Thames Barbel

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Thames Barbel

Post by GAVIN H »

My early fishing years were on the Thames when barbel didn't grow huge ( as far as we knew). Nowdays, Thames does twenty pounders. Anyone on here fish for them? Not looking for names, swims etc, i live in Ireland now anyway, just being nostalgic really for days gone by.
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Re: Thames Barbel

Post by Pinkie »

I use to fish for Thames barbel several years ago, and my best was just over 13lb, and I once had seven in one night including two doubles. I've heard they're still doing well and growing, but I don't think they're prolific in all stretches. The best stretches are the fast ones. They usually start to feed after the boat traffic stops in the summertime. I talked to a chap only the other day about the barbel and he said he had cracking sport in late February just after the floods subsided, but one needs to know the hot spots!
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Re: Thames Barbel

Post by Muskie »

Yes, after dark is best and don't forget to backlead too as the night time party boats can be a nightmare at times.

I had a large barbel in 1998 which if i had publicised it would have made people sit up at the time.