Skiathos

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Skiathos

Post by Happy Hayes »

Gents,has anyone got any experience of fishing any of the Greek islands.
Was thinking of casting a lure from the beach.
Any tips ( advice) would be appreciated
Regards
Tom
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Skiathos

Post by Mike J »

Take a tele spinner or similar and good sunglasses.
6-8lb mono clear and small lures or jigs that you can work fast. Reel body in your carry-on, spools, all hooks and line in your case.
The water is almost gin clear so the better fish don't come in close until dusk.
The first two hours after dawn is best or well into dark under a light source.
Fish for a bite, not for size.
Take a few smallish floats for mullet with soft green weed gathered from the rocks. Bread on size 10s, with mash to get them going works well but beware of Barracuda they abound in some places.
Any bottom bait is likely to attract octopus (long steady pull) strike hard and reel in slow and steady if you want to eat it kill with a stab between the eyes, watch each arm go white and die in turn, keep twisting the knife around until all arms are white, clean (remove ink sack first) beat on a rock to knock off the cutters around the suckers, boil and when cold slice with salad...yummy!! Tip; retain the stomach its the prime bait for Bass, and its buoyant.
Some shops sell tackle but it is a very poor country so you'll only find the basic Chinese (inc. lead shot.

Lastly if you dont know the fish thats on your hook cut it off for and stay safe, some species have wicked stings or can take a finger off.

Remember if you attract local kids and you will, give them your end tackle when you leave
Have a good time, you will love it!

:thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Thanks very much Mike.
Flying out in the morning.
( loved the information about the Octopus 🐙)
Fingers crossed.
Regards
Tom :handshake:
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

495.jpg
493.jpg
497.jpg
Let us know how you get on Tom, I'm going there in a Cpl months myself. Went to Tenerife last week and as usual never took a rod and guess what I saw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Lunker Mullet in the marina, dont you just hate em?

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Well Gents
Would you believe it ,after asking advice and getting it (thanks Mike j )
There wasn’t room for a pack of hooks let alone my usual four piece rod in the case .
I’m gutted ,my first time here and it looks so fishy.
I went to the main port the other night ,nothing big but the place was alive with small stuff.
A few kids fishing (couldn’t tell what they were catching)
Did hear a good story.
A family that has been here before,went to the port to book a boat for the day (not to fish )
They booked the same captain as before ,during the trip the father of the family noticed a couple of fishing rods and asked the captain if they may use them.
The captain said yes ,but said he’d never caught anything,but the young boy that worked on the boat had .
It seems that on a previous trip the young boy dived off the boat with his spear gun ,shot and landed a tuna that one of the local restaurants gave him 400 Euro .
Now after hearing that I’m even more gutted.
Regards
Tom
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

Mike J wrote: Tue Jul 24 2018 19:45 -
Lunker Mullet in the marina, dont you just hate em?

There were mullet, barracuda and plenty of other stuff that I have no idea what they were including a cpl stingrays around the 100lb mark, they would come up to the boats and feed out of peoples hands