Broads boating holiday

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Broads boating holiday

Post by Bob Watson »

I've booked a week on the broads in early september with our lass, I went a couple of times as a young kid and caught my first fish (roach) there aged 7, she's never been so it's just a chilling week. I'll be wetting a line on an evening after mooring up for the night.

If anyone would be willing to pm me, or tell me here, some september target species and bait and tackle requirements I'd be grateful, and if your local I'll stand you a pint!

I wont be taking lure equipment, that takes two hands and I'll need a free one for my beer :wink: I only want to take one rod and minimal tackle, I was thinking avon rod and then your suggestions??

TA!
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Broads boating holiday

Post by jonsykes »

Talking from experience (I went in April - close season) do all the steering yourself. I let my Mrs have 2 minutes & she managed to get a tree through one of the side windows. Glass everywhere, had to go back to the boatyard for a new window fitting.
Toby Cole
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Toby Cole »

plenty of bream to target, just a simple cage feeder rig and plenty of ground bait. Always done well on traditional cocktail baits
Carlperkins
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Carlperkins »

Watched people fishing off the back of the Wherry catching fish using float tactics earlier this week on Oulton Broad
That Perkins !!! 😂
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Plenty of bream roach and perch about, probably my favourite time of the year for broads bream coming 👍
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

In early September you should be able to catch fish in most places that your moor up for the evening.

All of the moorings will have seen a constant trickle of food for the last 2 months, from duck feeding, fishing and kitchen waste over the side, so the fish will be used to those areas.

If you are going to take minimal tackle, and Avon rod, and a couple of spools of 4lb and 6lb line, some long wagglers and a selection of feeders, as well as the usual bits and bobs.

Long waggler will give you some weight to punch it out if you are moored on one of the broad staithes, or give you some extra stability and bulk to get the bait down on the slower tidal stretches.

On the faster tidals, it will be feeder, I often find about 1/3 way across is generally the most consistent.

Maggots will catch you everything, bread and sweetcorn will catch you a better stamp of fish and there are some cracking Roach to be caught on the broads at the moment, 2lb+ fish are not that uncommon, so don't forget the scales.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I was thinking maybe two avons, one for roach and one for perch. Keeping baits simple, hemp, corn and bread flake, worms and prawns.

Thanks for the PM Duncan, I'll be in touch!!

And thanks for the other replies lads :thumbs:
Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 »

jonsykes wrote: Wed Jul 18 2018 19:46 -
Talking from experience (I went in April - close season) do all the steering yourself. I let my Mrs have 2 minutes & she managed to get a tree through one of the side windows. Glass everywhere, had to go back to the boatyard for a new window fitting.
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Well we set off tomorrow, a hotel for Sunday night in Kings Lynn to break the journey up. Get the boat on Monday morning and relax for a week.

I'm taking a pair of Avons :lumby: and I've opted for soaked pellet in a small method feeder on one rod as a bonus fish set up and the other is going to be whatever I feel at the time, worm, maggot bread etc for hopefully a decent roach or perch or two.

I hope I enjoy the broads as much as I did as a 7 year old!!
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

Bob Watson wrote: Sat Sep 01 2018 19:15 -
Well we set off tomorrow, a hotel for Sunday night in Kings Lynn to break the journey up. Get the boat on Monday morning and relax for a week.

I'm taking a pair of Avons :lumby: and I've opted for soaked pellet in a small method feeder on one rod as a bonus fish set up and the other is going to be whatever I feel at the time, worm, maggot bread etc for hopefully a decent roach or perch or two.

I hope I enjoy the broads as much as I did as a 7 year old!!
Have a good un Bob, keep us updated :thumbs:
Andy Sewell
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

Have a great time, let us know how you get on as it may be my back yard one day (hopefully) :thumbs:
Ray Waker
norwich lad
Chub
Chub

Post by norwich lad »

im working on a bungalow in potter heigham next to the river ( will be going up for holiday let next season,with anglers in mind) i fished with a stick float from 6-7.30 thursday before work and had plenty of roach bream and perch a rod length from the bank. see bream anglers fishing from the chalet gardens and they are catching! think find a spot to moor and you will find fish. the river is alive with bait fish at present. enjoy the break.
Lee Davison,Period Furniture Restoration,Carpentry.in Norfolk.

What You Caught mate, Nothing,Won't fish Here Again!
Antony
Chub
Chub

Post by Antony »

Bob did you catch anything on your boating holiday mate ?
Going fishing ? Don’t forget ya camera!!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Yeah, mainly skimmers with the odd roach. I only fished a small method feeder with pellet.

Only had an hour or so on an evening after our pub meal and few pints.

Next time we go, we're going more off the beaten track as far as moorings go and more self catering.

I'll take a pair of pike rods and fish lives!
Antony
Chub
Chub

Post by Antony »

Nice one Bob mate 👍
Going fishing ? Don’t forget ya camera!!