Tench waters in Lincoln?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Antony
Chub
Chub

Tench waters in Lincoln?

Post by Antony »

Do any of you know of anywhere in Lincoln that hold a good head of tench (day ticket) wise ? There’s something special about tench fishing in the margins in spring/early summer don’t you think ?
Moving to Lincoln was the best thing I ever did 👍
And finding Pikers-Pit was the second 👌
Going fishing ? Don’t forget ya camera!!
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Re: Tench waters in Lincoln?

Post by Steve D »

If your not fussed about targeting big tench the Drains and Rivers are always worth a look, 3 to 5lb is the average stamp.
Theres one or two phoneys round here ..
Rosemary
Chub
Chub

Post by Rosemary »

I know little about Lincoln water never seem to get out that way for my fishing. What I do know is that you are spot on about tench fishing early in the season.There is something extra special about tench fishing,beats carp fishing any day.Carp anglers have built some sort of mystery about carp but they are not to difficult to catch.
You may not be aware of it but there is a strict policy in the forum about naming waters,dont know if that applies to pike water only.No doubt someone will be along soon with the answer.
Just old and knackered.
Antony
Chub
Chub

Post by Antony »

Thanks Steve I will have a look at the fossdyke canal which is only a couple of miles from here.
Thanks Rosemary,yes you are right about tench fishing being extra special,especially on a mist covered lily pond at daybreak where the only noise you hear is a dawn chorus in the surrounding countryside ❤️
Rosemary
Chub
Chub

Post by Rosemary »

Antony wrote: Sun Mar 03 2019 22:22 -
Thanks Steve I will have a look at the fossdyke canal which is only a couple of miles from here.
Thanks Rosemary,yes you are right about tench fishing being extra special,especially on a mist covered lily pond at daybreak where the only noise you hear is a dawn chorus in the surrounding countryside ❤️
I tench fish at a beautiful lake in Oxfordshire that can only be fished by boat. The early morning mist and the occasional plop out in the lake are just magic. Do you ever notice the stream of tiny bubbles breaking the surface that show that the tench are just waiting for you. I still use my old greenheart rod and a four inch wooden centre pin reel. Six pound monofilament line with a size 8 barbless hook tied straight to line. Couple of loaves soaked in water is the ground bait that we use with a good pinch of bread on the hook.I can almost feel the excitement and anticipation now.
Just old and knackered.
Antony
Chub
Chub

Post by Antony »

Can I come next time pleeeeease 😍Sounds perfect Rosie,I helped put up a marquee at Packington Hall years ago and I sat watching a couple of men fishing on a punt catching tench after tench with exactly the same set up as you just mentioned.I could have watched them all morning,it looked so relaxing and peaceful
Rosemary
Chub
Chub

Post by Rosemary »

I know the lake at Packington Hall very well as the hall is only about 15 minutes walk from where I live. It wouldn't surprise me if that lake held record weights of most fresh water fish. Caught tench there myself at around the 9lb size but that was about 30 years ago. They banned ground bait because some anglers left the boats in a filthy condition. I also had a perch about the 4lb mark from under the staging. There are only four boats on the lake and that's nothing for a lake of that size. The staff are allowed to fish from the bank so get yourself a job there. My father in law was gamekeeper at Packington.I don't know what the situation is there now but it was owned by Lord Dugdale who let it out to suitable people.
Just old and knackered.
Antony
Chub
Chub

Post by Antony »

You should write a book Rosemary,every thing you write is gripping and your sense of humour is second to non 😊
Bardney boy
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Bardney boy »

I reckon any large body of water in the Lincoln area be It lake, pit,pond drain or river will have what you need swimming around in its waters.