Catching Roach on silkweed

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Catching Roach on silkweed

Post by nigel savage »

In the fishing lodge today talking about,...…….what else,...….. fishing! not trout/predators this time but the subject of catching roach on silk weed, any body still trying the method?
A younger member of staff thought myself and shop assistant Robbie who works there were winding him up, we both told him about a really great method of catching roach.

My experience goes back to the early seventies fishing the river Soar In Leicester/shire all you had to do was, a float rod, can't remember the size of hook probably a size 16 then came the precarious bit, standing on/above a weir pool you then simply pulled the hook through the weed on the lip leaving quite a few inches on it, then you merely trotted the float with the flow, it normally didn't go very far as the float just buried itself with roach after roach.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Re: Catching Roach on silkweed

Post by Andrew »

Ive never heard of that. If i didnt know any better id say it was a wind up but when i kept roach in the aquarium i bought a few new plants. Long grassy things. Not valis but like it.

They devoured the lot by the next morning leaving a little stump and a f'kin ton of green jobby all over the place.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Not tried it (yet) but have seen it done way back in the '60's, and it caught fish.
Also seen the same method used in Greece to catch mullet, except the angler just pulled his weed of the rocks with his hand.

I will give it a go soon as..........
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Never tried it myself but have read about it in a number of 70s angling books.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

That sounds like a technique,the Golden scale fishing club would use..
Dennis M
Roach
Roach

Post by Dennis M »

Used to be a common method here.
Scraping some weed of a rock, rolling it into a ball and on the hook it goes.
Talked to a pensioner this summer who swore by it for barbel fishing back in the days.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

What surprised me about the Greek guy using weed was how large a piece he used, but he was fishing for his dinner so clearly used what was the most successful.
My grandfather explained to me a technique to attract fish, Ive used it several times and its never failed to work.
I think quite a number of the old methods would prove successful if we would use them.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Lots of old lads used to tell me how good it is, never tried it, they reckoned a baccy tin full of weed lasts all day (wait for it :laughs: )
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I remember reading it in a book, probably Mr Crabtree but can't recall positively!
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

The best day I had was fishing with my mate standing on the weir at Barrow on Soar, we netted 14lb of roach between us.
A cheap days fishing and very effective!!