Plugging on the River Blackwater..... My first lure caught Bass....

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Charlie Skynyard
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Plugging on the River Blackwater..... My first lure caught Bass....

Post by Charlie Skynyard »

Well, this morning i joined a motley crew, including myself and 3 others, to go plugging for the bass over on the River Blackwater.

We all thought it, and eventually one of us plucked up the courage to say it... Conditions were perfect!!! Image

Water was gin clear, hardly a breath of wind, and a hell of a lot of fish showing (although the majority turned out to be mullet, and big buggers at that).

And that is pretty much the start and end of it, all 4 of us fished hard, with myself and 2 of the others plugging and one trying his luck on the fly. I was the only one to hook a fish, and managed 2. Albeit small schoolies (biggest about 1lb).

But, i was chuffed, they were my first plug caught bass, and I took the first one off the surface! Great fun!

Here's a couple of photos of the fish i had, and a nice arty one of the scenery.

Arty, scenery pic. Like a mill pond....:

The first fish, taken off the surface on a Heddon Vamp Spook, fished walk the dog style. (Wasn't very obliging for the photos):

Second and smaller of the 2 was taken on a cheapy 99p chinese/ebay shallow plug:

Shame the fishing wasn't great, but still a lovely venue and a nice way to spend a morning.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Plugging on the River Blackwater..... My first lure caught Bass....

Post by Dave Horton »

My Mucker Vince from Wickford and I have walked around that area many many times in the past couple of years with our dogs and every time we say we ought to have a go for the Bass with some lures.
Perhaps we will now?

(Nice one face)
Charlie Skynyard
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Well worth a go mate, loads of fish about today, but just weren't interested in the lures, i think the bright conditions and the big tide didn't help. Saw a pair of fish together a few times, and they both easily over 8lb.

We also saw some monster mullet, quite a few well over 7lbs.
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Have you fished around there with baits before too Charlie?

(Been thinking of that too face)
Charlie Skynyard
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

No not yet Dave, but after seeing the ground there, i do plan to.

I think ragworm would be the killer bait! Image