Smooth hounds and dog fish

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Smooth hounds and dog fish

Post by suffolk si »

Having an impromptu session tomorrow and haven't much idea to be honest, fancied something different whilst these conditions persist. I am just wondering if I will get away with mono or will I need catfish hook lengths materials for the two species above.met a guy in the shop who has been catching a few locally off the pier , smoothies only up to about three or four pound and I fancy a go after them, any other advice ( baits rigs etc)much appreciatedπŸ‘
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Smooth hounds and dog fish

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Just mono or flurocarbon around 0.4mm will be fine.

Avoid using anything soft it will tangle.

Peeler is always favourite for the smoothie, squid or mackerel for the doggies.

I would go for a 2/0 pennel on a pulley rig, if you need to cast any distance, as the lead will protect the bait on impact. If you are only a few yards out a running rig will be ok.

Don't fish the line tight to the rod, let it bow in the tide and watch for drop backs.

If there are any chance of a decent smoothy, then don't leave you rod or at least make sure the clutch can take line from the rest, a decent smoothy can easily pull a rod in.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Cheers Duncan, not done much sea fishing locally,looking forward to it whilst waiting for lakes and rivers sort themselves out, was gonna go with mackerel squid and crab.may get a bonus bass tooπŸ‘
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

suffolk si wrote: ↑Fri Aug 03 2018 20:09 -
Cheers Duncan, not done much sea fishing locally,looking forward to it whilst waiting for lakes and rivers sort themselves out, was gonna go with mackerel squid and crab.may get a bonus bass tooπŸ‘
I always found the best bass bait off the shore was a huge lugworm bait, 4 or 5 big worms on a pennel.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Would you go lugworm over crab ? Also will smoothies take lug? Only ever had bass in estuaries before, never targeted them in the sea "proper"
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

suffolk si wrote: ↑Fri Aug 03 2018 20:43 -
Would you go lugworm over crab ? Also will smoothies take lug? Only ever had bass in estuaries before, never targeted them in the sea "proper"
If you take the east Anglian coast as a whole the predominant food is lug, so most things will eat it. But generally the hounds get caught on crab or fish baits.

Take both if you can, the hounds are notoriously nomadic, even 24 hours can make a difference to their location. Lug will always get you a bite or two. Take some smaller hooks down to a size 4, and some 12lv line, if you aren't getting any action scale down and try close in for flatties and smaller species to get a bite or two.

We are on neaps at the moment so around and in the river could be quite good :wink:
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

suffolk si wrote: ↑Fri Aug 03 2018 20:43 -
There you go Simon.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment ... -1-5637806
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Cheers duncanπŸ‘will see how it goes this evening , a few small ones will do
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Down here when the Smoothies come inshore they are usually pupping.
The problem with this is that they are often followed around by tope that are taking the pups but they will often eat a bait if it takes their fancy. Most are lost during their first run as leaders are normally mono or flouro but some have been landed (beached) to over 60lb.
The must have bait for everyone is hermit crab, but a biggish hardback will do just as well, the pulley rig being the standard.
Personally I like prawns for bait, I kneel or sit and fish very shallow ie; 10" on a simple link ledger and Avon rod during an evening flood, gets me bass, the odd. Mullet and small wrasse, just fun fishing but enjoyable all the same.
Sometimes I use a bread feeder, simply because it can catch bass and mullet without the problems of a sea bait.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

suffolk si wrote: ↑Sat Aug 04 2018 08:22 -
Cheers duncanπŸ‘will see how it goes this evening , a few small ones will do
problem with dogfish is trying NOT to catch them---they will eat anything.

Nice with a few chips :thumbs:
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

I have read they can be a pain Kev, not sure how to catch the smoothies without getting the dogfish though? Would rather be after barbel! This bloody weather has to change soon... Doesn't it?😀
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

As a general rule, if the doggies arrive, you move.
Staying is a receipe for doggie mayhem, mind you as Kev says they are nice fried (skinned* and chunked) being the original Rock Salmon before the chippies started using that horrible Thai Catfish.
Doggies can also be used immediately for long range strip baits or the tail ends retained for....... :wink:

Me, Im doing the liqui bread feeder, if nothing else the crabs usually leave it long enough for something with fins to find it!
I haven't fished in the fresh since March even though I own my own small lake and wont until the temps return to normal and more importatly stay there for longer than a couple of weeks.

* use a stanley knife to make 5or6 x 1/8" deep cuts laterally to strip skin cleanly, holding the pulling end in pliers or a damp cloth :thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus