Small method feeders - a few questions

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Small method feeders - a few questions

Post by Andrew »

Me old mate poach fished it semi fixed with a float stop/knot 2 inches from feeder he connected more tench than I did and our rigs were identical even the rods. I fished fully fixed feeder with float stop. I seemed to do better on carp my way.

I wouldnt feel comfortable with a completly free running feeder but thats just me.

As for them elasticated feeders forget it mate not needed bit gimmicky imo. Some are even tether rigs.
Gavin P
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Gavin P »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
So me being me, I've decided to do it properly and have picked up a 10' Preston Mini Plus. :smile: I had an interesting conversation with the guy in the shop about setting up the feeder. I used the Drennan method links that essentially sets up the feeder as semi fixed. He told me to try the feeder on a running set up using a bead so that more of the smaller knocks become full blooded bites. It was my understanding that the feeder should be fixed so that the rig hooks the fish. Is the running version a decent tactic, or should it wait until the fish are becoming a little wary of the resistance? :shrug:
On another topic, I noted (and picked up a couple of) elasticated Preston method feeders - are these better/worse or just different to the standard feeders? I understand the principle, that it acts as a shock absorber, but not having fished an elasticated pole in my life I'm not sure of the advantages of elasticating feeders.
Having had a play with one of those rods they are very nice, good choice :thumbs: If I still did a lot of this style of fishing then I would get myself one of them :smile:

I use the preston feeders myself and use them running with a Korum quick change bead at the end to allow me to change hooklinks quickly as I have some tied with bands and some with quickstops for different baits :smile:

I have used the elasticated ones and they do have a usage in that I found I landed more fish with softer mouths with them i.e. skimmers but I haven't used them enough to make comment over the inline version fully :neutral: another advantage and which I see as the main one with the elasticated feeders is that you can have a quick change swivel on the end to just clip feeders on and off which is handy in a match as it will save you time as you can have half a dozen made up feeders ready to go and just remake a used one when one is in the water :smile:

Hope that helps a little :thumbs:
Don't argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience
Marty
Chub
Chub

Post by Marty »

cant stand the elasticated feeder myself, tried a few different models and in the end gave them all away.

as for fixed/running setup, heres what ive found:

I always start with a semi fixed feeder, pushed onto a mini tail rubber tight enough not to move on a wrap round. I'll stay with it whilst i am am getting positive bites that hook up 8 times out of 10. If i start getting lots of violent plucks or wrap rounds that dont connect/hook up then i change to a running feeder.
Invariably this occurs when youve got a load fish in a feeding frenzy, they tend to be ripping around over the bait grabbing and sucking at everything at 100 mph, and a running setup in this scenario seems to give them a little more rope to hang themselves, whereas a fixed feeder with such a short hooklength tends to just prick them and ping out.

sometimes i'll increase the hooklength to 6" instead of changing to a running rig, but its easier and quicker to just stop jamming the feeder onto the rubber.
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Post by Patrick Bateman »

Marty wrote:
cant stand the elasticated feeder myself, tried a few different models and in the end gave them all away.
What's the issue here Marty?
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Most commercial venues have banned the elasticated feeders because if you snap off the fish is towing the feeder around. I've limited experience with them for that very reason and the only advantage I could find was the ability to have one already made up when I needed to recast which was a bit quicker when match fishing but since moulds became available I can have my feeder loaded and ready to cast in twenty seconds which is faster than I could change an empty feeder for a full one!

The guy in the shops talking cobblers about using a running set up. The method feeder is so successful because the fish hook themselves against the weight of the feeder making the bites unmissable. If you're getting rip round bites but not connecting a slightly longer hooklength, anything up to 8" is fine but 99% of the time hooklengths between 3 and 6" will do the business.

Stick to what you were doing and practise. Being fast at loading the feeder and hitting the same spot every chuck will catch you far more fish than changing rigs ever will.

PS: if you don't already have one get a groundbait whisk and a cordless drill, mixing groundbait becomes the easiest thing in the world as it does away with riddling out the lumps and trying to distribute the water evenly throughout the mix , 2kgs can be mixed in seconds :thumbs:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Im sure they were to stop fish shaking the hook while being played. Thats what the rod, reel, and ones own ability is for :roll:

would you use an elastic leader for any reason which is what it is really.

Ive seen it banned on some fisheries down south probably because of safety issues (tether) (daniel beat me to it)
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Another tip, use some neat diluting juice instead of water for mixing yer groundbait.
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Daniel wrote:
Most commercial venues have banned the elasticated feeders because if you snap off the fish is towing the feeder around. I've limited experience with them for that very reason and the only advantage I could find was the ability to have one already made up when I needed to recast which was a bit quicker when match fishing but since moulds became available I can have my feeder loaded and ready to cast in twenty seconds which is faster than I could change an empty feeder for a full one!

The guy in the shops talking cobblers about using a running set up. The method feeder is so successful because the fish hook themselves against the weight of the feeder making the bites unmissable. If you're getting rip round bites but not connecting a slightly longer hooklength, anything up to 8" is fine but 99% of the time hooklengths between 3 and 6" will do the business.

Stick to what you were doing and practise. Being fast at loading the feeder and hitting the same spot every chuck will catch you far more fish than changing rigs ever will.

PS: if you don't already have one get a groundbait whisk and a cordless drill, mixing groundbait becomes the easiest thing in the world as it does away with riddling out the lumps and trying to distribute the water evenly throughout the mix , 2kgs can be mixed in seconds :thumbs:
Thanks for that Dan. I'm never going to fish a match, that's not the reason I personally go fishing, so speed is never going to be an issue for me. I think you're right in the fact I need to get some serious practice in to become proficient with the method, but it's always good to talk about it when we can't be on the bank! A whisk and a drill sounds hardcore and odd though it sounds, I enjoy the process of making groundbait with a riddle - it's a little bit therapeutic the first thing after getting out of bed and arriving at the water...I know I'm getting old! :tea:
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Andrew Croft wrote:
Another tip, use some neat diluting juice instead of water for mixing yer groundbait.
WTH is "neat diluting juice"?! :scratch:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Diluting juice that hasnt been diluted....... Robinsons for example.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Andrew Croft wrote:
A can of red bull or similar energy drink replacing some of the water is more effective :thumbs:
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

OK, so the method roadshow continues tomorrow. This time I'm off to another small water where the predominant species is carp. There's a mix of F1's and (from my walk around the venue last week) some nice fish to at least mid-doubles.

This presents a potential issue that I didn't have to cope with on Saturday at the non-carp water. If I'm clipped up for casting accuracy, how do I handle bigger carp if/when they want to take line? Do I just need to be quick and unclip the line (which then means more casting with no bait on to get to the right distance and clip up again), or is there another trick to this? :scratch:

Got some change baits this time of band um's and small boillies as well as the hard pellets.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
OK, so the method roadshow continues tomorrow. This time I'm off to another small water where the predominant species is carp. There's a mix of F1's and (from my walk around the venue last week) some nice fish to at least mid-doubles.

This presents a potential issue that I didn't have to cope with on Saturday at the non-carp water. If I'm clipped up for casting accuracy, how do I handle bigger carp if/when they want to take line? Do I just need to be quick and unclip the line (which then means more casting with no bait on to get to the right distance and clip up again), or is there another trick to this? :scratch:

Got some change baits this time of band um's and small boillies as well as the hard pellets.

Keep the rod tip low, lean into the fish quite hard and you'll get a few turns of line back on the spool before the fish realises what's happened. Play the fish to the net still keeping the rod tip low, only lift the rod up when you think its close enough to net. Even big carp can be guided in fairly easily, they only go nuts when you try to lift them to get them in the net. With practice you'll be able to draw it up to the surface and net it in one smooth motion.
Don't be afraid to let the rod bend, they are designed to bend so let do its job.

If you are not confident about that tie a very small stop knot on the line and put the knot behind the clip. If you have to unclip you can just cast out the empty feeder and pop the knot back behind the clip wind it back in and carry on fishing.

Alternatively. Once you've clipped up place the rod on the ground, open the bail arm and holding the feeder walk away until you get to the line clip. You can either count the paces or place a marker on the ground. Now if you do feel you have to unclip you can just put the rod back on the same spot on the ground and pace it out again.
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Thanks Dan. :thumbs: I'll go with the rod low and getting some line on the reel before the fish knows what's happening. Re the rod's abilities, obviously I've not fished with it yet, but it did do some impressive acrobatics in the shop so I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do "in the wild"! :grin:
Marty
Chub
Chub

Post by Marty »

I find that there are very few commercial waters where you have to fish at over 50 yds, in fact on a large number you can find the fish at under 15 yds, so its very very rare that i find myself having to clip up.
With the right kit (which you now have) you should be able to drop the feeder within a dustbin lid area at 50yds and less every time (with a bit of practice).
If you really get the fish competing it can actually be an advantage to be not so accurate with your casting as it'll keep line bites. foulhookings and violent plucks to a minimum and result in positive bites again.

Daniels advice is spot on if you find/feel you have to use the clip :thumbs:

1 last piece of advice - Dont overlook the margins (and that can be a foot from the bank), i often feed a margin spot for the first few hours, and only put a bait on it in the last hour. If you've fed it right and left it alone you can often pull 50lb of fish off it in the last hour. I will however alternate between my main spot and the margin spot if its hard going or if one of the spots is going mental.

keep the reports coming in!
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Marty wrote:
I find that there are very few commercial waters where you have to fish at over 50 yds, in fact on a large number you can find the fish at under 15 yds, so its very very rare that i find myself having to clip up.
With the right kit (which you now have) you should be able to drop the feeder within a dustbin lid area at 50yds and less every time (with a bit of practice).
If you really get the fish competing it can actually be an advantage to be not so accurate with your casting as it'll keep line bites. foulhookings and violent plucks to a minimum and result in positive bites again.

Daniels advice is spot on if you find/feel you have to use the clip :thumbs:

1 last piece of advice - Dont overlook the margins (and that can be a foot from the bank), i often feed a margin spot for the first few hours, and only put a bait on it in the last hour. If you've fed it right and left it alone you can often pull 50lb of fish off it in the last hour. I will however alternate between my main spot and the margin spot if its hard going or if one of the spots is going mental.

keep the reports coming in!
I like a spot about 35-40 yards out because its beyond pole range so when someone turns up and sits in the swim next to me despite the lake being deserted :roll: I know I have the fish at that range to myself because the other guy will almost certainly set up with a pole.
Good point about a margin swim though. Don't feed it too close to where your sat or the hooked fish you're playing from the far swim can spook the fish in the margin.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Margins are excellent :laughs:

6lb ghosty about a foot out :grin: took it next peg over to get weighed to come back to another one sitting 3 inches from the bank. Spooked that one though. Commercials for ye though.
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

So day two of my method education began with me arriving at 7am at another venue. Groundbait mixed up first thing, same profile as on Saturday with the addition of a few leftover soft pellets. The 10' Mini Plus was set up with 8lb mainline and a 3.5" 7lb hooklink to a size 14 barbless hook.
This is what I was looking at:
This was the planned inside swim for later, just on the edge of the lilies. Corn and pellets were to be dribbled in until I was ready to try this spot.
This was the main swim - I was to be concentrating on the reed basket on the left, as opposed to the island on the right. This followed a chat with the bailiff who suggested that as everyone always cast to the island the basket may be a less pressured spot for the fish.
I put a Sonubaits white choc Band 'um onto the band, filled the feeder and cast out. Much easier to gauge distance using the shorter rod - score one for accuracy here. I was messing about with the rod rest and the feeder was out for about three minutes whilst I sorted this. As I went to pick up the rod to re-cast, this took a fancy to the pellet!
Nice start - first cast!! :grin:
As I began the process of feeding the swim by constant re-casting, I was getting sharp pulls and lots of tremors on the tip. Something small then hooked itself and promptly fell off. I suspected bream, so changed the Band 'um out for a 4mm trout pellet. Bingo - next cast and this hit the net confirming my suspicions:
As it hit the net there was a crack and I assumed that I'd snapped the line. Errrrr, no...
£150, c.10 casts, two fish and it'd blown up, :hissy: I called the shop where I bought it from and they've agreed to replace it tomorrow, but that'll cost me a day's fishing... :cry:
Having not bought the 12 footer with me, that was the end of the method fishing for today. I spent the rest of the day catching bits and getting routinely smashed up by mid double carp on my float rod because that was the only thing I had left and it didn't have the grunt to keep the fish out of the pads. After losing the fourth fish, I realised I was doing the fish no favours with my inadequate tackle so let them be and drove home.
Not the greatest day, but there will be others!! :cool:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Ouch. How unfortunate. Atleast they are replacing it :thumbs:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

What a bummer. I've given my preston mini some serious abuse so I'll admit to being a bit shocked to see that happen to the new version, hopefully it was a freak incident and the replacement will be spot on.

It could be worse mate. The first time I went out with my new pole which had just cost me 2k the bailiff stumbled down the bank and landed on three sections that were in the pole rest smashing all of them, it cost him 600 quid!
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

2k for a pole :afraid: why!
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Andrew Croft wrote:
2k for a pole :afraid: why!
I was quite into match fishing at the time and you cannot compete without a pole. However, I have a knackered shoulder and after a days pole fishing I was barely able to work the next day (I'm a brickie).
After having a go with top of the range poles other lads had I found they were so much easier to use and more importantly I wasn't in pain so I bit the bullet and went for it.

I had to get the full match kit valued for insurance purposes, it was valued at 7k :laughs:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Thats a good reason i suppose. Though id sooner not fish with a pole than pay that..... :laughs:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Andrew Croft wrote:
Thats a good reason i suppose. Though id sooner not fish with a pole than pay that..... :laughs:
Its not a method I actually enjoy that much tbh but I like to win so needs must :laughs:
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

I've broken rods before (all my fault) but this is the first rod I've ever had that's gone on its own. Not bad I guess for the time I've been fishing. Just really frustrating that I didn't have another rod in the bag to do the job.
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
I've broken rods before (all my fault) but this is the first rod I've ever had that's gone on its own. Not bad I guess for the time I've been fishing. Just really frustrating that I didn't have another rod in the bag to do the job.
I've broken 6 or 7 now, almost always from overloading on the cast, never broken one playing a fish and I play them harder than most.

I'm sure the replacement will be spot on but if not I'd get an older standard mini.
Marty
Chub
Chub

Post by Marty »

If theres a fault in the blank it usually goes within the first trip or two, it does happen (ask Dave Marrs :red: ) any decent dealer/manufacturer knows this and will replace with no worries.

even though a purpose designed method rod is very forgiving its still important to have a smooth and correctly set drag - you've probably already found out how savage the takes can be and ive seen multiple rods pulled off rests into the water. (If my hand aint on the reel then i flick the anti-reverse off!)

that looks like a lovely little water for the method feeder, plenty of features to fish to :thumbs:

I wonder if anyone fancies a Pit social on a commercial water, fishing for carp/bream/tench etc ? - would make a change from the usual.

(could make it a weekend, one day hauling on a commercial, the other on the Wye barbeling)
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Sounds interesting that does marty.

Need to think of overall cost before i could commit though.
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Marty wrote:
If theres a fault in the blank it usually goes within the first trip or two, it does happen (ask Dave Marrs :red: ) any decent dealer/manufacturer knows this and will replace with no worries.

even though a purpose designed method rod is very forgiving its still important to have a smooth and correctly set drag - you've probably already found out how savage the takes can be and ive seen multiple rods pulled off rests into the water. (If my hand aint on the reel then i flick the anti-reverse off!)

that looks like a lovely little water for the method feeder, plenty of features to fish to :thumbs:

I wonder if anyone fancies a Pit social on a commercial water, fishing for carp/bream/tench etc ? - would make a change from the usual.

(could make it a weekend, one day hauling on a commercial, the other on the Wye barbeling)
Well the Mini Plus is whole again, having this morning picked up a new carrier top section. Next trip out was going to be tomorrow but we're scheduled for storms in the SE so it looks like Saturday it is.

That water is c. 3 acres Marty, has three islands running down the middle and four of those reed baskets. The trouble I had yesterday was, despite being told there were loads of F1's in the water, all I saw were mid double carp - it's a challenge on match gear for sure! :afraid: There are lots of nice small waters like that in this particular club. (I can't name it as the club has a strict no publicity rule).

I've a question re reel size. I'm currently using a 2500 Stradic for the Mini Plus and it's too small. The spool is far too narrow and I'm getting bad coiling of the line. Can anyone recommend a suitable wide arbour spooled reel? Budget is flexible and I'm currently looking at the Shimmy Aero FA Feeder: Image or possibly even the Daiwa TDX: Image(although even I don't want to shell out £200+ for the latter! :pale: It's an amazing piece, mind - I tried one on for size in the shop today! :clap: )

I'd be up for a commercial weekend Marty! :grin: :thumbs:
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Not sure if this reel meets your requirements but have a look at map acs 3000FD

spool holds 80 yards of 5lb mono even more or higher bs if you use feeder braid.

I didnt want the bait runner version to keep it small on my quiver tip rod not that bothered about it as im hovering over my rods.

Also uas an auto clip (line clip) that fish can pull out while being played (only works in conjuction with line roller on bail arm) but wont on the cast

best thing about it is its a solid reel and only £40

came with double and single handle and two spools (same size sadly)

think bait rnner is only a 4000FD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.