Pike Flies

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Pike Flies

Post by Monts »

Gents,

Can anyone recommend some Pike flies that get down deep? I was on the river today and had three while my mate on lures had eight. He was fishing shads slow along the bottom. With the rivers still pushing a fair bit, I'm struggling in the main flow as the flies are getting knocked about. I don't like nipping a split shot on the trace as it makes a kink. And heavy metal ends to come away too easy with the constant casting.

Thank you.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Re: Pike Flies

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I assume your using a floating line - maybe consider an intermediate or sinker line or poly leader to help get depth. Weighted flies are an option but can be a pig to cast. I tie my own and add a tungsten bead into them. Maybe so look at clouser minnow -design they get depth.You could add a tungsten bead or two to the wire trace?
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Thanks, it's an intermediate line, but as it's still pushing through it's getting whisked away in the flow. Then upon the retrieve, it seems to be coming up in the water the flie that is. I'll look at the Clouser Minnow and it never occurred to me about adding beads to the trace. :thumbs:
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I make ny own traces from titanium using crimps
I have add two beads to the clip end before crimping thr loop, hopefully to get them to click. If you want really big beads look at solid brass beads used in spinner making.In a current the fly will always rise whereas diving lures will be pushed down. finally be careful as love damaged my fly rods when it got hit by the fly as well as a few hits on the back of the head!
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

I'm pretty adept at koping one in the back of my bonce. :laughs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

If fish deep holes in rivers for sea trout at night.
For me is essential for the fly runs horizontal not at an upward facing angle.
When I trialed weighted fly/lure during daylight jn a clear river it still didnt run level, even with a short wire leader attached.
The answer came from another angler, a weighted leader. You have to make your own as they are not available in the shops, tho some specialsts will make them for you.

Buy a T17 salmon leader and cut into 5,7,10ft lengths and weld your own loops on each end.

:thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
dave aylett
Perch
Perch

Post by dave aylett »

Try using a clip on cherushska ( best check the spelling lol) weight that goes between the fly and the trace.😉
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Forget about these. Have used them in the past to use pikeflies on a spinning rod!
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Thanks gents I think this may be something to try next season now. The rivers yet again are in the fields, and with this weekends and the projected rainfall for the next couple of weeks it could be all over. I reckon a couple of my rivers will both break record measured heights in the next couple of days.
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

Alas same here everyone on flood warning etc. Look forward to when everything returns to normal. Anyway bad weather means a great opportunity to tie some pike flies !
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

You can slide tungsten cones down your leader before you attach it. Depending on what clips you use you can tie dumbell eyes onto a fastach clip and use that between the clip on your wire and the hook. Or you could buy some weighted jig style flies if you don't tie your own
Barry E
Roach
Roach

Post by Barry E »

A big Clouser on a fast sinking line