Small method feeders - a few questions

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Small method feeders - a few questions

Post by Daniel »

Knowing the venue had just been restocked I'd have gone with micro pellets on the method rather than ground bait because for stocked fish, pellets are their idea of natural food.
For hook bait I'd have gone with banded hard pellets, experimenting with 4,6 and 8mm.

It's still early in the season so I'd take it easy with the feeding and recasting.
I wouldn't make the 10-20 casts at the start to put a bed down but recast every ten minutes or so unless I was getting bites more often than that.
So if I was casting every ten minutes but started getting bites within 5-6 minutes of casting I'd recast after 8 minutes if I hadn't had a bite rather than wait.
The difference in the number of fish in the net this little change can make will surprise most but it's worth the effort of keeping an eye on your watch between bites, you'll usually see a pattern.
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Post by Patrick Bateman »

Thanks for the tips Dan. I'll have both pellets and groundbait with me for the feeder next time out. I tried all sorts of baits including 4, 6 & 8 mm pellets, it just seemed that they weren't having anything at all. Not sure I'll go straight back, I'll appreciate the rod going round a few times next time out!

The pretty little carp water I've been fishing in this thread doesn't open until 1st June so I need to look at other venues. The small lake stuffed with carp and catfish suffered a major fish kill last summer but it has been restocked. I might give that a bash starting off with pellets, but I fear it may be busy just now and there are only about ten pegs in total on it. Time to delve deeper into the club book to see what else is on offer...
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

Dong forget paste in its various forms.
Patrick Bateman
Chub
Chub

Post by Patrick Bateman »

Quick update on the new gear.

I'm astonished to find out that the Preston chair doesn't come with telescopic legs. You can buy telescopic legs for them (and I have), but the previous feeder chair they did had them so I'm less than impressed - whoever designed that bit of cost saving at Preston needs shooting. The cost of the chair just went up £50 to make it usable. That said, it's a nice piece of kit once modified appropriately with said new legs.

I've picked up the XL side tray today which is great, but when you break it down in two it's still huge! How the hell do match anglers take these big side trays to their pegs? They're about twice the height of my carryall side pockets!

Early to middle of next week looks like being the plan for the next round...