Where is barbel fishing going these days?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Where is barbel fishing going these days?

Post by davelumb »

I keep getting asked to build barbel rods to cast 10-11oz. Apparently you need it on the tidal T**** at that weir. I dunno how anyone ever caught owt in the past on that stretch!

The rigs some are using seem mental to me, too. The 40lb braid I have no problem with but shock leaders and coated braid hook links with bolt rigs?

I saw a vid today on Idiot-tube fishing on my local river, in swim I've fished a fair bit and which is snaggy as feck. The bloke was sat back from his rods under a brolly with storm sides. I get the impression these muppets like to see the rod hoop over and the baitrunner spin for a bit before they pick the rod up.

There's more I could rant about but I have to watch my blood pressure! :madmick:
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Re: Where is barbel fishing going these days?

Post by Muskie »

Yes its morphed into carp style fishing years back on there.

Very little imagination used to catch barbel there now and they are bivvied up in the main.

But just like carp the more they catch of course they are the nuts. But there is not much element of difficulty.
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

What seems to have crept into a lot of fishing down the years, particularly carp and pike fishing, is that you must be sitting 20yds back from your rods, even when it's perfectly fine to sit next to them. I want to sit right beside my rods, unless it's just not practical for whatever reason and even then I'm only a couple of steps away at most.
Marcraft are for queers.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

its because of the self hooking carp style rigs , gone are the days an 1oz bomb and a cube of trunktion meat with you rod on a high rod rest next to your seat ..
they bivvy up and wait till all hell breaks lose .........
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Carbelers is the term I believe Kev uses when we see them asleep in their bivvies twenty yards away from their rods. I’ve fished collingham a couple of times and it’s slow and it’s s**t, I’ve had a few to 12lb from there but I haven’t enjoyed it one bit.in my experience if you’re in the right spot you don’t need three rods and 72 hour sessions . Whatever happened to watching rod tops and watercraft? It’s been replaced by weed smoking time bandits in alot of places..
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

:laughs:
suffolk si wrote: Sun Oct 17 2021 21:30 -
Carbelers is the term I believe Kev uses when we see them asleep in their bivvies twenty yards away from their rods. I’ve fished collingham a couple of times and it’s slow and it’s s**t, I’ve had a few to 12lb from there but I haven’t enjoyed it one bit.in my experience if you’re in the right spot you don’t need three rods and 72 hour sessions . Whatever happened to watching rod tops and watercraft? It’s been replaced by weed smoking time bandits in alot of places..
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: time bandits
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Ya didnt need 2 rods last time we went barbelling and no time to sit down let alone lie down :wink:
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Kev Berry wrote: Sun Oct 17 2021 21:48 -
Ya didnt need 2 rods last time we went barbelling and no time to sit down let alone lie down :wink:
Exactly Kev👍 😬 just goes to show even a s***e barbel angler like me can catch on the right bit of river, those idiots at collingham are hammering the same fish 24 hours a day every day if the year regardless of the harm it does those poor fish ..
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

suffolk si wrote: Sun Oct 17 2021 21:54 -
Kev Berry wrote: Sun Oct 17 2021 21:48 -
Exactly Kev👍 😬 just goes to show even a s***e barbel angler like me can catch on the right bit of river, those idiots at collingham are hammering the same fish 24 hours a day every day if the year regardless of the harm it does those poor fish ..
Pretty thick barbel are Si, a few years back the collingham idiots thought the place was rammed with big barbel....study of the pictures and instead of being rammed with 15lb ers there were actually only about 5 different fish that were being caught almost on a daily basis ( that didnt last long)
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

They think they need 10oz of lead because the morons are trying to fish a tight line to the feeder and have no understanding of using a bow in the line.

Only the other day I watched a guy arrive at a swim just downstream of me.
He set everything up, including a bivvie, and then put God knows how many pints of pellet into the swim before making a cast.

His first cast hit the water, he kept trying to tighten up to the lead, which promptly dislodged, and in no time his lead was in the margin.
He wound in, changed to a heavier lead and recast.
Same thing happened.
He then wound in and changed lead again.
It still ended up in the margin.

He came for a chat and started moaning about the extra water in the river since his last visit and he hadn't brought his really heavy leads, 6oz wasn't holding bottom so he was off home!

I was using a two ounce feeder for bream and fishing further out than he was with no problem😂
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Barbel only feed at night now I've been told. :laughs: We had some great times over the years up and down the country and I'm glad we did it. Each to there own, but I look about now and it's not Barbel fishing as I knew it.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Daniel wrote: Mon Oct 18 2021 19:13 -
They think they need 10oz of lead because the morons are trying to fish a tight line to the feeder and have no understanding of using a bow in the line.

He set everything up, including a bivvie, and then put God knows how many pints of pellet into the swim before making a cast.

His first cast hit the water, he kept trying to tighten up to the lead, which promptly dislodged, and in no time his lead was in the margin.
Same thing happened.

He came for a chat and started moaning about the extra water in the river since his last visit and he hadn't brought his really heavy leads, 6oz wasn't holding bottom so he was off home!

I was using a two ounce feeder for bream and fishing further out than he was with no problem😂
Sounds about right. :laughs:

Cast upstream and feed a bow in the line. Every take a drop back. :cool:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

The countdown method as I call it. Cast where you want with an empty feeder or lead, let it hit bottom and count to ten while releasing line before flipping the bail arm back. If it holds try a shorter count, if it drags round try a longer count. In a steady flow you can balance the feeder really well.

Even fishing downstream, every bite's a drop back,,,,, initially!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Back to the original topic, I sometimes bivvy up when barbelling, I did on Saturday night as it happens but I sit on my rods until I hit my pit, wind in for the night and have an early start next morning. I also do it when carping even if I can get to the rods quickly, I can't be arsed getting out of the pit, it's not all about catching for me these days.

On a nice night if I can get my bedchair within arms reach of the rods I sometimes will but I find playing and landing fish in the dark these days a pain that detracts from the pleasure of my trip. I enjoy bivvying out and chilling away from home with a mate or two though.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: Mon Oct 18 2021 19:20 -

Same thing happened.

Hey dont give away all your knowledge even if it is a method that was invented by the Essex uptiders.

I fish alongside some of the very finest barbel anglers in England. Nobody night fishes and the most successful only use a single rod :shrug:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Tue Oct 19 2021 11:36 -

Same thing happened.

Hey dont give away all your knowledge even if it is a method that was invented by the Essex uptiders.

I fish alongside some of the very finest barbel anglers in England. Nobody night fishes and the most successful only use a single rod :shrug:

That'll be on soft southern rivers! :laughs:

I enjoy night fishing for barbel. Night fishing in general TBH. When I was barbel obsessed it also meant I could fish three times a week after doing a day's work. Or consecutive days if the conditions were spot on. Only fishing days would have reduced my opportunities to fish. I rarely did full nights, just a few hours into dark until the bites stopped coming. Another advantage of night fishing is that you can fish swims that have been baited up during the day - which saves money on freebies!

Only ever using one rod says more about the rivers and methods fished than an angler's ability. The 'look how many I've caught using one rod' attitude is b******s as far as I'm concerned. How many rods I use depends on where I'm fishing. On big rivers you can fish two lines in some pegs - under the rod end and further out for example. Or use an upstream rod to keep the bait going in and one fishing the same line downstream to catch the fish. On small, overgrown rivers I'll use one rod quite happily in tight swims. Then again I've used three a couple of times! :laughs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: Tue Oct 19 2021 12:26 -

Same thing happened.

I enjoy night fishing for barbel. Night fishing in general TBH. When I was barbel obsessed it also meant I could fish three times a week after doing a day's work. Or consecutive days if the conditions were spot on. Only fishing days would have reduced my opportunities to fish. I rarely did full nights, just a few hours into dark until the bites stopped coming. Another advantage of night fishing is that you can fish swims that have been baited up during the day - which saves money on freebies!

Only ever using one rod says more about the rivers and methods fished than an angler's ability. The 'look how many I've caught using one rod' attitude is b******s as far as I'm concerned. How many rods I use depends on where I'm fishing. On big rivers you can fish two lines in some pegs - under the rod end and further out for example. Or use an upstream rod to keep the bait going in and one fishing the same line downstream to catch the fish. On small, overgrown rivers I'll use one rod quite happily in tight swims. Then again I've used three a couple of times! :laughs:

Of all the Southern barbel anglers I have met I have only ever had one tell me how many he had caught (that year) not that I was interested as the species doesn't interest me.
No night fishing gives the fish and the wildlife a rest from our incursions into their world and may may also account for more fish being caught during daylight hours. It certainly doesn't have any effect on those wanting to fish the river.

Upstreaming seems to have become a lost art, long may it continue :grin:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Tue Oct 19 2021 13:31 -

Same thing happened.

Of all the Southern barbel anglers I have met I have only ever had one tell me how many he had caught (that year) not that I was interested as the species doesn't interest me.
No night fishing gives the fish and the wildlife a rest from our incursions into their world and may may also account for more fish being caught during daylight hours. It certainly doesn't have any effect on those wanting to fish the river.

Upstreaming for chub, roach and dace makes it a lot easier than trying to hit raps on a quiver tip. :smile:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

davelumb wrote: Tue Oct 19 2021 13:33 -

Same thing happened.

Upstreaming for chub, roach and dace makes it a lot easier than trying to hit raps on a quiver tip. :smile:

Agreed, winner winner chicken dinner.

Errr sorry about the one rod post, I was forgetting :handshake:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Tue Oct 19 2021 13:41 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Oct 19 2021 13:33 -

Same thing happened.

Agreed, winner winner chicken dinner.

Errr sorry about the one rod post, I was forgetting :handshake:

:handshake:
SamG
Roach
Roach

Post by SamG »

There’s still plenty of proper barbel anglers on the Trent…..mainly on the stretches which don’t allow night fishing.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

SamG wrote: Tue Oct 19 2021 18:12 -
There’s still plenty of proper barbel anglers on the Trent…..mainly on the stretches which don’t allow night fishing.
What is a "Proper Barbel Angler", that's not a trick question as a mate of mine has run a syndicate on the Terence for years, fished it with a 'pin, etc. The Southern rivers again with a 'pin and cane rod. Then the big river that's runs through the capital in flood with a Harrison Chimera and a Lumby P2. Is a "proper barbel angler" a mindest now? I look online and Barbel fishing seems to be like a Siniita Song....." I'm so macho , wanna be so macho".

:grin:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Monts wrote: Tue Oct 19 2021 19:48 -
What is a "Proper Barbel Angler", that's not a trick question as a mate of mine has run a syndicate on the Terence for years, fished it with a 'pin, etc. The Southern rivers again with a 'pin and cane rod. Then the big river that's runs through the capital in flood with a Harrison Chimera and a Lumby P2. Is a "proper barbel angler" a mindest now? I look online and Barbel fishing seems to be like a Siniita Song....." I'm so macho , wanna be so macho".

went pike fishing on a certain stretch of a river that runs through Preston couple of seasons ago , and i thought i had turned up at a carp syndicate .........
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

stubbojo wrote: Tue Oct 19 2021 21:19 -

went pike fishing on a certain stretch of a river that runs through Preston couple of seasons ago , and i thought i had turned up at a carp syndicate .........
That’s probably cos they’re failed carp anglers :shrug:
SamG
Roach
Roach

Post by SamG »

Fair point and, yes, my phrase seems very snobbish. I was referring to some of the earlier posts lamenting the modern style of carpbelling ie using Lac Du Der style set ups. My point is that there are plenty of anglers using more traditional, and dare I say it, more effective methods on the Trent than might be realized.
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

Nige Johns wrote: Wed Oct 20 2021 12:28 -
stubbojo wrote: Tue Oct 19 2021 21:19 -

That’s probably cos they’re failed carp anglers :shrug:
Didn't think they could fail. Buy a s**t ton of gear (only the very best to impress your chums with) fill a place in with the latest wonder bait, and wait. :grin: :grin:
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I attempted 'proper barbel angling' once, but unfortunately I nodded off before I'd even cast a bait in the water.

I suspect that was due to being up the previous three nights collecting a thousand lobworms by torch light . . . . . :clown:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Wed Oct 20 2021 16:51 -

I attempted 'proper barbel angling' once, but unfortunately I nodded off before I'd even cast a bait in the water.

I suspect that was due to being up the previous three nights collecting a thousand lobworms by torch light . . . . . :clown:
To do it really properly you set 'your man' to gather the lobs, John. :wink:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Years back I heard a story about what it takes to be a 'Real Barbel' angler on a famous Wessex river.

In short umbrellas are not the done thing. A real Barbel angler is always mobile and rolls meat. No matter how hard it rains, you must take the soaking like a man. One well known angler apparently used to carry his odds and ends, in a plastic carrier bag, slipped over his head and hung around he's kneck.

Legend!
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Monts wrote: Wed Oct 20 2021 18:17 -
Years back I heard a story about what it takes to be a 'Real Barbel' angler on a famous Wessex river.

In short umbrellas are not the done thing. A real Barbel angler is always mobile and rolls meat. No matter how hard it rains, you must take the soaking like a man. One well known angler apparently used to carry his odds and ends, in a plastic carrier bag, slipped over his head and hung around he's kneck.

Legend!
Don't try this at home kids! :eek: :clown:

Screenshot_20211020-182903_Google~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "