New Float Rod Anyone?

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

New Float Rod Anyone?

Post by Monts »

I see Barder is now producing carbon rods, that may irk the "trads".

http://www.barder-rod.co.uk/carbon%20fi ... rices.aspx

I wonder where the blanks come from?
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Re: New Float Rod Anyone?

Post by suffolk si »

£850!!! Wtf
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Liverpool?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

suffolk si wrote: Fri Mar 22 2019 14:36 -
£850!!! Wtf
Don't forget the £50 shipping and insurance.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

davelumb wrote: Fri Mar 22 2019 14:40 -
Liverpool?

I wonder what the mark up is? And how long you have to wait? It used to be around 12 months for a cane rod if he sells them good luck to him as a man has to earn a living. What do you think he pays his monkeys?

And yes Si I thought that too.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Monts wrote: Fri Mar 22 2019 14:55 -
Liverpool?

I wonder what the mark up is? And how long you have to wait? It used to be around 12 months for a cane rod if he sells them good luck to him as a man has to earn a living. What do you think he pays his monkeys?

The 15ft Harrison blank retails at £144 - so there's already a mark up built in to that. Mind you there could be £100ish of cork on a flor grade handle (not sure on current prices and they might buy in bulk). I reckon at least half the total is 'labour' charges.

I guess he knows who his customers are. The same idiots who pay for Hardy's Chinese made stuff! :laughs:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

I was looking as I was interested in the price of his pre-owned cane rods. As I've one hanging about not doing much in near mint condition, with just a light scratch on the ferrule. They are worth much more than I paid brand new. :grin:

As for trotting rods, I'll stick with an old two piece 13-foot Daiwa Powermesh I got from eBay about twelve years ago for £26.00 it was labelled a "Salmon Noodle Rod" whatever that is?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Monts wrote: Fri Mar 22 2019 15:15 -
I was looking as I was interested in the price of his pre-owned cane rods. As I've one hanging about not doing much in near mint condition, with just a light scratch on the ferrule. They are worth much more than I paid brand new. :grin:

As for trotting rods, I'll stick with an old two piece 13-foot Daiwa Powermesh I got from eBay about twelve years ago for £26.00 it was labelled a "Salmon Noodle Rod" whatever that is?
Noodle rods are what they call float rods used for steelhead.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

davelumb wrote: Fri Mar 22 2019 15:22 -

Ahh never knew that :thumbs: ta. It's done alright for Grayling etc and for the price it's a "Steel" :joker:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Monts wrote: Fri Mar 22 2019 15:47 -
davelumb wrote: Fri Mar 22 2019 15:22 -

Ahh never knew that :thumbs: ta. It's done alright for Grayling etc and for the price it's a "Steel" :joker:
Here ya go-> :coat:
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

You’d get a set of lumbys for that .
I know what I’d go for.
Regards
Tom
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

£850!!! Wtf
Cheap as chips Si :laughs: ----I have a carbon rod that cost around £800 some years ago, B&W hexagraph Avon,

I bought it in a job lot of tackle costing £45 :clown:
Nobby C
Chub
Chub

Post by Nobby C »

Give you £50 for it.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

I’ll give ya fifty quid for it Kev, can you throw in that nice centrepin of yours too?🤣
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

suffolk si wrote: Fri Mar 22 2019 22:34 -
I’ll give ya fifty quid for it Kev, can you throw in that nice centrepin of yours too?🤣
fetching around £695 now Si---no bag with it so I'll knock 20 quid off :wink:

and ya can keep your eyes off that 'pin as well :laughs:
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Mar 22 2019 22:12 -
£850!!! Wtf
Cheap as chips Si :laughs: ----I have a carbon rod that cost around £800 some years ago, B&W hexagraph Avon,

Mate of mine, has a pair of 12ft 2 2 3/4, hexagraphs, that were prototypes for a range or rods BW worked on with John Watson. From what understand they never made it to a salable product as the rrp would have been crazy money.

Beautiful set of rods though, often wondered what they would be worth to the right person.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Sat Mar 23 2019 09:23 -
Kev Berry wrote: Fri Mar 22 2019 22:12 -
£850!!! Wtf

Mate of mine, has a pair of 12ft 2 2 3/4, hexagraphs, that were prototypes for a range or rods BW worked on with John Watson. From what understand they never made it to a salable product as the rrp would have been crazy money.

Beautiful set of rods though, often wondered what they would be worth to the right person.
New Hexagraphs are about £1300 now
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

davelumb wrote: Fri Mar 22 2019 15:05 -
Liverpool?

The 15ft Harrison blank retails at £144 - so there's already a mark up built in to that. Mind you there could be £100ish of cork on a flor grade handle (not sure on current prices and they might buy in bulk). I reckon at least half the total is 'labour' charges.

I guess he knows who his customers are. The same idiots who pay for Hardy's Chinese made stuff! :laughs:
yes, Hardy coarse rods... :roll:
Oh, but they were designed by John Bailey.!!. :eek: .. :w****r:
I have a 13ft Marksman Specimen feeder rod, probably sold for about £350 new (I did'nt pay for it). Horrible thing, heavy and it's like it's got a hinge in it about half way up. I never use it. You could probably get a nicer rod from Dragon Carp or NGT for £29.95...
Marcraft are for queers.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

BillCollins wrote: Sat Mar 23 2019 10:23 -
Liverpool?

I have a 13ft Marksman Specimen feeder rod, probably sold for about £350 new (I did'nt pay for it). Horrible thing, heavy and it's like it's got a hinge in it about half way up. I never use it. You could probably get a nicer rod from Dragon Carp or NGT for £29.95...
:thumbs:
john evans
Barbel
Barbel

Post by john evans »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Mar 22 2019 23:11 -

no bag??? who the feck sells rods these days wi no bags? :roll: :roll:
john evans
Barbel
Barbel

Post by john evans »

BillCollins wrote: Sat Mar 23 2019 10:23 -
Liverpool?

bill i had same hardy rod n sold it few months later,,stick to my old shimmy technium or daiwa spectron feeders
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

john evans wrote: Thu Mar 28 2019 19:52 -
Kev Berry wrote: Fri Mar 22 2019 23:11 -

no bag??? who the feck sells rods these days wi no bags? :roll: :roll:
Bought in a job lot of rods---some had bags some didn't---a new rod bag for one of these is £25---waste of money as nowadays everyone leaves their rods set up