Mackerel

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Luke
Chub
Chub

Re: Mackerel

Post by Luke »

Seem to be hitting pockets of them when I've been out recently. Nothing... nothing... nothing... a rod full... nothing... nothing... a rod full, etc. etc. They're certainly not everywhere. Still hoping for them to show up in huge numbers over the next few weeks like last year.
chrisdonna
Chub
Chub

Post by chrisdonna »

Mike,
But trawlers can take 5 tons each and inshore local fishermen 200 kgs a month.
Not certain if these figure are exactly right but the reasoning behind it is that pleasure anglers take 25% of all bass captures which is surely bonkers.
EU directive - another reason to get out of this communist organisation.
Chrisd
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

chrisdonna wrote: Sun Sep 09 2018 15:39 -
Mike,
But trawlers can take 5 tons each and inshore local fishermen 200 kgs a month.
Not certain if these figure are exactly right but the reasoning behind it is that pleasure anglers take 25% of all bass captures which is surely bonkers.
EU directive - another reason to get out of this communist organisation.
Chrisd

Yes I agree.
In Portugal they implemented a licence for recreational sea anglers, where does the revenue money go, to the commercials who suffer poor catches, why, because the depleted stocks are the fault of recreational anglers. :roll:
That is the sort of decision you get from an EU supported Socio-Communist Government.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

pikerholic2 wrote: Sun Sep 09 2018 08:11 -
Thick with them all along Kent coast , dungy , Hythe
I don't suppose you've got hundreds stashed in ya freezer and have any going spare?

(Do you please Mart face)
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

To those of you that freeze your own.
Has anyone noticed that some thaw out almost as good as they were when caught yet others are soft and mushy?
When I sea fished two or more days a week I used to freeze down all the mackerel nobody wanted (from the 'catching our tea' session on the way in) freezing them individually that evening.
When thawed I always noticed that some would be perfect while others absolute rubbish, trouble is I cannot remember exactly what months produced the best baits :scratch:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Meant filling a Freezer box of macks and just catching some bass Mike.... Fully aware of the Bass issue though I didn't trouble the scorer on either count!
Local boats where not finding and macs last week despite calm conditions. Even the 2 hr mackerel trips where cancelled!

Saw very few ganets or corms down on the Lizard compared to prev years. Local boatman said they are worried the sandeels have been overfished and the knock on will be nasty!
Love the hit!
chrisdonna
Chub
Chub

Post by chrisdonna »

Kevin,
The sand eel issue has reared it ugly head in West Wales with a Russian trawler raping the sand eel stocks for fertiliser.
Locals can`t get them for bait so what chance do the Bass or Macky have?
Chrisd
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Mike J wrote: Tue Sep 11 2018 08:11 -
Has anyone noticed that some thaw out almost as good as they were when caught yet others are soft and mushy?
When I sea fished two or more days a week I used to freeze down all the mackerel nobody wanted (from the 'catching our tea' session on the way in) freezing them individually that evening.
When thawed I always noticed that some would be perfect while others absolute rubbish, trouble is I cannot remember exactly what months produced the best baits :scratch:
I can't say that I've noticed that with my own frozen ones, Mike but then I've not done this too frequently.

(I have though noticed some of the ones purchased through bait suppliers have been less than good face)
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

chrisdonna wrote: Mon Sep 17 2018 17:49 -
Kevin,
The sand eel issue has reared it ugly head in West Wales with a Russian trawler raping the sand eel stocks for fertiliser.
Locals can`t get them for bait so what chance do the Bass or Macky have?
Chrisd
Not good!!!
Love the hit!
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Dave Horton wrote: Tue Sep 18 2018 09:32 -
I can't say that I've noticed that with my own frozen ones, Mike but then I've not done this too frequently.

(I have though noticed some of the ones purchased through bait suppliers have been less than good face)
Maybe like Pike they go through a rough time post spawning and are better in the lead up to the spawning months? Or maybe it coincides with food source. Pike in trout waters always seem a lot more "solid" than pit and broads fish I catch.... Just musing over lunch! No science to it.
Love the hit!
chris_parry
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by chris_parry »

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote: Wed Sep 19 2018 14:36 -

Maybe like Pike they go through a rough time post spawning and are better in the lead up to the spawning months? Or maybe it coincides with food source. Pike in trout waters always seem a lot more "solid" than pit and broads fish I catch.... Just musing over lunch! No science to it.
A few years ago I noticed when out on the sea, that mackerel which had been gutted immediately before going in the fish box remained in pristine condition compared with mackerel which had not been gutted, even though all were covered with ice. The gutted ones were meant for eating and the others for pike baits.
After about two hours, the fish which had been gutted were still firm to touch whereas the others showed signs of softness which would suggest that the guts are partly responsible for the slow decay of the fish. The secret to quality pike baits is to get them frozen as soon as possible, I suppose .
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

chris_parry wrote: Wed Sep 19 2018 19:28 -

A few years ago I noticed when out on the sea, that mackerel which had been gutted immediately before going in the fish box remained in pristine condition compared with mackerel which had not been gutted, even though all were covered with ice. The gutted ones were meant for eating and the others for pike baits.
After about two hours, the fish which had been gutted were still firm to touch whereas the others showed signs of softness which would suggest that the guts are partly responsible for the slow decay of the fish. The secret to quality pike baits is to get them frozen as soon as possible, I suppose .
auto digestion---which is why you see sardines with their bellies splitting open if not fresh
Kevin O'Keeffe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Kevin O'Keeffe »

Yep especially I find wih sardines. Blast frozen on the boat seems to me to be better than those off the slab. But rarely as big!!
Love the hit!
chris_parry
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by chris_parry »

Kevin O'Keeffe wrote: Fri Sep 21 2018 14:50 -

Yep especially I find wih sardines. Blast frozen on the boat seems to me to be better than those off the slab. But rarely as big!!
+1 :thumbs: