River mullet - tips please!

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Any tips on trying to catch mullet I've seen 3 miles up-river of a sea sluice, please?

Thought I had a big chub following a spinnerbait, when I realised it was a 4-5lb mullet. Changed to a 2" grub, and it followed that too, but veered off. Spotted a few smaller ones cruising nearby.
Never tried before; is breadflake best?
But would love to catch on a lure...
Peter Newman
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Any tips on trying to catch mullet I've seen 3 miles up-river of a sea sluice, please ?

Thought I had a big chub following a spinnerbait, when I realised it was a 4-5lb mullet. Changed to a 2" grub, and it followed that too, but veered off. Spotted a few smaller ones cruising nearby.
Peter Newman
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: River mullet - tips please!

Post by jeff smith »

As you’ve had one follow your lure, it’s likely than the specie you’re seeing is a thin lipped grey mullet.
Try using a spinner, with beads substituted for the weighted body and a single size 4 longshank hook tied to a short 3inch length of mono, in place of the treble.
Bait the hook with pieces of rag worm and retrieve it very slowly.
If they’re thick lipped mullet then bread flake tactics, either float fished or using a feeder, and plenty of mashed bread for ground bait should do the trick.
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Post by Brian Carragher »

One of the most frustrating species to target, you might get one in for every 5 you hook but by god do they go some
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

I do a fair bit of mullet fishing now, but only with lures,
I fish a stretch of river about 4 miles up from sea.
It can be frustrating, but if the mullet are about in numbers I normally catch.
Best session was 11 in two hours.
My method is very simple, small spinner, with an inch of isome on the back, if I don’t use isome, I don’t catch.
I Wade in the river, normally on an low or incoming tide,
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Brian Carragher wrote: Thu Sep 16 2021 18:17 -
One of the most frustrating species to target, you might get one in for every 5 you hook but by god do they go some

I was coastal and follow after follow but never converted on a spinning outfit.. spent hours 😕
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

peteren wrote: Thu Sep 16 2021 16:55 -
Any tips on trying to catch mullet I've seen 3 miles up-river of a sea sluice, please?

The bait that catches both species is live shrimp and the smaller you can use the better. Hook thro the end of the tail and fish 1/2 depth under the lightest float use can get away with.
Fish the flood tide right in the shallows where you see them rummaging around. Keep yourself and the rod low and dont be in a hurry to strike.
If mullet are there be prepared for bass as they will also take the shrimp. Mike Ladle used maggots but Ive not tried them myself.
Spring tide Monday so nows the time :thumbs:

Please report in your successes or otherwise.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Thanks All - hope to try soon. The river isn't truly tidal; retained at constant depth behind sluice at estuary. So I'm unsure if the mullet pass the sluice with every tide, or stay there a while.
Peter Newman
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Post by Brian Carragher »

Without knowing the area you mention, my guess would be that mullet are feeding on the algea and growth on the seaward side of the sluice
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

ive given up on them lol!
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Brian Carragher wrote: Fri Sep 17 2021 09:42 -
Without knowing the area you mention, my guess would be that mullet are feeding on the algea and growth on the seaward side of the sluice
and when feeding on algie , they can become mega hard to catch , had about a dozen sessions on them with fly tactics only had one hook up and that came off
used all the usual mullet flys , but they are buggers to catch , they just wont look at bread were i fish ,very shallow back water... full of the buggers .
i love a challenge so i will just keep trying till it clicks ....
Sebas
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Sebas »

Float fished bread after baiting up with crumb as you would for Chub, or snip the treble off a size 3 mepps and tie on a size 4-6 single via a short length of braid and bait with rag. Spinning through your baited spots can be good.

Keep it simple, take one rod for each method and see what's better on the day.

Most importantly be prepared to get extremely frustrated 😂
Mmmmmmmm yes
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Thanks all, had one brief try with spinner and trailing grub - more half-hearted follows only. Thoughts turning more to pike now...
Peter Newman
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Stewlaws wrote: Thu Sep 16 2021 20:57 -
Brian Carragher wrote: Thu Sep 16 2021 18:17 -

I was coastal and follow after follow but never converted on a spinning outfit.. spent hours 😕
Likewise Stew. I've found a spot with a plethora of large mullet and can only raise follows with no takes on lures. ☹
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I recall reading an article about mullet where the angler waded out at low tide and waited for the tide and mullet to come to him. He was as mad dedicated as an eel angler.

I can't remember where I read it, not even if it was online or in a mag but I'd like to read it again.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Bob Watson wrote: Mon Nov 01 2021 22:31 -
I recall reading an article about mullet where the angler waded out at low tide and waited for the tide and mullet to come to him. He was as mad dedicated as an eel angler.

I can't remember where I read it, not even if it was online or in a mag but I'd like to read it again.
A friend use use to stuff an onion sack with bread, place it on low tide and run a H block weight and fish to the mark... At least that's what he'd tell me. Was never so specific as to what he caught!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Bob Watson wrote: Mon Nov 01 2021 22:31 -

There is a mullet angler down my way that does just that. He fishes a wide muddy featureless shore and from his pics he does very well.
All the regular mullet anglers have been hard at it recently most are on the bread feeder in the creeks.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

Resurrecting this as I’ve a foolish urge to mix my fishing a bit via mullet on baited spinners…
jeff smith wrote: Thu Sep 16 2021 17:28 -
As you’ve had one follow your lure, it’s likely than the specie you’re seeing is a thin lipped grey mullet.
Try using a spinner, with beads substituted for the weighted body and a single size 4 longshank hook tied to a short 3inch length of mono, in place of the treble.
If they’re thick lipped mullet then bread flake tactics, either float fished or using a feeder, and plenty of mashed bread for ground bait should do the trick.
Jeff, would you mind saying what bead colour you prefer, please?
Steve Moore wrote: Thu Sep 16 2021 20:25 -
It can be frustrating, but if the mullet are about in numbers I normally catch. Best session was 11 in two hours.
My method is very simple, small spinner, with an inch of isome on the back, if I don’t use isome, I don’t catch.
Steve, what Isome colour works best for you, please?

Thanks, gents.
Gary Coggon
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

To get them on lures I think it depends whether they're thick or thin lipped mullet. I've only caught thick lipped and only on float fished breadflake with mashed bread as an attractor, but I think it's the thin-lipped that are caught on spinners (usually baited with ragworm).
jeff smith
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by jeff smith »

Gary Coggon wrote: Thu Jan 18 2024 10:14 -
Resurrecting this as I’ve a foolish urge to mix my fishing a bit via mullet on baited spinners…
It can be frustrating, but if the mullet are about in numbers I normally catch. Best session was 11 in two hours.

Thanks, gents.
Gary,
I use red beads on my lures but I really don’t think it matters what colour they are as I’ve also caught on lures made up with black and white beads.
Steve Moore
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Moore »

Gary Coggon wrote: Thu Jan 18 2024 10:14 -

Thanks, gents.
I’ve caught on most colours.
But I prefer reds, green, and brown.
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

Many thanks, chaps. Time to get some new toys/bits on the way…
Gary Coggon
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

had a few follows off mullet this summer targeting bass , but all shy off last second , wont even look at bread in the harbour i fish even though i have done the onion sack trick

tried small mepps .....nothing and there are hundreds of mullet in front of me at times
closest i have come is to fish a small black dawl bach fly and red ......but then they came off .....as soft mouthed but i will have one for sure in the end ....
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I used to use a different tactic on a nuddy Welsh harbour - firstly at low tide I'd dig for harbour ragworm and turn over a small area then fist over the diggings when tide came in using theceorms id dug earlier- seemed to attract the mullet and flat fish really well . I have done ok with bread but in my hands it's either going or not as a bait. Agree its very frustrating but rewarding.

I'd also recommend fishing in very shallow water as often more productive. Fly also work pretty well I find but hook ups an issue.

Quick look ny old diaries shows I did better in open se vs creeks/harbours - no idea why
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

stubbojo wrote: Fri Jan 19 2024 17:50 -
had a few follows off mullet this summer targeting bass , but all shy off last second , wont even look at bread in the harbour i fish even though i have done the onion sack trick

tried small mepps .....nothing and there are hundreds of mullet in front of me at times
closest i have come is to fish a small black dawl bach fly and red ......but then they came off .....as soft mouthed but i will have one for sure in the end ....
Steve - all my experience is sofa-based but not going to let that stop me… :study: From trawling t’intergoogle, I’m going to go with purpose-built baited spinners based on silver blade, bead body (one utube says yellow outfishes every other colour) and smallish Power Isome-baited hook trailing 3-6” behind. As Steve M says above, no bait, no catch. Contrary to legend, works for thick-lipped too, apparently.
Gary Coggon
Gary Coggon
Roach
Roach

Post by Gary Coggon »

Gary Coggon