Chub

Mako

Post by owen k »

dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Mako

Post by dannytaylor »

Read about the angler who achieved the shark grand slam in last weeks angling times. Didnt realise how rare a catch the mako is. Amazing creatures, the only shark that is classed as a game fish.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

dannytaylor wrote: Tue Jul 25 2017 19:19 -
Read about the angler who achieved the shark grand slam in last weeks angling times. Didnt realise how rare a catch the mako is. Amazing creatures, the only shark that is classed as a game fish.
This is why they are classed as a game fish Danny, watch from 7,20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOIzaDYVeho possibly the worlds most excitable angler, note every jump of the fish is almost identical.

I take it that by the photos the irish fish was killed :roll:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

They jump some height!!!! Again amazing fish, couldnt watch the whole vid, yep very excitable :laughs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Ive seen them free jump when Ive been offshore.
They come up like a polaris missile when they attack basking swordfish with the intention of slicing off the tail which they can do with one bite, they then bite off the bill and eat the swordie as their leisure.
While out fishing in the the bay of Cadiz in 1999 we found a 200kg swordfish being eaten by a mako, I wanted to bait and hook the beast but the boat owner insisted we pushed to fish away so he could rescue the swordie body and take it back (so tight he kept it all to himself).
The mako was big (ish) around 300kgs, the swordie body weighed over 100kgs and the bite marks on it were 48cm across.
Makos are the only species of shark that will swim up to the boat and eyeball the angler before continueing the fight, amazing creatures.

As Ive posted elsewhere mako steaks are not unlike swordfish (to look at) and most of it is sold as such in tourist restaurants.
To check if what your eating is swordfish rub your hand backwards and forwards over the skin, of its smooth both ways its genuine, if its rough in one direction its mako,
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
jimmy minors
Roach
Roach

Post by jimmy minors »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Wed Jul 26 2017 06:48 -
This is why they are classed as a game fish Danny, watch from 7,20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOIzaDYVeho possibly the worlds most excitable angler, note every jump of the fish is almost identical.

Cheers Alan
I thought that,then checked the story a second time & was reassured to read the text at the bottom of the last photo
Yeah?Did ya?
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

Have there ever been any reported shark attacks that where makos?
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

jimmy minors wrote: Wed Jul 26 2017 09:04 -

Cheers Alan
I thought that,then checked the story a second time & was reassured to read the text at the bottom of the last photo
What made me think the fish was dead was the photo of the three chaps, one very close to the dangerous bit!

Glad to see I was wrong...again! :laughs:
dannytaylor wrote:
Have there ever been any reported shark attacks that where makos?
Yes there has been Danny, only rarely though as the are fish eaters!
The most dangerous thing about a mako is if one of those jumps lands the fish into the boat, people have been killed that way!

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Makos are of the requim family of sharks, so named because they arrive when there are dead bodies around.
Largest group I ever saw were munching a dead whale.

As Alan says Makos in boats are BAD news indeed, and the only live one I ever had aboard mouthed a 25mm diameter stainless leg of a tee top and bit dents into it!
Ive only killed a couple since then, one with a bang stick (12bore cartridge tipped) and the other by a 1/2nm reverse swim.
Progressed to unhooking with a length of scaffold pole, finally circles on single strand, cutting near the hook to pull it out.

I can hear some asking "whats it like to fight one" - all sizes are stuborn and unpredictable, feel very very heavy, like pulling on a fridge and thats with heavy tackle, some jump, some dont, always hard work, a young mans game.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Mike J wrote: Wed Jul 26 2017 12:44 -
Makos are of the requim family of sharks, so named because they arrive when there are dead bodies around.
Largest group I ever saw were munching a dead whale.

As Alan says Makos in boats are BAD news indeed, and the only live one I ever had aboard mouthed a 25mm diameter stainless leg of a tee top and bit dents into it!
Ive only killed a couple since then, one with a bang stick (12bore cartridge tipped) and the other by a 1/2nm reverse swim.
Progressed to unhooking with a length of scaffold pole, finally circles on single strand, cutting near the hook to pull it out.

I can hear some asking "whats it like to fight one" - all sizes are stuborn and unpredictable, feel very very heavy, like pulling on a fridge and thats with heavy tackle, some jump, some dont, always hard work, a young mans game.
Sounds like u have experienced some great fishing mike! :thumbs:
piker60
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker60 »

Mike J wrote: Wed Jul 26 2017 07:30 -
Ive seen them free jump when Ive been offshore.
They come up like a polaris missile when they attack basking swordfish with the intention of slicing off the tail which they can do with one bite, they then bite off the bill and eat the swordie as their leisure.
While out fishing in the the bay of Cadiz in 1999 we found a 200kg swordfish being eaten by a mako, I wanted to bait and hook the beast but the boat owner insisted we pushed to fish away so he could rescue the swordie body and take it back (so tight he kept it all to himself).
The mako was big (ish) around 300kgs, the swordie body weighed over 100kgs and the bite marks on it were 48cm across.
Makos are the only species of shark that will swim up to the boat and eyeball the angler before continueing the fight, amazing creatures.

As Ive posted elsewhere mako steaks are not unlike swordfish (to look at) and most of it is sold as such in tourist restaurants.
To check if what your eating is swordfish rub your hand backwards and forwards over the skin, of its smooth both ways its genuine, if its rough in one direction its mako,
Yes has a bit of a reputation has the Mako. The Mako, Porbeagle and Great White being members of the same family. The porbeagle is a great tasting shark meat as well. Many years ago we caught a 60 lb porbeagle pup that was badly hooked, so we shared it. Very good quality meat which they like on the continent.
Last edited by piker60 on Fri Sep 15 2017 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
"The best argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"
W.Churchill
It doesn't matter who you vote for the government still gets in.
pikerholic2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pikerholic2 »

Wow what a fish

The mako is one super brawler

Never hooked one , been fishing for threshers off dungeness this summer ....dident hook one of them either!!

Mako is a very rare uk fish
Threshers are quite rare !

Nevs notable mako list would be a very short list !
Crack Hargreaves...........far out of town.

Mr godfrey I post mostly drivel
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Cheers Alan
Well, I had to turn the sound OFF!

(But how fcuking amazing was that face)
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shark-sale-Wil ... B0000CKYTL

Plenty of Requin in there. The shelf drops off to 2 miles depth in the Seychelles, it's a good read and makes you want to go back in time and see for yourself. Well it did me.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Deep offshore water can also be found around the coastline of Southern Europe.
Where I fish we have 3000m of depth and canyons even deeper, also extinct underwater volcanos that come almost to the surface.

You dont have to go halfway round the world to find deep water but I admit the glamour effect is probably greater.

:cool:
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Where off Southern Europe mike?nr the canaries?ornear Portugal?
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Hi Al,
South off Portugal, West off Cadiz.

You interested?
Bigeyes are the target now the tourneys are over.
PM for more.

bigaldo
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by bigaldo »

I hooked one out from Lagos in Portugal. Most exciting 10 seconds ive ever had!! Bit right through the leader wire!!!
"Alll the battles are won, but I'm still on the run"