Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Re: Small method feeders - a few questions

Post by Patrick Bateman »

Andrew Croft wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Andrew Croft wrote:
Id go for a float personally as its exciting in the margins but you could try a back lead ?
I think the float is my preferred method. I'd need to be sitting so far back on the method that I'd be on the path around the lake! :laughs:
most normal people would go further along the bank :laughs:
The club in question is quite strict about only fishing from marked pegs, so I can't really move to one side in this instance. :shrug:
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Daniel wrote:
If using the particular floats I recommended no shot are needed as they are self cocking and perfect for water less than 3' deep fishing big baits. The numbers on these floats are telling you the size of the float should you want to swap to a float of the same size that does need shot. Just attach the float to your line with float rubbers and tie on a size 12 direct to the mainline which doesn't need to be 0.22 on a running line, you could fish with 0.19 just fine because you can let them run, you would use the heavier line for pole fishing though.. Bagging up in the margins is no place for weak links so don't use a hook length, the fish can't dive down so WILL go nuts and charge away from you as hard and fast as they can.

Any decent tackle shop should have suitable pole floats. Use short self cockers in water 3' or less and floats needing shot if its deeper. As for a shotting pattern a simple bulk of stots 6-8" from the hook is all you need.

4x10 on a pole float doesn't mean 4 number 10 shot. Pole floats were, and still are, labelled with the weight required if you were using styl weights, ridiculous really as very few people use them because many sizes of styl are illegal in the UK! :laughs:

This is a chart I use to convert the marked weight.

TIP: Try the float with one less shot than recommended as that may be spot on and its a bugger removing tiny stot weights even with the right tool!

3x10 = 0.10g (2 x No10 shot)
4x10 = 0.15g (3 x No9 shot)
4x12 = 0.2g (5x No10 shot)
4x14 = 0.4g (6 x No8 shot)
4x16 = 0.5g (8x No8 shot)
4x18 = 0.75g (3 x No3 shot)
4x20 = 1g (4 x No3 shot)
5x20 = 1.25g (5 x No3 shot)
6x20 = 1.5g (6 x No3 shot).
Thanks Dan, that's really helpful info. :thumbs: I'll definitely go for the self cocking floats - it'll make life much simpler! :wink:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Andrew Croft wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Andrew Croft wrote:
Id go for a float personally as its exciting in the margins but you could try a back lead ?
I think the float is my preferred method. I'd need to be sitting so far back on the method that I'd be on the path around the lake! :laughs:
most normal people would go further along the bank :laughs:
The club in question is quite strict about only fishing from marked pegs, so I can't really move to one side in this instance. :shrug:
Ah well thats that then, bugger :laughs:
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

So I'd thought I'd bump this thread as I'm looking to break the method rod out again. How soon into the year do you folks start using the method again? I assume that I should be starting with a smaller feeder at this time of the year, or should I be looking to use a pellet feeder (or indeed soft pellets on the method feeder?) I picked some Guru pellet feeders up at the end of the year to give this a whirl - just seems like a fairly straightforward feeder swap out to me? Do your baits change or just get a bit smaller on lighter hook links? Any tips on softening the pellets for use with the feeder?

I must admit that I never got back round to those margin carp either last summer, so those are on my hit list, too... :boing:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
So I'd thought I'd bump this thread as I'm looking to break the method rod out again. How soon into the year do you folks start using the method again? I assume that I should be starting with a smaller feeder at this time of the year, or should I be looking to use a pellet feeder (or indeed soft pellets on the method feeder?) I picked some Guru pellet feeders up at the end of the year to give this a whirl - just seems like a fairly straightforward feeder swap out to me? Do your baits change or just get a bit smaller on lighter hook links? Any tips on softening the pellets for use with the feeder?

I must admit that I never got back round to those margin carp either last summer, so those are on my hit list, too... :boing:

The waters probably a bit too cold and the fish too lethargic for a method feeder to be the best tactic at the moment. If you really want to fish the method then use the smallest feeder possible with a low food content groundbait, don't cast too often or you'll over feed in no time.
Don't bother fining down in terms of line strength, it won't make any difference but you could try going right down to a size 18 hook with a single dead maggot.
It gets sucked up very easily so even a fish thats not feeding hard will still end up with the hook in its mouth.
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Daniel wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:

The waters probably a bit too cold and the fish too lethargic for a method feeder to be the best tactic at the moment. If you really want to fish the method then use the smallest feeder possible with a low food content groundbait, don't cast too often or you'll over feed in no time.
Don't bother fining down in terms of line strength, it won't make any difference but you could try going right down to a size 18 hook with a single dead maggot.
It gets sucked up very easily so even a fish thats not feeding hard will still end up with the hook in its mouth.
Thanks Dan. :thumbs: Looking forward to those warmer days when the fish are properly on the chomp! Do you use pellet feeders much? I've also got a question re the tips on my Mini Plus. Are you typically using the softest tip you can get away with or do you use something with a bit of beef when using the heavier method feeders? I'm tending to use the stiffer tips, but (thinking out loud) may use the softer tips this season so that I can get a bit better indication from the bream that a couple of the waters I was fishing last year also produce on a routine basis.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:

Thanks Dan. :thumbs: Looking forward to those warmer days when the fish are properly on the chomp! Do you use pellet feeders much? I've also got a question re the tips on my Mini Plus. Are you typically using the softest tip you can get away with or do you use something with a bit of beef when using the heavier method feeders? I'm tending to use the stiffer tips, but (thinking out loud) may use the softer tips this season so that I can get a bit better indication from the bream that a couple of the waters I was fishing last year also produce on a routine basis.
I only bother with the soft tip in winter when fishing with maggot for anything that comes along. I can't say I've done much with pellet feeders, I just used scalded pellets on a method feeder if I wanted a pellet approach.
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

I picked up some Drennan pellet feeders that are compatible with the quick links that come with the method feeders. As my club has a close season, I may see if I can nip out in the next fortnight to give it a whirl before it ends for a few months. There's a small venue stuffed with carp that may be a good bet to test it out. Thanks for your ongoing advice bud! :thumbs:
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

So it looks like I'm not going to be able to get out before my club season ends. :sad: So to cheer myself up, I'm trying to sort out a few minor issues that I noted from fishing the method last year.

Firstly (and most importantly I feel) is sorting out my seating/rod angles. I'm currently using an old Nash Indulgence chair which I've had for seemingly ever. Last year I purchased some Middy Stargrip gizmo's that are arms that can fit around my chair allowing me to fit rod rests on (some of the banks I fish are too hard for bank sticks).
The problem with this is that the arms can only point horizontally from the arm frame and as such I have to set the chair up at 45 degrees to the water in order to get the required angle in the quiver tip. (If you rotate the arms, because of the angle of the chair legs the arm goes down, not out, giving no more angle - it's a bit tricky to explain). Not that big of a deal apart from the fact that I have to twist in the chair to keep my eye on the swim I'm fishing. This gets a bit painful after a while (I've had two discs taken out and so my back gives me a bit of trouble from time to time). I picked up a Preston XS feeder arm to get round it this week, but the legs of the chair don't have enough tube of the right diameter to allow fitting of the arm (see below - even if I took off the Stargrip arm, there's not enough space) - so that idea needs to be scrubbed.
Short of buying a Preston feeder chair (which looks great, has a platform and loads of uprights and would solve this issue but at £160 is pricey), is there any way I can use my existing chair, have a system that fits to the chair, that allows me to sit face on to the water with an angle to my rod tip? Or am I being thick and missing something simple and/or fundamental? If I set the chair up directly facing my swim and just move the quiver tip to the extreme right of the front rest, will this be enough angle in the tip? :dizzy: How much tip angle is required when fishing the method? Because of my back, I'm never going to be buying a seat box with all the handy uprights to mount kit off (and it's OTT because I don't pole fish either). I see Preston have a station with a seat on it, but a) I'm a lard a**e and I'm not sure it'd take it(!) :red: and b) it doesn't look anywhere near comfortable. And anyway, both are more expensive than the feeder chair...

Secondly, I currently have my unmade rods (a 2-piece 13ft float, 3-piece 15ft float, 12ft feeder and 10ft Mini Plus) in a short quiver along with a brolly and Stargrip feeder arms. It's horribly unbalanced because of the brolly weight and I constantly bang the rods getting them into and out of the car. I've been looking at the Preston (and other branded) hard sided rod holdalls which I think would sort the issue, but I'll be buggered if I can find one that'll fit the 13 footer - they all seem to terminate at 12ft two-piece rods. Are there any rod holdalls out there that'll accommodate a 2-piece 13 footer?

Lastly, I looked at all the little bait tubs I had, which take up a fair amount of space on my side tray and I think I've come up with a neat solution - voila, the re-use of a small lure box! A much smaller footprint on the tray than all the separate tubs and I have all my hook bait options (bar trout and coarse pellets in this pic) in one little place! :grin:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Only problem with your lure box bait storage is that it's not airtight, so your baits will dry up and lose all their smell :neutral:
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Steve Dennington wrote:
Only problem with your lure box bait storage is that it's not airtight, so your baits will dry up and lose all their smell :neutral:
b******s! :roll: some sort of glug is in order...
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Daniel wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Daniel wrote:
I use the 2500 size aero feeder on my mini and its a perfect combination for me. It has a wider spool than other 2500 shimmies.
Is that the reel I pictured Dan? I can only find the 4000 posted earlier. :scratch:
The 4000 is a big reel, much more suited to a 12' rod.

I use this.
http://www.futurefishing.co.uk/shimano- ... 2593-p.asp
I've sold a few tropical lures and other bits recently, so I've just picked up one of the 2500FA's up to go on the Mini Plus this season. Will be loading it up with 8lb Daiwa ST mono and possibly picking up a spare spool (I assume a spare doesn't come with the reel Dan?) and loading it with 6lb for the waters with just tench and bream in them. I've even bought a keepnet for the first time in at least 25 years, too for those waters that allow them! :eek: :laughs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Steve Dennington wrote:
Only just seen this. Try a glug in that box, and see how it lasts! :laughs:
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Steve Dennington wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Steve Dennington wrote:
Only just seen this. Try a glug in that box, and see how it lasts! :laughs:
Your hugely knowledgeable and logical assessments are ruining my buzz! :eek: :laughs: :laughs: :wave:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

As neat as your solution is, I think a few of the little airtight clip-top containers from the supermarket will serve you better. The bait will be preserved then, as will any glug. If you put any liquid in the lure box it'll evaporate into a mess at best, or spill out all over the place if it's a bit more runny. The lure box won't keep the stench of any particularly evil glugs contained either!
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Save up yer jam jars!?
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Andrew Croft wrote:
Save up yer jam jars!?
They're a bit on the large side if you want a selection of baits soaking in different potions. Besides which, they'd last about 5mins with me before I had a bag full of stinky glug and broken glass...
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Daniel wrote:
I use the 2500 size aero feeder on my mini and its a perfect combination for me. It has a wider spool than other 2500 shimmies.
Is that the reel I pictured Dan? I can only find the 4000 posted earlier. :scratch:

I use this.
I've sold a few tropical lures and other bits recently, so I've just picked up one of the 2500FA's up to go on the Mini Plus this season. Will be loading it up with 8lb Daiwa ST mono and possibly picking up a spare spool (I assume a spare doesn't come with the reel Dan?) and loading it with 6lb for the waters with just tench and bream in them. I've even bought a keepnet for the first time in at least 25 years, too for those waters that allow them! :eek: :laughs:
Mine came with a spare mate.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Steve Dennington wrote:
Andrew Croft wrote:
Save up yer jam jars!?
They're a bit on the large side if you want a selection of baits soaking in different potions. Besides which, they'd last about 5mins with me before I had a bag full of stinky glug and broken glass...
Colemans mustard jars, just wrap in a dish towel and use an empty icecream tub to keep them in. actually no thats my idea im doing it this year.

anyone got any empty mustard jars ? ive got two already :giggle:
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Daniel wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I use this.
It arrived today but they've sent the bloody HG version instead of the standard FA I ordered! Muppets! :evil: Lovely reel, though and pleased to see a spare spool! :grin: About a week or so to sort out the c*ck up I'd have thought! :sick:
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Steve Dennington wrote:
As neat as your solution is, I think a few of the little airtight clip-top containers from the supermarket will serve you better. The bait will be preserved then, as will any glug. If you put any liquid in the lure box it'll evaporate into a mess at best, or spill out all over the place if it's a bit more runny. The lure box won't keep the stench of any particularly evil glugs contained either!
So basically, if I wanted the baits to retain any smell, I just should have kept them in the little tubs they're sold in! :roll: :laughs: :dizzy: :knife:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Steve Dennington wrote:
So basically, if I wanted the baits to retain any smell, I just should have kept them in the little tubs they're sold in! :roll: :laughs: :dizzy: :knife:
That would be the simplest solution, yes! :laughs:

Mind you, a lot of the tubs that baits are supplied in do have a tendency to leak. Then you have the brittle plastic that Dynamite Baits decided to use for the bottles of Halibut Pellet Oil, which cracked in my bag and covered everything in the stuff... :mad:
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I use this.
It arrived today but they've sent the bloody HG version instead of the standard FA I ordered! Muppets! :evil: Lovely reel, though and pleased to see a spare spool! :grin: About a week or so to sort out the c*ck up I'd have thought! :sick:
So it took a bit longer than anticipated, but the 2500FA in the correct gearing has finally arrived - I've spooled it up with 8lb Daiwa Tournament ST and I have to say I'm impressed with the line, even before I've had a cast! :grin:

Better than this though, is the complete stroke of luck I've had. I'm currently working a contract in an ice cream manufacturing plant, prepping the site for their major annual audit next week. That means all areas of the site have to be just so and by the book. Today this meant that the product development girls were clearing out their kitchen of unwanted and out of date items - cue me scoring 42 bottles of flavours for free! :grin: :cool: I've got everything from white chocolate, through every type of fruit and cream you can imagine to even more exotic stuff like port and whisky - there are going to be some interestingly flavoured method mixes in a few weeks! :laughs:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Patrick, am well jelous, thats quite a score.
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Cotton candy!!!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Elderflower flavour?!!
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

So just done a stock take on the stash - here's what I've scored:

6 x white chocolate
1 x chocolate
1 x christmas cake
1 x mince pie
1 x cheesecake
1 x panna cotta
1 x praline
1 x doughnut
1 x popcorn
1 x port
1 x white wine
1 x alcohol
1 x whisky
1 x amaretto
1 x CGCM (not sure, but it's a nut based liqueur)
1 x cotton candy
1 x candy floss
1 x natural caramel
1 x vanilla
1 x coconut
1 x green tea
1 x pineapple
1 x lime
1 x orange
1 x blood orange
1 x pomegranate
1 x mango
1 x guava
1 x pink guava
1 x strawberry
1 x passion fruit
2 x elderflower
2 x lemon sherbet
2 x garlic (the thought of a garlic ice cream doesn't bear thinking about! :pale: )

That lot should allow for some interestingly flavoured groundbaits! :laughs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I reckon a garlic/doughnut cocktail would make a great ice cream flavour!
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

davelumb wrote:
I reckon a garlic/doughnut cocktail would make a great ice cream flavour!
You need help Dave...! :eek:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

:boing: