Zander

bass... they love a mouthful

Post by stubbojo »

big pit small pike 001.jpg
big pit small pike 001.jpg
big pit small pike 002.jpg
big pit small pike 004.jpg
big pit small pike 004.jpg
we had bigger bass ,but thought i would show you they like a mouthful of live mackerel...
so dont be scared of throw really big lures for bass , i have some mackerel life size lures by dexter must be 10inch long and they catch bass... :thumbs:

sorry dont know why there are 2 of each pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev Berry

Re: bass... they love a mouthful

Post by Kev Berry »

stubbojo wrote: Thu Oct 14 2021 19:18 -
big pit small pike 001.jpgbig pit small pike 001.jpgbig pit small pike 002.jpgbig pit small pike 004.jpgbig pit small pike 004.jpg we had bigger bass ,but thought i would show you they like a mouthful of live mackerel...
so dont be scared of throw really big lures for bass , i have some mackerel life size lures by dexter must be 10inch long and they catch bass... :thumbs:

I had one about 3lb or so quite a few years back. Took a whole calamari.
Destined for the frying pan I gutted it. It was absolutely rammed with crab prawns little fish. I dont know where the squid was going as stomach was packed solid and no room for owt else
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Oct 14 2021 21:27 -
stubbojo wrote: Thu Oct 14 2021 19:18 -
big pit small pike 001.jpgbig pit small pike 001.jpgbig pit small pike 002.jpgbig pit small pike 004.jpgbig pit small pike 004.jpg we had bigger bass ,but thought i would show you they like a mouthful of live mackerel...

I had one about 3lb or so quite a few years back. Took a whole calamari.
Destined for the frying pan I gutted it. It was absolutely rammed with crab prawns little fish. I dont know where the squid was going as stomach was packed solid and no room for owt else
most i catch are nearly almost empty..... well the ones i keep are....
Noblest savage
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Noblest savage »

Yes they do!!!
I’m grew up in west wales and did loads of bass fishing.
Apart from live mackerel I also got them on whole edible crabs, two foot long king rag and whole launce.
Lovely fish you have there!

Unfortunately they’re few and far between in the east coast of Scotland I do miss them.
There’s loads of cross over on the techniques used for them and pike.

Cheers
Ben
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Noblest savage wrote: Fri Oct 22 2021 07:04 -
Yes they do!!!
Apart from live mackerel I also got them on whole edible crabs, two foot long king rag and whole launce.

Unfortunately they’re few and far between in the east coast of Scotland I do miss them.

Cheers
Ben
we catch the bigger fish on quite large mackerel lives, or life size mackerel lures ....and large sand-eels over a foot long and as thick as your thumb.......
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

stubbojo wrote: Sat Oct 23 2021 21:46 -
Yes they do!!!

Cheers
Ben
we catch the bigger fish on quite large mackerel lives, or life size mackerel lures ....and large sand-eels over a foot long and as thick as your thumb.......
We used to catch launce on small mackerel feathers..
.then thread a hook through the mouth and out the gills and lightly snick it in its back behind the head.
Target was bass but fishing off of eddystone light we caught mainly cod and some whopping great pollock
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

like these kev on big sand-eels intended for bass
took my mate out a few weeks back and he had his PB best pollack
bass and pollock 010.JPG
fish like this about a mile offshore on a reef.....nobody fishes it we had it to our selves all through the summer......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

stubbojo wrote: Sun Oct 24 2021 19:11 -
took my mate out a few weeks back and he had his PB best pollackbass and pollock 010.JPG fish like this about a mile offshore on a reef.....nobody fishes it we had it to our selves all through the summer......
Had them to just under 20lb....by gum but they fight on a 6oz uptider and light multiplier
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Kev Berry wrote: Sun Oct 24 2021 20:52 -
took my mate out a few weeks back and he had his PB best pollackbass and pollock 010.JPG fish like this about a mile offshore on a reef.....nobody fishes it we had it to our selves all through the summer......
Had them to just under 20lb....by gum but they fight on a 6oz uptider and light multiplier
They don't fight any less on a 30-50lb class boat rod either :wink:
Noblest savage
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Noblest savage »

Bloody hell, that’s a dream fish for some folk!
Well done.
Cheers
Ben
Noblest savage
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Noblest savage »

Kev Berry wrote: Sat Oct 23 2021 22:19 -
Yes they do!!!

Cheers
Ben
.then thread a hook through the mouth and out the gills and lightly snick it in its back behind the head.
Target was bass but fishing off of eddystone light we caught mainly cod and some whopping great pollock
I used to catch them off the beach in a Seine and then free line them live off the rocks. Works just as well from the shore.
Scared to use a Seine these days for accusations of going after bass or sea trout.

Cheers
Ben
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Noblest savage wrote: Tue Oct 26 2021 06:58 -
Yes they do!!!

Cheers
Ben
I used to catch them off the beach in a Seine and then free line them live off the rocks. Works just as well from the shore.
Scared to use a Seine these days for accusations of going after bass or sea trout.

Cheers
Ben
Very good pikebaits as well
Noblest savage
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Noblest savage »

Kev Berry wrote: Tue Oct 26 2021 22:19 -
Yes they do!!!

Cheers
Ben

Cheers
Ben

So I hear, yet to try them though.
I imagine they’ll be good sink and draw baits?

Cheers
Ben
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Noblest savage wrote: Sat Oct 30 2021 08:19 -
Kev Berry wrote: Tue Oct 26 2021 22:19 -
Yes they do!!!

Cheers
Ben

Cheers
Ben

So I hear, yet to try them though.
I imagine they’ll be good sink and draw baits?

Cheers
Ben
Get two good baits out of a big launce.
Tough baits as well
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

remember going to Ireland in my twenty's with the local sea-fishing club , ended up catching a 21lb Pollock .... fish of the week actually picked up a club trophy for it too...
think is was westport or west point , but the sea fishing was out of this world , big cod huge coalies , Pollock , brill , turbot ,we had a fantastic time 5 days fishing and the digs were good and the hospitality was second to none ........the landlord of the digs even let us have is car so we could explore the area as we also took some beach fishing gear with us ....
what a place..... is was like stepping back in time in the village .....brilliant ,bet it has changed know though ........anybody know the area