The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Flourocarbon

Post by Andytheammer »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Jun 29 2019 14:17 -
Lures like these:
Christ Chris I’ve been putting it off for a while but now think I need an eye test! :laughs: :thumbs:
Andy Sewell
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Andytheammer wrote: Sat Jun 29 2019 16:39 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Jun 29 2019 14:17 -
Lures like these:
Christ Chris I’ve been putting it off for a while but now think I need an eye test! :laughs: :thumbs:
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I don't let the wire police bother me when fishing single hook lures for perch, chub etc.

I happily use mono or fluro, really don't think it matters, fluro is not invisible in water, it looks like a washing line after being static for a while, and while working a lure, well????

In the case of bite offs, it's a single hook, which we don't seem to worry about with other species!

I did buy some fluro for my barbel fishing on low clear rivers (I know contradicting myself) cheap and thin for its' stated BS and supple.

https://issuu.com/alansawyers/docs/at_c ... 7-finalweb

Page 96/97
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Chris
Thinnest wire I have ever found .011"dia. 29lb BS. Prindle-Fabbri but it is stiff.
If I wanted smaller I would try deconstucting braided wire.

Small fish do not eat they mouth/nip everything and anytihing they haven't seen before, especially if it is moving/jiggled.
Smallest fish I have ever caught - under 1" bare gold size 16, Jiggling for bait, a gold hook will catch most fry,
Smallest fly I use size 18 - for Rudd, smallest fish caught 1.5" apx. hooked while false casting!
To dress a small hook superglue with white fibreglass strands stripped from lamp-holder wire fireproof insulation.

On here and online you will find lots of info on how to rig circles on lures, also circles dont snag weed as bad as J hooks.
Trailing and breakaway rigs are better for turn away species, tailers for snappers and infront for munchers.

Dave,
Source of smallest (#14) circle hooks; https://www.uk-hooks.com/details.php?selected=363 Sorry but you will have to buy them! :cry:
If you want smaller modify a nymph hook, buy from fly fishing sites.

:shake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mike J wrote: Sun Jun 30 2019 10:53 -
Chris
Thinnest wire I have ever found .011"dia. 29lb BS. Prindle-Fabbri but it is stiff.

Small fish do not eat they mouth/nip everything and anytihing they haven't seen before, especially if it is moving/jiggled.
Smallest fish I have ever caught - under 1" bare gold size 16, Jiggling for bait, a gold hook will catch most fry,
Smallest fly I use size 18 - for Rudd, smallest fish caught 1.5" apx. hooked while false casting!
To dress a small hook superglue with white fibreglass strands stripped from lamp-holder wire fireproof insulation.

On here and online you will find lots of info on how to rig circles on lures, also circles dont snag weed as bad as J hooks.
Trailing and breakaway rigs are better for turn away species, tailers for snappers and infront for munchers.

Dave,
Source of smallest (#14) circle hooks; https://www.uk-hooks.com/details.php?selected=363 Sorry but you will have to buy them! :cry:

Thanks for the input Mike, some food for thought there.

I'm afraid you're quite mistaken in your contention that small species nip and mouth baits though. Small species take live prey exactly as their bigger cousins do. A bullhead for instance will put a fish almost half its size out of sight quicker than the blink of an eye. Ounce for ounce they're a more aggressive predator than pike. I kept a mixed riverine tank for quite some time. Those who've been on these boards since their inception may remember me documenting it as I put it together. I kept virtually every kind of species to be found in our streams from brook lamprey to dace. And I regularly fed them live prey, shrimp, water fleas, bloodwork etc. They all gulp live prey instantly to avoid losing the chance. The key is to present any one fish a lure that replicates its live prey.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Bob Watson wrote: Sun Jun 30 2019 10:47 -
I don't let the wire police bother me when fishing single hook lures for perch, chub etc.

I happily use mono or fluro, really don't think it matters, fluro is not invisible in water, it looks like a washing line after being static for a while, and while working a lure, well????

In the case of bite offs, it's a single hook, which we don't seem to worry about with other species!

I did buy some fluro for my barbel fishing on low clear rivers (I know contradicting myself) cheap and thin for its' stated BS and supple.

https://issuu.com/alansawyers/docs/at_c ... 7-finalweb

Page 96/97
Cheers Bob. The flouro has worked well for me, whether it's invisible in water or not, but like you I've used mono quite a bit too. It's more about suppleness than invisibility though.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Chris Hammond wrote: Sun Jun 30 2019 14:39 -
Chris

Dave,

I'm afraid you're quite mistaken in your contention that small species nip and mouth baits though. Small species take live prey exactly as their bigger cousins do. A bullhead for instance will put a fish almost half its size out of sight quicker than the blink of an eye. Ounce for ounce they're a more aggressive predator than pike. I kept a mixed riverine tank for quite some time. Those who've been on these boards since their inception may remember me documenting it as I put it together. I kept virtually every kind of species to be found in our streams from brook lamprey to dace. And I regularly fed them live prey, shrimp, water fleas, bloodwork etc. They all gulp live prey instantly to avoid losing the chance. The key is to present any one fish a lure that replicates its live prey.

Nip, bite, gulp, mouth, who cares?
I just speak from experience having caught small, 2" or less, fish of many species for bait, many hundreds, probably thousands on bare (gold) hooks, or a tiny hook dressed in a bit of tinsel or fibre, if they represented a prey species it supports your last sentence.

I cant imagine me ever fishing for a single mini mini fish whatever the incentive, but I certainly wish you the best of luck.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mike J wrote: Mon Jul 01 2019 08:40 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Sun Jun 30 2019 14:39 -
Chris

Dave,

Nip, bite, gulp, mouth, who cares?
I just speak from experience having caught small, 2" or less, fish of many species for bait, many hundreds, probably thousands on bare (gold) hooks, or a tiny hook dressed in a bit of tinsel or fibre, if they represented a prey species it supports your last sentence.

I cant imagine me ever fishing for a single mini mini fish whatever the incentive, but I certainly wish you the best of luck.
I have a bit of experience of capturing fish too Mike. Often small even when I'm hoping for bigger. :laughs:

I doubt there are many of us old timers that haven't had stunted fish on bare hooks from overstocked ponds etc. I've had a six inch pike from the river too-by design. I saw it in four inches of crystal clear water and put a gold sweetcorn hook in front of it, jigged a little and voila.

You made the point about small fish mouthing baits. I assumed you were putting it up as a reason why I might not catch on tiny lures. i was just pointing out that you were mistaken. I'm not sure either of us really 'cares' about it. Put a grain of sweetcorn in front of tiny roach/rudd etc and you'd be right. They'll nip and pull it about. Put a single live freshwater shrimp in front of them and they'' inhale it in one. A pretty crucial fact if you're trying to catch something small with something small that imitates a live creature.

Re my summer mission of capturing the smallest fish I can on a moving lure: I wasn't expecting it to catch on. :grin:
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Chris Hammond wrote: Mon Jul 01 2019 17:20 -

Re my summer mission of capturing the smallest fish I can on a moving lure: I wasn't expecting it to catch on. :grin:
It already is catching on Chris. Fishing micro baits for alternative species is becoming quite popular at the moment :thumbs:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Mon Jul 01 2019 17:25 -

It already is catching on Chris. Fishing micro baits for alternative species is becoming quite popular at the moment :thumbs:
Trust me to be a yard behind the pace Mark! :eek:
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Chris Hammond wrote: Mon Jul 01 2019 17:26 -

I`ve only dabbled with rudd on a local lake (which ended abruptly this year after the lake got wiped out by cormorants last winter :evil: ), but some of my friends on FB are catching pretty much every uk species on micro lures, from minnows to carp and everything in between :grin:
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Mon Jul 01 2019 17:29 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Mon Jul 01 2019 17:26 -

I`ve only dabbled with rudd on a local lake (which ended abruptly this year after the lake got wiped out by cormorants last winter :evil: ), but some of my friends on FB are catching pretty much every uk species on micro lures, from minnows to carp and everything in between :grin:
What sort of kit are they using Mark? I like a FS reel for the job and I have managed to find a Matrix Tiny, which is as its name suggests. I tried buying another for a mate of mine and they seem to be discontinued. I'd really like to go even smaller if at all possible. Likewise with rods. I've got a couple of fairly lightweight fox drop shotting rods but would be interested in any recommendations you (Or anyone else.) might have?
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

ps Any lure makers you could recommend as well would be appreciated.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Chris Hammond wrote: Mon Jul 01 2019 17:41 -
If youre on Fb join this group mate, you`ll get good info on gear, lures etc...all good lads who know their stuff :thumbs:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/499599687137701/
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Mon Jul 01 2019 17:43 -
If youre on Fb join this group mate, you`ll get good info on gear, lures etc...all good lads who know their stuff :thumbs:

Cheers Mark I'll do that. :thumbs:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

I may have to get with this FB thingy, the way things are going I'll be cast asunder from elsewhere and this will be the only place I can visit. :laughs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Monts wrote: Mon Jul 01 2019 18:38 -

I may have to get with this FB thingy, the way things are going I'll be cast asunder from elsewhere and this will be the only place I can visit. :laughs:
I saw your post on the other forum, made me chuckle mate :grin:
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Sat Jun 29 2019 11:16 -
Dave Horton wrote: Sat Jun 29 2019 11:05 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Sat Jun 29 2019 09:53 -
Can I purchase circle hooks in, for instance, size 14 and 16 Mike?
Hmmm, good question, Hammy?

I had a little dabble at the Perch yesterday and my smallest Circles (size 2).

(Were very prominent compared to my minnow baits face)
Here you go Dave, sizes down to #12 :thumbs:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sakuma-440-C ... EpwzNRrvcg
Thanks Mark!

(Cheers mate face)
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

These are good clips I’ve used them a lot there’s other companies supply them but these ones are very good quality.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/153501637784?c ... gIL6_D_BwE