Tuna and Marlin fishing

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Tuna and Marlin fishing

Post by Mike J »

Anyone interested in some fishing and can drop everything and go the bite is hot!
Fishing just 6miles from port, 130lb tackle and fighting chair only.
Two caught on Sunday and another boat had a triple hook-up and caught all three!

Catch and release only but smaller species can be retained and flown home from Faro
Airport pick-up and accom. by arrangement.

Donation to PP naturally.
Last edited by Mike J on Wed Jul 17 2019 12:04, edited 2 times in total.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Giant Bluefin fishing.

Post by Happy Hayes »

Sounds wonderful Mike
If only I was at that stage of life where I could just drop everything and go .
Regards
Tom
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Giant Bluefin fishing.

Post by Mike J »

Happy Hayes wrote: Tue Jul 16 2019 10:44 -
Sounds wonderful Mike
If only I was at that stage of life where I could just drop everything and go .
Regards
Tom

If your interested there are other opportunities.
After the run ends in two weeks there will be Big Eye, smaller tunas, Dorado and White Marlin, then Blue Marlin from August until mid October.

PM me.

FYI Water temp; 20.5 Air 32C (no clouds expected until October).
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
piker60
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Tuna and Marlin fishing

Post by piker60 »

Was in Lagos for the last few days Mike. Flew back from Faro this evening. I would have been up for it. When swimming the water temps were quite cold though. Not many were swimming but as a guess would say 14 deg C.
"The best argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"
W.Churchill
It doesn't matter who you vote for the government still gets in.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

piker60 wrote: Fri Jul 19 2019 02:47 -
Was in Lagos for the last few days Mike. Flew back from Faro this evening. I would have been up for it. When swimming the water temps were quite cold though. Not many were swimming but as a guess would say 14 deg C.

Ady
You made a big mistake going to the West of Faro, the climate is completely different, wetter, windier and colder, its why the Arabs never settled there but why the English love it?

For anyone planning a visit;
The cold Atlantic current flows East from Cape St Vincent past Lagos and turns South at Faro, the warm African/Mediterranean current flows up from Gibraltar around the Bay of Cadiz and turns South at Faro.
Plankton grows where the hot and cold currents meet, anchovies and sardine gather to feed on the plankton and the predators follow.

The East of Faro has a climate and water temps similar to North Africa, if you want sun, 30km of sand and perhaps some fishing that is where to head for.
If you want to lock up your house you can overwinter in a hotel with the money you will save on heating bills.

Ive had 100F on Christmas Day four years out of eleven, and caught fish of 18&19kgs on one rod traditional bash.

Pic taken pm six days ago.
IMG_20190714_123414_resized_20190716_121329951.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piker60
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker60 »

Mike J wrote: Fri Jul 19 2019 09:52 -
piker60 wrote: Fri Jul 19 2019 02:47 -

Ady
You made a big mistake going to the West of Faro, the climate is completely different, wetter, windier and colder, its why the Arabs never settled there but why the English love it?

For anyone planning a visit;
The cold Atlantic current flows East from Cape St Vincent past Lagos and turns South at Faro, the warm African/Mediterranean current flows up from Gibraltar around the Bay of Cadiz and turns South at Faro.
Plankton grows where the hot and cold currents meet, anchovies and sardine gather to feed on the plankton and the predators follow.

The East of Faro has a climate and water temps similar to North Africa, if you want sun, 30km of sand and perhaps some fishing that is where to head for.
If you want to lock up your house you can overwinter in a hotel with the money you will save on heating bills.

Ive had 100F on Christmas Day four years out of eleven, and caught fish of 18&19kgs on one rod traditional bash.

Pic taken pm six days ago.

IMG_20190714_123414_resized_20190716_121329951.jpg
Just there for a short break with the wife Mike. No fishing involved unfortunately. Thanks for the additional (interesting) information. I would be interested in fishing in future with a decent charter boat for marlin and bluefins. Lagos/Faro was a comfortable climate for me personally. I don't like it too hot. Guess that's why Brits, Germans, Scandinavians and Irish like it there. :thumbs:
"The best argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"
W.Churchill
It doesn't matter who you vote for the government still gets in.
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

Sounds amazing, unlike some who don't have the time, I have plenty. Sadly just not got the funds. If you do something similar next year I would certainly be up for it.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

J-P wrote: Mon Jul 29 2019 04:27 -
Sounds amazing, unlike some who don't have the time, I have plenty. Sadly just not got the funds. If you do something similar next year I would certainly be up for it.

J-P
This year hasnt finished, infact the run of big tuna is only just coming to an end.
White Marlin are next and some have already been seen cruising the surface. Big Blue ladies and the 1% of mayhem they bring follows.
I could get you a spell on deck, a second pair of hands is always welcome, no pay just the boat ride, oh and fresh sushi :grin:
J-P
Roach
Roach

Post by J-P »

Mike J wrote: Mon Jul 29 2019 09:51 -
J-P wrote: Mon Jul 29 2019 04:27 -

J-P
This year hasnt finished, infact the run of big tuna is only just coming to an end.
White Marlin are next and some have already been seen cruising the surface. Big Blue ladies and the 1% of mayhem they bring follows.
I could get you a spell on deck, a second pair of hands is always welcome, no pay just the boat ride, oh and fresh sushi :grin:
Sounds like the perfect life and sashimi happens to be one of my fav foods.
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

Sounds great Mike , which Port do you go from