Fly fishing kit for pike

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Fly fishing kit for pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

Hi guys, I have always been interested in fly fishing for Esox.

I had a fly casting lesson yesterday, which was fun. Using a 6 weight rod for trout. Obviously too weak for pike.

I looked at some set ups in the shop after the fly casting lesson however a 9 weight rod, reel , line etc wouldn't give me much change out of £300.

Browsing the net, I came across an Airflo predator/saltwater kit for £70.

Anyone have any experience with Airflo? Seems to get great reviews.
I know you get what you pay for (sometimes) but I don't think I can justify spending £300 on decent kit especially as I haven't tried fly fishing.

Is there any other decent set up that you would recommend?

I'm thinking about buying the Airflo and see how I get on.

Thoughts and recommendations greatly appreciated :thumbs:
PaulBrindle
Roach
Roach

Re: Fly fishing kit for pike

Post by PaulBrindle »

Your line is the most important bit, go for rio musky or airflo sniper lines.
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

Thanks Paul.

Will Google the lines you mentioned
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Shakespeare agility xps rod is a good cheap rod. Get a decent line I use the guideline pike float/hover/intermediate for the majority of the time.
To be honest your best bet is to pick up a second hand outfit where someone's upgraded or selling cos they don't use. Wrong time to be buying 2nd hand really though due to blagdon.
Join the pffa it's only a tenner and ask if anyone's got anything they want to sell.
Mono1
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Mono1 »

Second that...join the PFFA. Plenty of experience on there to help you get started, also with opportunities to meet up and fish. Fenland Flyer this Saturday, which is always good fun and not too serious.
bigaldo
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by bigaldo »

The agility rod is very soft and floppy. The airflo predator kit does the job for under 60 quid. My pal had a 25 on it, sorry i was nearly sick there. I paid 250 for the Piketrek Pikesabre outfit. Seems a good outfit for the money, ive had a lot of fish on it. Lots of choices out there.
"Alll the battles are won, but I'm still on the run"
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

Thanks for the advice
I didn't want to spend a fortune on the kit until I get to grips with it and enjoy it.

Is there any other reasonably priced kit you would recommend ?
Barbelist
Chub
Chub

Post by Barbelist »

Just started flinging dead budgies about for pike myself...Managed to borrow some kit from a mate to see how it was. Biggest and best advice is to get a good line as it helps with casting soooooo much. I went for Airflo Sniper di3 and, once I got the hang of double haul casting, can get a fly well away😎
COMPLAINING ABOUT A PROBLEM WITHOUT PROPOSING A SOLUTION IS CALLED WHINING
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

bigaldo wrote: Sun Oct 22 2017 08:19 -
The agility rod is very soft and floppy. The airflo predator kit does the job for under 60 quid. My pal had a 25 on it, sorry i was nearly sick there. I paid 250 for the Piketrek Pikesabre outfit. Seems a good outfit for the money, ive had a lot of fish on it. Lots of choices out there.
I know what your saying about the agility but it's good for beginners as it allows plenty of control and it's very forgiving. I wouldn't call it soft and floppy though lol makes it sound terrible!
Same as any fly rods best to go and try them out see what suits you.
Catfish Paul
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Catfish Paul »

Thanks guys for the advice

I can remember reading somewhere, think it might have been written by John Wilson, that dropping a dead bait in the margin on a fly rod is one of the most enjoyable ways to catch a pike.

Any of you guys tried it??
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc »

bigaldo wrote: Sun Oct 22 2017 08:19 -
He only had low 20's on that ole setup of yours, the 25 :tongues: was on the sage.

Paul get the airflo kit see if you like the method and buy a sniper line for it.
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"
taggie
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by taggie »

shakespeare agility is a decent rod for the money
defo get a sniper line youll cast no probs with it
oh and the pffa membership is the best tenner youll spend this year
BORN TO FISH,FORCED TO WORK :-(

PFFA Membership Secretary
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

I'd advise against the pike sabre as a beginner it's a bit of a broomstick, I bought one and sold it on not too long after then won one on the pffa fenland flyer the other year, sold it on the very next day. There's much better rods out there for the money, but rods are a very personal thing. Get a good line on any rod and it'll improve your pike fly fishing experience, for the money airflo snipers are hard to beat but for a few pounds less Mike barrio has some new predator lines out, if they are anything like the other barrio lines that I own in lighter weights then they will be smashing
John Noden
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by John Noden »

mart_mscustomlures wrote: Thu Oct 26 2017 00:42 -
I'd advise against the pike sabre as a beginner it's a bit of a broomstick, I bought one and sold it on not too long after then won one on the pffa fenland flyer the other year, sold it on the very next day. There's much better rods out there for the money, but rods are a very personal thing. Get a good line on any rod and it'll improve your pike fly fishing experience, for the money airflo snipers are hard to beat but for a few pounds less Mike barrio has some new predator lines out, if they are anything like the other barrio lines that I own in lighter weights then they will be smashing
https://www.flylineshop.com/shop.html#! ... y=10329716

been using Mikes lines for years now :thumbs:
"Noddy"
spittlebug
Perch
Perch

Post by spittlebug »

Hi, there two Shakespeare agility xps one for #8 lines, one for #10 lines.
Only had a short try out with #10 one, seems OK, middle to tippish, what i can remember.

Bob
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

Don't bother with the 8 weight rod Bob, suitable for trout, not pike,.............. get a 10 weight the more powerful the better, play them hard and get them back in a.s.a.p.
spittlebug
Perch
Perch

Post by spittlebug »

Hi, if you mean me Nigel, i have the 10 wt one.
Stillwater Fly Fished for Trout for years. But doing mostly Coarse Fishing now + bit of River Trouting.
Got Sage Rods, but for Pike, River Fishing, bought cheaper but OK ones, for amount of use they will get.

Bob