Trout Fly Set up?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
royboy
Chub
Chub

Trout Fly Set up?

Post by royboy »

I have a Hardy Favourite 10`6" 7/8 weight fly rod .
Wondering whether an Abu Diplomat 178 reel would be a good fit for it ?
I`m not too well up on the fly fishing side of things ........
Pat
spittlebug
Perch
Perch

Re: Trout Fly Set up?

Post by spittlebug »

Hi, if it holds good bit of backing (so arbor is not too small, causing tight loops in line) + 7 or 8 Floating Fly Line.
Worth a try.
Most are big arbor reels today. Buy a cheap one.
Most are overrated capacity wise.
I like thick backing braid, like for Salmon Reels, about 50yds if poss.
If does get used, better to handle, lot less chance of tangles when on deck (thin stuff can be a nightmare).

Lots have bought this Reel & other similar ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-MACHINED ... FWi2FrLelA

By looks at size's & my Reels (different thou), 7/8 might be OK with a WF7F on it.
I have bought smaller ones in above link, they are very good, came really really fast as well.

Other thing get std 30ft head lines, IMO don't get long bellied ones.

Bob
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Thanks Bob for the tips ............

I have the chance to get the ABU Diplomat 178 which is a similar vintage to the Hardy rod .

Has anyone got or used this reel ?
Want to make sure its suitable for the rod .
Pat
spittlebug
Perch
Perch

Post by spittlebug »

Hi, found this.

"The Diplomats were initially produced as the Diplomat 156 and the Diplomat 178 models from 1977 until 1988. Their unusual name carried the qudos of the previously existing and very successful up-market range of fishing rods. They had an open frame construction and due also to their aluminium construction were very light. For the first time we see each model designated fro a specific line weight. ie the Diplomat 156 was 5/6 wt while the Diplomat 178 was intended for 7/8 wt. Both could carry 50m of backing line. The spool and frame finish was anodized with a dull black finish being introduced for the Diplomat 178"

http://www.realsreels.com/reels/fly/default.html

I have a Hardy Soveriegn Reel 7/8, never used it for years, now do a bit of River Fishing, put a WF4F & it suits it well.

Cheers Bob
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Cheers , If I get it cheap enough I`ll give it a go ......... :thumbs:
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

I have one . Not sure which model i will look it out . Its a small reel though.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Thanks for that ....... Any recommendation on a suitable reel of a similar vintage to the rod ?
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

Rim fly. ❓

FEROX 85 GROUP
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

DSC_1024.JPG
DSC_1025.JPG
DSC_1026.JPG
As I said its a small reel I used it for small river trout. The larger size should be fine for your rod though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FEROX 85 GROUP
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Your rod was/is a nice example of the early carbon rods Hardy's produced.
With that length and being a 7/8 you could use it for sea trout and medium salmon, trout, pike or even bass.
I would go for a cheapo modern large arbour reel rather than an the ABU old school design, unless you've already bought it!

The Barrio SLX is a very decent WF line which doesn't cost the earth and goes out well with a biggish fly on the end.
If you want to get down a bit a front section of an old Intermediate line chopped and re-welded makes up into a loaded leader.
Amnesia makes up into good tippet/leaders when your first getting back into the swing of it all.

If your new to fluff chucking, don't worry its not all myth and mystery (and expensive coaching) that they like to make us think. Many of the best casters are completely self taught.

And if you want a fun day Orvis give free tuition courses. :thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

I can`t find any information on the rod . It seems to be rare enough .
The markings are " HARDY FAVOURITE GRAPHITE FLY "FT" 10 1/2` , 7/8 "`
And its a 2 pc !
I have a Rimfly on the rod at the moment .

The Diplomat is for sale locally but I haven`t actually seen it in person yet .
Just don`t want to make a 40mile round trip if its not suitable !

I like to match my gear up , for instance my Hooper tench float rod is paired with an Alcocks Record centrepin or a Mitchell 300s , depending on the swim .
Was hoping to do likewise with the fly rod ..
fergie68
Zander
Zander

Post by fergie68 »

I said rim fly this morning but there was a better version called the gear fly. If you could find a nice one of them I think it would suit your rod.
The diplomat fly reels were different to other fly reels of the time well certainly ones my friends had. It was silent when reeling in and the drag was quiet and didn't make that sort of clicking sound fly reels are meant to make.
I got it as a Xmas present when I was a kid. My dad knew a guy who worked in the Abu factory in clydebank so i some times ended up with tackle way beyond what a kid doing a milk run could afford. Wish I'd looked after more of it the way I have the diplomat.

FEROX 85 GROUP
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Wish I'd looked after more of it the way I have the diplomat.

Yeah , me too .
I had a 9`split cane trout fly rod made by John Enright of Castleconnell in the mid 70s .
Didn`t appreciate it at all ....... left it leaning against the wall in the garage one winter ,
It took on a set and was eventually lost in the mists of time !
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Is there a number on the rod, it will usually be immediately above the handle, it will probably start with F/V and will help dating it accurately.

Graphite Favourite Trout 7'6" - 9'6" produced in 1982 & 1983 (NB some rods had additional lengths added)
Made from Carbon fibre blanks.
At that time blanks were being produced by a joint venture between Hardy's and Fisher (USA) but cannot ref. the Favourite blank accurately.
The Favourite range included Salmon fly, Spinning and Carp.

Hardy St George, St. John, St. Andrew, LRH Lightweight, Princess, Sunbeam are all reels of the same period.

Hope this helps.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Exact writing on the rod is

"7/8"
" HARDY FAVOURITE "FT"
"GRAPHITE FLY "
10 1/2` ,

Number on the rod just above the cork is "IED155018" , if thats of any help .
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

royboy wrote: Thu Mar 21 2019 14:26 -
Exact writing on the rod is

"7/8"
" HARDY FAVOURITE "FT"
"GRAPHITE FLY "
10 1/2` ,

Number on the rod just above the cork is "IED155018" , if thats of any help .

Okay this is what I can tell you and assuming all your letter are clearly identifiable.
The number 1 before the letters didn't start until 1986 when rod numbers started to repeat themselves.
The first letter represents the month - E=May
The second letter represents the year - / D didn't appear until 1996

From the info available and the mix of numbering and odd year date and its length your rod is clearly not a normal Favourite
At 10'6" it clearly doesnt meet the standard lengths the original Graphite Favourite Rods were produce in.
Therefore its a safe quess it was just a short production run, maybe even a trial rod produced from another/similar blank.
Its precise history is open to question but it is certainly a Hardy and therefore has value, especially to a collector of Favourite rods.

As for lining it my advice is to try it with a whole range various #8weights and tapers eg; my 8WT JJ Sea Trout Special was hopeless with an #8 WF Sewincaster but cast like a rocket with an #8 WF Orvis Bankshot (which is an #8.5).

FYI
Fly rods are not built to line weights, they are produced then tested with a range of lines and graded according to which line makes them perform best.
Fly lines are not precise instruments their weights can be inconsistent between batches and production years.
Beware some lines have been in shops for years, one I purchased online the manufacturers traced via its bar code, it proved to be over ten years old, but I did obtain a full refund.
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

You`re a mine of information Mike , Cheers .

Not looking to sell ... Dabbled a little bit with fly fishing over the years , but I never felt comfortable casting the various rods I had .
The minute I put this rod together it felt just right !
Maybe its just the extra length thats doing it?
Would like to put a suitable reel of similar vintage on it .
Last edited by royboy on Fri Mar 22 2019 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

Had a look at an Abu Diplomat 178 , but ye were right lads it is a bit small .
Will keep an eye on ebay for some other model .
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

royboy wrote: Fri Mar 22 2019 14:13 -
You`re a mine of information Mike , Cheers .

Not looking to sell ... Dabbled a little bit with fly fishing over the years , but I never felt comfortable casting the various rods I had .
The minute I put this rod together it felt just right !
Maybe its just the extra length thats doing it?
Would like to put a suitable reel of similar vintage on it .

A reel of similar vintage....mmmm
What you actually want a reel +line) that will balance the rod and the same point as your hand on the foregrip if your planning to use it.
I have an unused late '80's Hardy made for Orvis Battenkill 7/8 disc drag reel, still in its original sleeve, box and sheepskin reel case (but it would be 3figs.).
royboy
Chub
Chub

Post by royboy »

I picked up a couple of reels on ebay for this rod ........
A Pfleuger President 7/8 , and a cheaper wide arbour Sonik 7/8 .
I haven`t fished with them yet but I have cast them on the lawn .

My preference is for the Pfleuger , feels right on the rod , looks good and seems big enough for large rainbows and pike .
The Sonik looks ok as well and will do as a back up.

Thanks for all the advice .
Rgds , Pat