Post by Nige Johns »

Has anyone seen a picture of it In the comics,looks a proper fat pig
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: 20lb Barbel from the Terrence

Post by davelumb »

Aye, sure does look porky.

That big zed from the other river looked a good un too.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Yep both look huuuge, records come end of season I would thinkπŸ‘
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Tremendous B'.

:thumbs:
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

What a fish!
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

It's sad that beautifully streamlined fish like barbel are becoming fat blobs due to the massive amounts of baits being chucked in the river, this season seems to be worse than ever.
Some of them don't think you can catch if you don't put 10kg of bait down before you start.
Barbel, the new carp?
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Daniel wrote: ↑Tue Jul 07 2020 12:46 -
It's sad that beautifully streamlined fish like barbel are becoming fat blobs due to the massive amounts of baits being chucked in the river, this season seems to be worse than ever.
Some of them don't think you can catch if you don't put 10kg of bait down before you start.
Barbel, the new carp?
that barbel was full of spawn, be down to about 17 ish now

I was at a RTJAC meeting a while back, the EA attended and did amongst other things a talk/slide show on barbel.
The Trent barbel AND chub apparently grow 2.5 times faster in the Trent than anywhere else.

The talk and slideshow debate was--- is this down to the impact of boilies pellets etc

One of the EA chaps had done a lot of research going back a 100 years to the days of the "Trent Otter" (JW Martin)
This was when the Trent had natural barbel stocks before they all got wiped out by pollution.
The conclusion was the barbel back then reached the same size AND had the same growth rates as now, and that the big Trent barbel do not need anglers baits .
The Trent is a big barbel producer on its own due to the amount of natural food without these failed carp anglers bucketing bait in.

By the way-----I do guided trips on that stretch of river it came from :wink:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Barbel, the new carp?
It's been that way for over a decade.

As Kev says though, Trent barbel are pigs. Even well away from the boilie carpets.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

davelumb wrote: ↑Tue Jul 07 2020 15:06 -
Barbel, the new carp?

As Kev says though, Trent barbel are pigs. Even well away from the boilie carpets.
I'm not so sure they get much out of many of the baits we use Dave
Out fishing for barbel with Si and he got one within about 20 mins of starting.
Think it was around 11lb something, he held it up for a photo and it promptly had a dump on him :laughs:
The "dump" was the shrimp and krill ground bait and pellets we were using, no chance of it being anybody elses.
Not the first time this has happened, so what nutrition do they actually get from anglers baits if they pass through so quickly?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Kev Berry wrote: ↑Tue Jul 07 2020 15:15 -
Barbel, the new carp?

Think it was around 11lb something, he held it up for a photo and it promptly had a dump on him :laughs:
The "dump" was the shrimp and krill ground bait and pellets we were using, no chance of it being anybody elses.
Not the first time this has happened, so what nutrition do they actually get from anglers baits if they pass through so quickly?
I think barbel are like Labradors once they see food. Eat, eat, eat until they're sick then start again. Maybe that's what's happening? I can't say I've ever had barbel dump on me though.

Bream and other fish will mop up a lot of bait on the T as well.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

davelumb wrote: ↑Tue Jul 07 2020 15:23 -
Barbel, the new carp?

I think barbel are like Labradors once they see food. Eat, eat, eat until they're sick then start again. Maybe that's what's happening? I can't say I've ever had barbel dump on me though.

Do you think they've "learned" to get it while it's there?? Because if left it'll soon be gone??
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Bob Watson wrote: ↑Tue Jul 07 2020 18:30 -
davelumb wrote: ↑Tue Jul 07 2020 15:23 -
Barbel, the new carp?

Do you think they've "learned" to get it while it's there?? Because if left it'll soon be gone??
Labradors or barbel? I think they're both plain ol' greedy.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Barbel, the new carp?

Was it genuine shrimp and krill or something formulated from other products that could have been indigestible.
Barbel must eat pounds of Caddis which has a case constructed from wood and grit so getting rid of rubbish must be part of their evolution.

At trade shows I have seen machines and chemists that produced fish related items that are almost indistinguishable in taste and shape from the original items.

Eg; does anyone really think there is any degree of Halibut in the zillions of pellets that are being sold or that the Scampi we eat is made from genuine Langoustine/Dublin Bay Prawns?

:shrug:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: ↑Wed Jul 08 2020 11:43 -
Barbel, the new carp?

Was it genuine shrimp and krill or something formulated from other products that could have been indigestible.
Barbel must eat pounds of Caddis which has a case constructed from wood and grit so getting rid of rubbish must be part of their evolution.

At trade shows I have seen machines and chemists that produced fish related items that are almost indistinguishable in taste and shape from the original items.

Eg; does anyone really think there is any degree of Halibut in the zillions of pellets that are being sold or that the Scampi we eat is made from genuine Langoustine/Dublin Bay Prawns?

I thought halibut pellets were for feeding halibut, not made of halibut. Or are trout pellets made of trout? :laughs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Barbel, the new carp?

Mike the halibut pellets, carp pellets, sturgeon pellets, trout pellets etc are all called those names because they are formulated for feeding those fish in the aquaculture trade. They dont contain what their name is.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Kev Berry wrote: ↑Wed Jul 08 2020 13:50 -
Barbel, the new carp?

Mike the halibut pellets, carp pellets, sturgeon pellets, trout pellets etc are all called those names because they are formulated for feeding those fish in the aquaculture trade. They dont contain what their name is.

But do the pellets your using actually contain genuine coldwater krill?

In the early 70's I was trying to grow trout for a fishery, back then pellets were had to obtain so I made my own using a pelleting machine of a large pig farm, very expensive bags of krill, ground wheat as a bulking agent and it produced pellets with a pinkish hue.
But the cost of the krill proved to much even back then which makes me wonder of there is genuine krill in the pellets your barbel are sh1tting out.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Mike J wrote: ↑Wed Jul 08 2020 14:06 -
Barbel, the new carp?

In the early 70's I was trying to grow trout for a fishery, back then pellets were had to obtain so I made my own using a pelleting machine of a large pig farm, very expensive bags of krill, ground wheat as a bulking agent and it produced pellets with a pinkish hue.
But the cost of the krill proved to much even back then which makes me wonder of there is genuine krill in the pellets your barbel are sh1tting out.

the pellets have 35% protein, doesnt say what fish meal is used----all anglers pellets are just ordinary aquaculture pellets sprayed with dye colour flavouring to suit
the liquids contain krill, my rep told me when it first came out they had put too much krill in it and the next batch would be weaker

Krill meal is a bit dearer than fish meal----$2.5 kilo compared with $1.5 dollar kilo for anchovy meal (per ton price)---krill has been much dearer
http://www.tharos.biz/krill-meal-and-kr ... -and-oils/
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Kev Berry wrote: ↑Thu Jul 09 2020 09:41 -
Mike J wrote: ↑Wed Jul 08 2020 14:06 -
Barbel, the new carp?

the pellets have 35% protein, doesnt say what fish meal is used----all anglers pellets are just ordinary aquaculture pellets sprayed with dye colour flavouring to suit
the liquids contain krill, my rep told me when it first came out they had put too much krill in it and the next batch would be weaker

Krill meal is a bit dearer than fish meal----$2.5 kilo compared with $1.5 dollar kilo for anchovy meal (per ton price)---krill has been much dearer
http://www.tharos.biz/krill-meal-and-kr ... -and-oils/

Top reply.

:thumbs: