Worms online...

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Worms online...

Post by Nobby C »

Due to the demise of my local(ish) tackle shop I'm now forced to buy online or drive an hour in the opposite direction to get lobs. Has anyone here ordered online before and what was the experience like?
I've seen 4 retailers so far but one stands out in that you get 100 lobs for your £15 as opposed to 50. Storage is a bit of an issue for me , living in a flat but I reckon |I'd just freeze the leftovers, I kill them before hooking anyway so that's fine with me. Also, when snatching bait tiddlers, can anyone recommend an alternative to maggots as they're not so available online, I'm thinking hemp and cloudbait to get a few fresh deads, any other suggestions?
All for the eels here now.
https://baitline.co.uk/product/lobworms-approx-100
Last edited by Nobby C on Sun May 20 2018 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Worms online...

Post by davelumb »

I've bought lobs online from Worms Direct and Willy's Worms. Preferred Worms Direct. I keep the tub on the concrete garage floor and they've lasted well enough.
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

Always had good worms and service from Yorkshire worms. You could always use bread punch for bait snatching.
Theres one or two phoneys round here ..
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Nobby C wrote: Sun May 20 2018 07:52 -
Due to the demise of my local(ish) tackle shop I'm now forced to buy online or drive an hour in the opposite direction to get lobs. Has anyone here ordered online before and what was the experience like?
I've seen 4 retailers so far but one stands out in that you get 100 lobs for your £15 as opposed to 50. Storage is a bit of an issue for me , living in a flat but I reckon |I'd just freeze the leftovers, I kill them before hooking anyway so that's fine with me. Also, when snatching bait tiddlers, can anyone recommend an alternative to maggots as they're not so available online, I'm thinking hemp and cloudbait to get a few fresh deads, any other suggestions?
All for the eels here now.
https://baitline.co.uk/product/lobworms-approx-100
As Dave mentions I've used worms direct, when they arrive I take the soil out and put shredded damp newspaper in the bucket and keep them in the fridge. I then check them every three days remove any manky ones and change the bedding.

A bit of a faff, that's while I prefer to lure fish now. Like you, my local shop Gerrys of Wimbledon sold up a few years back so I'm pretty much screwed for getting bait.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
AndyLarkins
Perch
Perch

Post by AndyLarkins »

I've been using Willy's Worms for years.... always had excellent service/product/value! :thumbs:

https://willyworms.co.uk/

re storage: you can pick-up a small secondhand "bait" fridge for very little (if not free) :wink:
Image http://www.canterburypac.blogspot.com
"C'MON!.. Ya like a fat girl in red shoes" Andy Brown 2015
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

a fridge is too cold for worms, Dave has the right idea a concrete floor.
Plenty of ventilation in the tub, and keep them in a bigger container till you want them for bait, make a nice bed for them from shredded paper, soak brown paper and cardboard and put that in, add a bit of old horse muck, they love it. Chuck a bit of salad waste in every now and then (no onion) and they will last ages. Don't let the compost get too wet.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

If you live in a flat stand the worm tub inside a sink or bath of cold water, I chill my maggots this way (in a pail of water on the garage floor) and they last forever.
If you want to feed them use banana skins, the tench will find them irresistible.

My regular supply comes from my own wormery.
Started with 1/2kg of small dendros in 2009 and Ive had them ever since.
Must be tens of 1000s in there eating their way through everything from cardboard, newspapers, veg and fuit peelings, grass clippings, old cotton and wool clothing, even the odd drilled rat.
The whole system is emptied each summer producing a cubic yard or more of compost or ground-bait when its dried and sieved.
Every so often I take a few out for a swim but they've become my pets rather than a bait scource (and yes I do talk to them).
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus