Eels in keepnets

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Eels in keepnets

Post by jonsykes »

Is it against EA laws to keep Eels in a keepnet? I’m aware that local bye-laws may come into it - I’m in Yorkshire (classed as northeast region). I’ve had a look on the EA website - but ,as usual with any government source of information, it’s not easy to follow.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Eels in keepnets

Post by Mike J »

Who would want to do something so daft?
Just means you'd have to burn the net afterwards, unless it was a friends net you'd borrowed.

:boing:

Offhand Id say as they are a protected species - zero retention unless authorised,
Next time I see our Enforcement Team I will get you the definitive answer.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

Cheers Mike
jonsykes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by jonsykes »

The reason I ask is that someone posted a pic of their days catch from a local river & there was Eels among them (in a keepnet). I informed him I thought it was illegal - but then started checking if I was right - before the inevitable fallout.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Found this on AT 's web site.
Don't know how current it is.
image.jpeg

Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy Carpenter
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

They're certainly retained in keepnets in matches and I've fished in matches with an EA bailiff present at the weigh in and nothing was said about it.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

I couldnt find any national bylaws that stop you keeping eels in a keepnet, there certainly is some regional bylaws that cover eels, but none about retention that i can see.
David.F.Scobie
Perch
Perch

Post by David.F.Scobie »

By the rule of law here in NI the match guys can’t put them in Keepnets and the don’t count to the weight your meant to put them back into the water after you unhook them. The match fellas I fish with were doing epic amounts of complaining about this it was something they were very emotional about.

Personally if I catch Eels when I'm out fishing they go in the keepnet with the rest of the days catch I'm not a match angler anymore and saying as I've never been asked for a licence or permit on the places I fish it's unlikely I'll be in the poo for doing this, the only time in my life of fishing on places like the Erne system I've seen bailiffs a tiny handful of times and these times were at launches round about the may fly hatch so the fella was checking the Troutists, one occasion he waived at me as he went past on his nice big shiny boat it's clear I was fishing for Pike so clearly not worth his time checking.
Through adversity to the stars

YouTube Channel:-
https://www.youtube.com/c/DavidScobie

David Scobie Angling Adventures:-https://www.facebook.com/DFSAngling/
Rosemary
Chub
Chub

Post by Rosemary »

Except during match fishing I don't know why people would want to use keep nets, horrible things. I have seen anglers in Norfolk having to ask for assistance to lift a net out of the water, the fish ac the bottom of the net may not survive . The main purpose of keep nets is to enable the angler to tip the fish out on the bank for photographs a big white hunter. It is also not true that returning fish to the water promptly ruins the swim. I am 85 and tot used a keep net since I was about ten and I still catch fish.
Just old and knackered.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Nothing wrong with keepnets if used sensibly, for eels or anything else. Nothing wrong with wanting to photograph your catch for future memories either.

I have to wonder why some people fish in the first place at times. John Bailey is often quoted as being angling's worst enemy with his sanctimonious preaching about fish 'conservation'. The best way to preserve fish is to ban angling and I don't suppose this forum's members would want that.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Jul 13 2019 14:39 -
Nothing wrong with keepnets if used sensibly, for eels or anything else. Nothing wrong with wanting to photograph your catch for future memories either.

I have to wonder why some people fish in the first place at times. John Bailey is often quoted as being angling's worst enemy with his sanctimonious preaching about fish 'conservation'. The best way to preserve fish is to ban angling and I don't suppose this forum's members would want that.
Did you see John Bailey featured in mr crabtree in the latest Catchcult? :laughs:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

GAVIN H wrote: Sat Jul 13 2019 15:20 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Jul 13 2019 14:39 -

Did you see John Bailey featured in mr crabtree in the latest Catchcult? :laughs:
Yes. Nail on head! :laughs:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!