Brownie hunt 2018

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
nigel savage
Major
Major

Brownie hunt 2018

Post by nigel savage » Mon Apr 23 2018 00:25

Having a go at the Browns at Rutland at the moment the reservoirs has been in excellent form with superb browns being caught again, the biggest one so far is 8lb +.
Last year there was at least seven doubles recorded, prospects look very good again this season.
Best one for me so far is this one around 5-1/2- 6lb, also had three others around the 5lb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Brownie hunt 2018

Post by davelumb » Mon Apr 23 2018 08:33

:thumbs:

fergie68
Major
Major

Post by fergie68 » Mon Apr 23 2018 08:44

:thumbs: Some fish. :grin:
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

Happy Hayes
Major
Major

Post by Happy Hayes » Mon Apr 23 2018 15:27

Another fine fish Mr Savage :thumbs:

GAVIN H
Colonel
Colonel

Post by GAVIN H » Mon Apr 30 2018 19:02

nigel savage wrote:
Having a go at the Browns at Rutland at the moment the reservoirs has been in excellent form with superb browns being caught again, the biggest one so far is 8lb +.
Last year there was at least seven doubles recorded, prospects look very good again this season.
Best one for me so far is this one around 5-1/2- 6lb, also had three others around the 5lb.
How do you go about targeting those Nige. Over here(ireland) trolling would be the first choice but i would guess thats not allowed for you. Just curious how you go about it?

nigel savage
Major
Major

Post by nigel savage » Thu May 03 2018 00:10

Hiya Gavin,

'You get certain times of the year for them, i fish fry patterns right from the start (normally associated with late season) in the assumption that what it sees before it, is probably what it's been feeding on over the winter.
A good number of these browns are returned, with a one brown limit each day in force, a fish just short of 6lb was knocked on the head last Sunday, there was a 4" perch amongst it's stomach contents.

Bank fishing,
It's a single fly (fry) fished on a substantial leader around 10/12lb + nowadays the fly is a minkie, a strip of mink tied zonker style.
Another pattern I'm onto is made from olive Icelandic sheep fibres.
Floating fry patterns, can be very exciting fishing taking a big fish off the surface, i personally use spun white deer clipped to shape, caught my biggest ever brown on one a 11lb 4oz fish.

Boat tactics.
i use the same tactics around the shallows or weed beds, over the deeper water drifting onto the weed beds i'll use an intermediate line, a few other anglers use med /fast sink lines stripped back extremely fast, most times with two flies, takes can be very aggressive!

When some of the bigger buzzer hatches occur, or when we get a decent olive hatch can be good, watching big browns sipping flies off the surface is memorable.

Somebody done an article in Trout fisherman/Trout and Salmon magazines (can't remember which?) using the above tactics on one of the big Irish lochs i think it was Corrib, and they had good sport, give it a go Gavin!

One to leave you with
harbour brown.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cookiesdaughtersdad
Brigadier
Brigadier

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad » Sun May 06 2018 10:16

B E A utifull fish them brownies, Nigel had a few nice ones myself to nearly 8 from Grafham, mate had a double, we used to fish the deep water with lure patterns on a slow drift, didnt catch many but well worth it when you did!

What the record for both reservoirs ?

Cheers ALan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.

BOBC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BOBC » Sun May 06 2018 18:10

The Rutland record is 17lbs something. I think Grafhams is heavier still. The Rutland fish is set up behind the lodge counter.