Scottish north and west coast.

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Scottish north and west coast.

Post by Bob Watson »

Myself and a mate are doing a motorcycle tour of scotland (NC500) in early May, We're packing a 9ft travel rod each and will be having a dabble on one or two evenings whilst camping.

We don't want to be toting bait about with us, so it looks like lures and shore picked mussels etc.

Any tips on best lures, jigs etc for the north and west coast?

TA!!
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Re: Scottish north and west coast.

Post by Mattjb »

Can't help you with that area but I'd definately take some sabiki rigs( small feathers). They are very good for catching smaller species for bait though I've had mackerel and pollock on them as well. Use a lightish lead and jig them along.
I had a dabble for bass last summer and found 3" kopyto shads effective fished with a jighead .
Small rubber sandeels like the savage gear sandeel slug are good fished dropshot style for several species, I've had pollock, wrasse and macks on those.
None of this might be suitable for where you are going but might give you some ideas and won't take up much room.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Mate of mine did similar last year---feathers for mackerel and coalies and root about the rocks for other bait. He caught loads of different fish.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

I've also used isome worms or the Berkeley equivalent either on small jig heads for all sorts of species or on a hook dragged along a sandy bed behind a spoon for flatties so could be worth taking a packet or two of those
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Thanks for the replies.

Pretty much what I had in mind,,,,

,,,,Henry Gilbey face!!!!
Antony
Chub
Chub

Post by Antony »

Bob, take a couple of Dexter Wedges too mate.They are great for all the other fish mentioned and you can cast out much farther out too 😎
Going fishing ? Don’t forget ya camera!!
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Antony wrote: Mon May 06 2019 18:57 -
Bob, take a couple of Dexter Wedges too mate.They are great for all the other fish mentioned and you can cast out much farther out too 😎

Yeah, Dexter wedge or 'one eyed Jack' lures (if they're still around) are good for this type of exploring round the rocks fishing, and cast like a bullet if you find you need some distance. I have a week on Skye booked later in the summer, cottage literally on the coast, fishing out the garden in the morning, I'm a bit excited!
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Never actually wet a line :roll:

But thanks anyway chaps!