Ronnie and his mates.

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Ronnie and his mates.

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

There's the Ronnie rig, then there's the KD rig, the spinner rig the blowback rig with every combination of hook patterns, hooklink materials and leads etc etc and so on and so forth! :dizzy:
After watching some korda underwater videos where Danny Fairbrass changed rig after rig as carp after carp were "doing him", he then went back to one of the 1st rigs and promptly hooked a loverly big fish.
Now I appreciate the importance of good rig mechanics....to a point but watching that made me think that the most important thing going was how the fish actually takes the bait and that they "av it!"
For sure we want tangle proof rigs that can fish baits in various ways like over weed but is it now a case of anglers really over thinking things.
For years I used a basic knotless knot on a coated braid but as I have found a bit more interest in carp and with a impending trip to France I started to wonder???

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Re: Ronnie and his mates.

Post by Cyprio »

Don't over think it keep it simple, most effective rig I use is a blow back rig like the one below.
Knot less knot, no line aligner needed.
Weighted hook length (so it lays flat on its own) with braid stripped either close to or a little more.
If you use a pop up you can fold one around the braid.
Sharp hooks are a must.
Had good runs with this method with majority anchoring in inside the lower lip.
If you use a long hair like the one below you may want to crimp a weight to the hair if you get bothered by
The crays or silver fish, as their nibbling away at the boiles could tangle it up..
image.jpeg
Wouldn't use Ronnie rig again, made some tried it, thankfully only lower doubles, that rig had a habit of getting
Caught in the net. Still attached to the fish. With a larger fish this could cause them to rip the hook out or their mouth.
Some French lakes have banned the use of mounting swivels on to hooks.
:thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy Carpenter
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Most rigs are just the products of overactive imaginations and re-inventing the wheel.

For a critically balanced bait I like the KD with the counterweight (if needed) on the hair between hook eye and bait. 99% of everything else is covered by bog standard hair rigs and pop ups!

I'd feel a right mug if I thought a fish was mugging me off by sussing out the mechanics of a rig :roll:

Edit as an afterthought.

I was using the kd myself with the weight on the hair to keep the hook flat on the deck years before it was brought to the attention of the general angling masses.

I can claim to inventing it for myself, without even thinking about it as anything special. So it's the BW rig :roll:
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

:thumbs:
Totally agree Bob.
When the wheel gets reinvented plastered on social media that their idol has the ultimate rig,
They can't wait to find out what it is. Then when the manufacturer has high stocks it gets revealed
For instant profit. I think AD even sell kit forms of some rigs guaranteeing £100 every five sold :mad:
I feel hook link materials have been improved with their help.
It's a confidence thing, if your happy it will present cleanly all the time, then give them something worthwhile
To pick up ==happy days :thumbs:

Andy
Andy Carpenter
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Aug 19 2018 18:16 -
Most rigs are just the products of overactive imaginations and re-inventing the wheel.

For a critically balanced bait I like the KD with the counterweight (if needed) on the hair between hook eye and bait. 99% of everything else is covered by bog standard hair rigs and pop ups!

I'd feel a right mug if I thought a fish was mugging me off by sussing out the mechanics of a rig :roll:

Edit as an afterthought.

I was using the kd myself with the weight on the hair to keep the hook flat on the deck years before it was brought to the attention of the general angling masses.

I can claim to inventing it for myself, without even thinking about it as anything special. So it's the BW rig :roll:
"I'd feel a right mug if I thought a fish was mugging me off by sussing out the mechanics of a rig :roll:"

I think that pretty much my point Bob, its not the mechanics of the rig that's failing its more that its how the fish takes the bait and moves away, if the fishes mouth is open as the hooklink tightens then you have "a chance" of hooking it, if the mouth is closed, you will hook it most times.
If you watch the korda videos as I'm sure you have, you see a fish suck a bait in, then as they moves away their mouths open and close filtering what they have, as the mouths open and close your chances of hooking them go up and down.
If you can get a fish to suck the bait in and move confidently away towards its next treat you have a good chance rather than simply backing off as often shown in the videos when the fish is missed. I think tight baiting patterns do not help the angler.
I'm all for fishing well contracted and well thought out rigs but none of them can or will ever get over the fact that sometimes the fishes mouth is open.

Cheers ALan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

I haven’t caught a carp for over ten years but I think a lot of it is due to fishing over these tight baited spots never seemed to have a problem fishing over spread out boilies. Seems to me for the reason above they pick the bait up and move off. Sharp hook job done. My carp fishing was a world apart from what these guys are up to now though.
The popularity of the zig rig these days makes me laugh we were using them as kids and we didn’t have fox/Korda telling us to. Zig magnet wtf 😄