Knots

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Andy Tibbott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Knots

Post by Andy Tibbott »

Hi all,

I'm looking at doing away with a swivel type connector in my barbel fishing when connecting my main line to a coated or fluro hooklnk as I have had too many line failures on the main line swivel knot despite using new good line, Gardner Hydro Tuff, new Korum swivels and tried both Palomar and uni-knots.

I was thinking of a loop to loop connection or would a knotted connection, Albright or Water knot be stronger and more reliable?

Thanks

Andy
juttle
Perch
Perch

Re: Knots

Post by juttle »

If I was doing it it’d be a double uniknot!
Bob
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I recently found this knot and a couple of decent pollock (which pull hard) tested it with 20lb 8XJ braid and 17lb fluro.

I won't use another braid to fluro/mono knot now!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEZRt_A ... dex=3&t=5s[/youtube]
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

Andy I can’t see how you’ve had a uni knot fail,I wouldn’t use anything else no matter what bs line I was using
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Uni-Knot should be fine in mono and coated braid. Not supposed to be so good in fluoro.
BigMarty91
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by BigMarty91 »

wheres Mike J he'll put you right, he loves a good knot thread.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't actually know, its something I think I remember being said about leaving your rods made up with mono knotted to a swivel etc and isn't snipped and retied every couple sessions water deteriorates the mono pretty quickly.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Andy Tibbott wrote: Thu Oct 01 2020 15:28 -
Hi all,

I'm looking at doing away with a swivel type connector in my barbel fishing when connecting my main line to a coated or fluro hooklnk as I have had too many line failures on the main line swivel knot despite using new good line, Gardner Hydro Tuff, new Korum swivels and tried both Palomar and uni-knots.

I was thinking of a loop to loop connection or would a knotted connection, Albright or Water knot be stronger and more reliable?

Thanks

Andy

If your running line is spectra braid use the Justice Knot to attach a fluoro leader, as close to 100% and it will outtest all but double Biminis and catspaw.
For those who dont breakdown their rods the Justice knot is the knot to use, I have had the same knot tied for a whole season without a problem.

The knot is constructed by treating the two lines as a single line, keep the loops of equal size and tighten slowly and carefully to ensure both lines tighten evenly.
Take your time because once the knot is finished you wont need to construct another unless you break off.

IMG_2154.JPG

:handshake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Andy Tibbott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Andy Tibbott »

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I found the Palomar the most unreliable yet it is supposed to be a decent knot :shrug: I'll try the uni knot again to tie my mainline mono to the swivel. Whats your views, once or twice through the eye?

Mike, I'm using a 15lb mono mainline, wanting to connect to Fluro or coated braid hook links, would the Justice Knot still be suitable?

Andy
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Andy Tibbott wrote: Fri Oct 02 2020 15:40 -

I found the Palomar the most unreliable yet it is supposed to be a decent knot :shrug: I'll try the uni knot again to tie my mainline mono to the swivel. Whats your views, once or twice through the eye?

Mike, I'm using a 15lb mono mainline, wanting to connect to Fluro or coated braid hook links, would the Justice Knot still be suitable?

Andy

Yes, tie up a couple and test to destruction to develop confidence.
IMGP1430.JPG
Justice knot - 16lb braid to 6lb Fluorocabon.
Coin is 5p, 16lb - 8X Spiderwire, 6lb Rio fly leader (fuzz is unravelled braid).

The Palomar is a good knot for mono but hopeless for Fluoro, this is because quality Fluoro is a solid material and it will crack if wrapped around anything smaller than its own diamenter, whereas mono has voids of air (up to 25%) which allow the material to bend without significant weakning.
This is why connections in fluoro must be pulled up really tight compared to those in mono.

I use the Tuna Knot to connect mono or fluoro to a hook, swivel or link.
It is simple to tie and tests at near 100% of line BS.
IMG_2173.JPG

:handshake:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mike J on Sat Oct 03 2020 20:31, edited 2 times in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Andy Tibbott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Andy Tibbott »

Thanks Mike :handshake:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Andy Tibbott wrote: Sat Oct 03 2020 18:55 -
Thanks Mike :handshake:
Check again, pics added and incorrect how-to deleted.

(I was interupted by dinner being ready so I rushed it)

Have fun, if you get stuck comeback :handshake:
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Great info from Mike, i will have a play with the tuna knot.

Andy, the most reliable knot I have found with fluro is figure of 8 loop. I use it to connect swivels and leaders when carp fishing.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

Fluorocarbon varies a lot. Some is mono with a fluorocarbon coating. Others are pure fluorocarbon.

Brands vary too.

Cheap flourocarbon when it breaks tends to shatter like it is splitting along a horizontal plane.

Expensive flurorocarbon such as Seaguar or GrandMax does not as it has cross polymers incorporated in its manufacturing process which means it acts more like mono and has some impact elasticity.

Tiger line breaks like cotton with a grinner knot yet with a palomar it is unbreakable by hand.

If using a premium flourocarbon such as Seaguar GrandMax then it can be tied with a grinner knot.

I generally use a three turn surgeons loop at one end of mono (Gardner GT80 usually) and then a blood knot connection to fluorocarbon and grinner knot to hook. Once through eye of hook with flouro two loops through eye has no benefit in my experience. both brands mentioned above. Never had a failure.

I use this for fly leaders a
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Hi all,

Thanks

Andy
Why do you want to use fluro for barbel?
Andy Tibbott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Andy Tibbott »

Kev Berry wrote: Mon Oct 19 2020 11:06 -
Hi all,

Thanks

Andy
It's in my tackle bag as an option but I've never used it to be honest Kev. Some of the lads on the river swear by it but I have always used, and done all right on coated braided hook links.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Andy Tibbott wrote: Mon Oct 19 2020 11:38 -
Hi all,

Thanks

Andy
It's in my tackle bag as an option but I've never used it to be honest Kev. Some of the lads on the river swear by it but I have always used, and done all right on coated braided hook links.
Just use nylon mate, barbel arent tackle shy.
Theres a few vids on you tube showing barbel spooking when they bump into fluro cos they cant see it.
Braided hook lengths are wasted on barbel, they really are the simplest of fish to catch. Once you've got em feeding you could use washing line.
Look up Des Taylor's vids about barbel...some things on there which might surprise you
Andy Tibbott
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Andy Tibbott »

Kev Berry wrote: Mon Oct 19 2020 14:38 -
Hi all,

Thanks

Andy
Theres a few vids on you tube showing barbel spooking when they bump into fluro cos they cant see it.
Braided hook lengths are wasted on barbel, they really are the simplest of fish to catch. Once you've got em feeding you could use washing line.
Look up Des Taylor's vids about barbel...some things on there which might surprise you
Will do thanks for the info Kev :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Hi all,

Thanks

Andy
The Bob Roberts barbel vids showed that they were less spooked by braid than mono. Some great underwater footage on those vids.

Go to 1:46... https://youtu.be/91G9xlDfPlo?t=106
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

davelumb wrote: Mon Oct 19 2020 15:20 -
Hi all,

Thanks

Andy
The Bob Roberts barbel vids showed that they were less spooked by braid than mono. Some great underwater footage on those vids.

I use 19lb mono on a lot of my barbel rigs Dave...and I catch more than my fair share :smile:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Kev Berry wrote: Mon Oct 19 2020 16:50 -
Hi all,

Thanks

Andy

I use 19lb mono on a lot of my barbel rigs Dave...and I catch more than my fair share :smile:
I use 35lb Tiger Braid for hooklinks and do OK too. :wink:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

davelumb wrote: Mon Oct 19 2020 16:53 -
Hi all,

Thanks

Andy

One reason I use nylon is the snags and rocks ..cant go throwing money away y'know :wink:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Kev Berry wrote: Mon Oct 19 2020 19:39 -
Hi all,

Thanks

Andy

One reason I use nylon is the snags and rocks ..cant go throwing money away y'know :wink:
I've never had any problems with Tiger Braid - and I've fished rocky/snaggy rivers. :wink: :wink:

Can't find the stuff available in the UK now though. So if I run out I'll be going on to 70lb Kevlar catfish braid. I've used it before and the barbel seemed to like it! :laughs:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

davelumb wrote: Mon Oct 19 2020 19:47 -
Hi all,

Thanks

Andy

I've never had any problems with Tiger Braid - and I've fished rocky/snaggy rivers. :wink: :wink:

Can't find the stuff available in the UK now though. So if I run out I'll be going on to 70lb Kevlar catfish braid. I've used it before and the barbel seemed to like it! :laughs:
I've got a full spool Dave, swap you for a rod (or three) :wink:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Bob Watson wrote: Mon Oct 19 2020 20:41 -
Hi all,

Thanks

Andy

S'okay, I've got loads too. :tongues:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

davelumb wrote: Mon Oct 19 2020 20:46 -
Hi all,

Thanks

Andy

Wasn't even really worth a try :neutral:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Bob Watson wrote: Mon Oct 19 2020 20:51 -
davelumb wrote: Mon Oct 19 2020 20:46 -
Hi all,

Thanks

Andy

Wasn't even really worth a try :neutral:
:laughs:
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Andy
I use the Palomar to tie on all my swivels or clips, on both mono and braided main lines. I've never had one fail on me. :shrug:

I do take a lot of care snugging down the moistened knot before giving it the final pull tight - tightening both the main line and the tag end equally.

It should look like a neat little 'fig. 8', just before it is tugged tight.

The knot I can never trust is the tucked half blood. Some seem to like it's neat-looking coils over the tight ball of a Palomar, but I feel blood knots are line stranglers with mono and they're utterly useless with braid.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

I just use a 5 turn grinner with braid...bit of spit and slowly tighten up and no problems.
So easy you can tie it with your eyes shut
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Kev Berry wrote: Mon Oct 19 2020 22:47 -
I just use a 5 turn grinner with braid...bit of spit and slowly tighten up and no problems.
So easy you can tie it with your eyes shut
I go twice through the eye with braid, once with mono!
AndyLarkins
Perch
Perch

Post by AndyLarkins »

Mike J wrote: Sat Oct 03 2020 18:33 -

Andy

Yes, tie up a couple and test to destruction to develop confidence.
IMGP1430.JPG
Justice knot - 16lb braid to 6lb Fluorocabon.
Coin is 5p, 16lb - 8X Spiderwire, 6lb Rio fly leader (fuzz is unravelled braid).

The Palomar is a good knot for mono but hopeless for Fluoro, this is because quality Fluoro is a solid material and it will crack if wrapped around anything smaller than its own diamenter, whereas mono has voids of air (up to 25%) which allow the material to bend without significant weakning.
This is why connections in fluoro must be pulled up really tight compared to those in mono.

I use the Tuna Knot to connect mono or fluoro to a hook, swivel or link.
It is simple to tie and tests at near 100% of line BS.

IMG_2173.JPG

:handshake:
Great info Mike.... :thumbs:

Thanks for that!.... I'll be trying the "Tune Knot" (new one on me) :handshake:
Image http://www.canterburypac.blogspot.com
"C'MON!.. Ya like a fat girl in red shoes" Andy Brown 2015