Shore conger

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Shore conger

Post by GAVIN H »

That ladys article in CatchCult 16 has got me wanting to catch a shore conger. Done a bit of research, theres some good marks within a reasonable drive of me so lads, can anyone tell me what rod and reel i need, i,ve no sea fishing gear. Looking at a penn 535 and some sort of beach rod, 12 foot, 4-8 oz, compound taper?.I,ve googled this, thats about all i came up with. Theres the potential for big conger and it i,ll be fishing from jettys, breakwaters. Was wondering, what about catfishing rods, any thoughts
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Re: Shore conger

Post by GAVIN H »

Thanks in advance lads.
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

I have caught a few congers from the shore up to 40lb from south west Scotland and the gear can change depending upon how far you have to cast. I have used gear like you stated with a Daiwa Slosh 30 loaded with 35 or 40lb mono and a Conoflex Nemesis Diablo for when you need to cast a little bit further. If you dont need to cast so far or are dropping your gear into structure or just off the pier a heavy 6-10oz uptide rod or even a 30-50lb class boat rod can be used. I would think a catfish rod would be heavy enough. A shorter rod obviously gives you better leverage to extract fish. You need at least 35-40lb mono if not 50lb to give you abrasion resistance against any structure. I would prefer a multiplier reel as you can leave it in free spool on the clicker for takes and it is more direct when fighting a fish but a heavy fixed spool may be OK. Traces need to be a minimum of 12-18" of 150lb mono or 70lb cardylon wire biting piece. I would also use a 4-6' long 100lb plus mono leader to give me something to hold to handline a fish in. Heavy good quality swivels are a must as conger can spin on the surface snapping traces. Baits would be something like a big mackerel flapper or a whole punctured mackerel on an 8/0 o'shaughnessy hook. When you get a take it will be quite gentle sometimes as they like to swallow the bait on the spot. The hard part is letting them do this without letting them get back into their bolt hole. If they get into a snag try giving them some slack line and hopefully they might swim out.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Ive done a bit.
As Ian says, dont go for a long rod, nothing over 9ft and something with good lifting capability.
Match the rod with a multiplier, my choice is a Penn Jigmaster 500L because they have 4/0 drag systems, are lefthand wind, come with a rod clamp and can cast a big bait up to 50yards with 40lb mono.
100-150lb commercial mono, a damn sharp 10/0 O’Shaughnessy hook and a 200lb swivel together with 5turn uni knots is my rig.
Ive never known anyone use wire for conger except one and he used a straightened coat hanger (and he broke the British Conger record with 2 x 1.5lb pollock as bait).

Conger spin like nothing you've ever seen (they lay straight and spin along their length) so be V careful taking wraps of the thick leader around your hand, a 3" gaff is much better and besides conger make good eating. A gaff also helps when you want to dump them in a sack, their slime is more like layers of grease!

The record is over 60lb but a 20 will be a handful for starters, a 30 will be a shock and anything bigger you will remember forever.

Lastly dont think about playing a conger, it's a slug fest with something that thinks is a pitbull, so if your gaining line your winning, anything else and your loosing.

Let the fun begin :thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso »

Seen some in the harbour in mullaghmore Gavin
They seem to come out of the holes in the wall.
Saw it swimming around amongst the moored boats.
Always wanted to give it a try. Apart from a really old boat rod i dont really have the gear.... wouldbt like to leave a trace in one.
Running Ledger Fishing Blog
http://www.bencarvosso.wordpress.com
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

bencarvosso wrote: Mon May 25 2020 09:38 -
Seen some in the harbour in mullaghmore Gavin
They seem to come out of the holes in the wall.
Saw it swimming around amongst the moored boats.
Always wanted to give it a try. Apart from a really old boat rod i dont really have the gear.... wouldbt like to leave a trace in one.
I,m going to get a rod and reel sorted Ben and give it a go. From what i,ve read, it should be good craic. :thumbs:
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Thanks for the advice lads, should be fun. :cheers:
bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso »

Defo pull your string. I remember when I lived in Dublin a mates dad had one around 40lb from the harbour in bray some beast. Wouldn't put my hand in its mouth, that's for sure
Running Ledger Fishing Blog
http://www.bencarvosso.wordpress.com
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

I meant to say they can swallow a bait so take cutters and a long disgorger. I have a metal t-bar disgorger but 11" long nosed pliers would work. You could pinch the barb on the hook down to make it easier to get out. I wouldn't worry too much if you had to cut a hook as it will rust away in the salt water.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

One more thing to mention, use a rotten bottom to your lead. A lead stuck fast in what will be conger territory is a recipe for disaster.

There's a system that allows you to use really light mono for your rotten bottom yet still be able to give it the full "heave ho" on the cast.

I make my own, copied off a guy on youtube, really clever bit of kit.

I've never fished for conger btw, but these are for the local rough ground.

When I watch his video the lead sometimes stays on without a shake, you can tweak the bend angles so the lead drops off immediately.
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Post by GAVIN H »

Thanks for all the info lads, much appreciated. Just got to get some gear sorted now. :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Quote; "should be good craic". :thumbs:

Oh you think so, well when youve had one come and tell us how much laughing you did when it was pulling you around.

112.5Lb British Record Conger Eel. Plymouth.jpg

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus