Estuaries

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Estuaries

Post by spincityfan »

Sorry if this has been covered on here before but we are going away to Devon in May and our apartment backs on to an estuary, around 1 1/2 to 2 miles from the sea.

If I fished this using sea tactics for flatfish etc would it be classed as closed season fishing? How far up a river does the closed season apply? I'm guessing being this close to the sea there wont be any coarse fish.
Introducing the worlds worst Barbel Angler,

Mr Ash Shaw
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: Estuaries

Post by suffolk si »

I’ve done a bit on the teign and exe estuary, had a go float fishing for mullet,bass and the odd pollock around structure and had a few(couldn’t tempt the mullet though as they are cagey as hell!) but that was literally a few hundred yards from the sea but don’t see why it would be much different a bit further up. Wouldn’t think you’d go far wrong fishing lug, peeler crab or small pieces of fish on the bottom for several species or having a lure rod handy for a go at the bass👍 I think as long as it’s salt water you are fine legally
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

Thanks, I was planning on fishing the bottom for the flat fish so will probably be using lug and peeler and see what come along. I'm a bit dubious about using a lure rod as the river has salmon and sea trout and wouldn't want to be accused of poaching them!

Mr Ash Shaw
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Fish for whatever you fancy.
1.5m isn't far from the open sea and fish will be there if there is an opportunity of a meal.
If you catch any migratory species they will be classed as 'by accident' and as long as you return them its not a problem.
If you want to keep any seatrout ensure you have the correct licence and the method you use is not illegal eg; in some regions cereal based baits are banned, lures and naturals are not. All salmon must be returned however caught.
Normal float tactics and bread will catch mullet, probably the best pound for pound fighting fish that swims in our waters. If you want to try comeback as there is a special method of baiting the hook that outfishes anything we use.
Fish the flood (incoming tide) at dusk especially if a spring tide (full moon) is imminent.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

Thanks Mike, that clears it up.

I may take a float rod as well just in case I see any mullet, do you completely bury the hook in the bread? Think I saw Matt Hayes doing that on the telly

Mr Ash Shaw
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

spincityfan wrote: Mon Mar 18 2019 20:48 -
Thanks Mike, that clears it up.

I may take a float rod as well just in case I see any mullet, do you completely bury the hook in the bread? Think I saw Matt Hayes doing that on the telly

The most successful method of baiting the hook is the bread 'parcel' devised by the Mullet Club.
Take oblong piece, lay the hook across one end, fold the bread over the hook, seal the edges by pressing tight so the hook is totally buried but not hooked into the bread.
Either a cage feeder with dry crumb or lay-on or drift with a stick style float, a small shot near size 10-12 hook, white bread plus a really smooth drag (Ive caught bonefish and the equivalent sized mullet runs as far and fights harder :thumbs: ).
Beware, Bass like bread but regs say only 1 keeper/day, bread feeder is my most successful method, biggest Bass locally on bread went 9.5lb.

Best of all crabs dont like bread!
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

Thanks Mike, some top tips!

If I get a Bass I will put him back anyway, my cooking skills wouldn't do it any justice!

Mr Ash Shaw