying sea gear, a spod rod of 5lbtc or more (if you have one) will be your best bet for shifting them and dealing with whatever tide pull you’ve got there.
Herring slice or squid on a pulley pennel rig will catch the buggers :thumbs:
If you do target them and plan to return them, be careful if you fish the ebb as they can have a tendency to sit and sulk for awhile when returned and let the tide drop away from them beaching themselves. I’ve had fish I’ve had to pick up and throw back in 3 or 4 times before they swim away.
Failing that, keep one, skin the wings and shallow fry in butter :thumbs: booty’ful !
Joe Birch
“There’s a fine line between fishing, and standing on the bank like an idiot!”
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

So I reckon the answer to 'will I get away with beefed up heavy pike gear?' Is probably no? The heaviest rods I have are bb350s but I won't be soiling them, although I have an old cheap fox rod that says it's 3.25tc but feels like decimal point is in the wrong place. I'll probably just take that for ledgering and heavy float fishing about the rocks and bays. And I have a box of full of old Dexter wedges, one eyed jacks and big tobies and spoons, I'll have enough to keep me occupied.
Although I suspect after a few beers I'll wander down at dusk and heave out a big macky head, let's see how my 15lb diawa sensor copes lol.
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Mike J wrote: Tue Jul 09 2019 12:26 -

Nothing refined, the fish will not have seen whatever you use so play around with ideas.

I use a basic sliding float, fixed leads above a swivel, a long 3-4ft trace 1-2/0 hook through one end of a long cuttle tentacle or salted belly strip.
The long trace means when the float goes the bait is already well inside the mouth.
Chucked out anywhere with enogh water to cover a fishes back for Bass, over and around rocks for Pollack, slowly retrieved for anything, even better behind a fly spoon.

Fish the flood (incoming) tide ar dusk or my favourite time, the ebb (going out) just as dawn breaks, pure magic and fresh fish for breakie :grin:

From your first fish cut thin belly strips apx 1/2" wide from the belly, dry on a towel/paper and keep them buried in the salt, they will last for years without freezing and still catch.

Mike , when you say a sliding float, do you mean a float ledger or should I stop it in midwater?
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

zodiac wrote: Wed Jul 10 2019 23:05 -
Mike J wrote: Tue Jul 09 2019 12:26 -

Mike , when you say a sliding float, do you mean a float ledger or should I stop it in midwater?

If it's off the rock then what I do/did is make it so your depth is adjustable, rock is never a smooth surface bottom. By adjusting you can find out if most fish will be mid or low water etc.

Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Hi Zodie,
Below are the floats that I use, the long slim tube thro design is less effect by surface wind, cast well and with a bead and stop knot are fully adjustable for all situations.
They can also be modified into self cockers, damaged or trimmed down without fear of water damage or need to repaint.
Best of all they are cheaper than chips and work equally well in the fresh.

IMG_1790.JPG

The fat float is a slider that will take a Starlight, a design that is very popular in Europe, I fish it in midwater with a raw prawn or small live crab.
The float below has been converted into a self cocker with lead wire, a rubber tube and swivel wrapped in self amalgamating tape.
The lower two are basic sliders, I modify these by stuffing a small jewellery bead in the top of the tube.

:handshake:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Cheers guys. I reckon I’ve got a few deadbait pencils I could improvise with. I’ve also ordered some junk from China on amazon. A set of 10 floats for about 60p! If I get a few days out of them I’ll be quite happy. They’re basically disposable floats.
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel

Post by fergie68 »

I used to have good fun off the rocks out on Barra with a carp rod and shimano bait runner with 15lb mono. Plenty big pollock and cod. I used tobys coasters etc and cheapo sea lures as I lost a lot. Shads were good and paternoster muppet tipped with mackerel soon got nailed if there were cod about.
Strangly those eddystone eels were crap I never had a single fish of any kind on them.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
Antony
Chub
Chub

Post by Antony »

Zodiac mate take a couple of dexter wedges with you.They are great for fishing off the shore and rocks.Cheap as chips and you can cast out far further then any lure in your tackle box.
Going fishing ? Don’t forget ya camera!!
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Antony wrote: Sun Jul 14 2019 12:07 -
Zodiac mate take a couple of dexter wedges with you.They are great for fishing off the shore and rocks.Cheap as chips and you can cast out far further then any lure in your tackle box.
Yes mate, I have a few Dexter wedges, one eyed jacks, and big old tobies. :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

As your a jock try the handle off a stainless tea spoon.
You might have to heat the ends to soften before drilling but they catch like blazes.

zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

I'm assuming that's why 'spoons', as in the lure, are called as such, because they used to actually be made out of old spoons?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Some of the most effetive bass lures Ive ever made are from complete stainless steel table knives.
I couldn't begin to count how many fish Ive caught on them, everyone who has seen me use them is amazed how effective they are, just a couple of holes, two stick-on eyes, a dab of waterproof marker and a single hook, simples!
Will post a pic if anyones interested?
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Mike J wrote: Fri Jul 19 2019 11:33 -
Some of the most effetive bass lures Ive ever made are from complete stainless steel table knives.
I couldn't begin to count how many fish Ive caught on them, everyone who has seen me use them is amazed how effective they are, just a couple of holes, two stick-on eyes, a dab of waterproof marker and a single hook, simples!
Will post a pic if anyones interested?

Yes please Mike, I still have a couple of weeks till I go on my trip, plenty of time to make some home made lures..
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Well, im off on Sunday,. Nearby is Elgol, a wee place which runs boat trips at this time of year. But I'm hoping to do some solo fishing on the rocks and bays nearer my cottage, which is a few miles along the coast. I've had a look on Google earth and there's lots of likely looking points and bays within walking distance. Really looking forward to it!!
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel

Post by fergie68 »

I seem to remember there were bass being caught fairly regularly up there a few years back. Definitely a chance of a Seatrout at this time of year too.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP