Skeggy beach fishing

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Skeggy beach fishing

Post by Steve D »

I visit Skeg a fair bit in the summer and the beach is a 5 minute walk from the van we stay in, I've only had one bash with some lures in the past and caught a carrier bag ๐Ÿ™„

Is it worth lure fishing off the beach or I'm I wasting my time? The area is near Butlins.

I don't own any proper sea fishing gear to bait fish with so would just stick to using lures like Toby's etc.

Cheers.
Theres one or two phoneys round here ..
Kev Berry

Re: Skeggy beach fishing

Post by Kev Berry »

Steve D wrote: โ†‘Tue May 22 2018 21:17 -
I visit Skeg a fair bit in the summer and the beach is a 5 minute walk from the van we stay in, I've only had one bash with some lures in the past and caught a carrier bag ๐Ÿ™„

Is it worth lure fishing off the beach or I'm I wasting my time? The area is near Butlins.

I don't own any proper sea fishing gear to bait fish with so would just stick to using lures like Toby's etc.

Cheers.
get yourself up to Chapel Point---need a wind blowing onto the beach, can be some cracking bass action (if the seals arnt there)
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

Will take a look Kev, were only just up the road at Ingoldmells.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

dont do it myself but id hazard a guess at a bit of quick fun etc, piers and features etc would be my first choice. dunno how well id fair blastin a lure out from an open beach.
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

Yeah that's what I'm thinking Andrew,( ref blasting lures about.)The thing is the pub we normally end up in during the evening is right on the beach front so the plan was to have a few pints then have a bash :gulp:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Steve D wrote: โ†‘Tue May 22 2018 22:17 -
Yeah that's what I'm thinking Andrew,( ref blasting lures about.)The thing is the pub we normally end up in during the evening is right on the beach front so the plan was to have a few pints then have a bash :gulp:
fished in front of that pub at jinglebells----wacked a couple of marshworm baited hooks out and had a couple of flatties (better than lugworm round there) whilst sinking a few bevvies
my mate had a biggish thornback on (at least we think it was one) took him down tide and broke him off---this would be early summer.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Bait fished along that area using 3.5lb tc pike rods, the mistake many make is trying to cast too far, catch a rising tide at dusk and baits only need to be cast to the 3rd breaker or so, and rarely did I cast more than say 70 yards.
Beach tripods are cheap as on flee bay and you really don't need much gear, most of which you will already have.
As for the lure fishing, as I always find it difficult to lure fish and drink, I dont lure fish!

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

You need one of these from Eastgate market, Alan :wink: :clown:

Who said blokes can't multitask :laughs:
image.jpeg
Cheers for the info chaps, sounds like bait fishing would be more productive!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.