Buzz off

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Buzz off

Post by greencard1 »

Last season I was packing away my tackle on a river swim when I heard a buzzing noise off in the distance. A drone flew up river and stopped opposite me, hovering very still.
I was the only angler fishing on that day. I moved backwards under the bankside trees; and the drone dropped down in height and came closer to the bank to see what I was doing.
After a few seconds, the drone went back out and flew off down river.
I don,t know who was flying the drone, and for what reason. I was a bit annoyed at being spied on.
Are drones a valuable tool for spotting wrong-doers; or a violation of our civil liberties?
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Re: Buzz off

Post by Mattjb »

Had one hovering over our boat once at chew. f*****g annoying, if it had stayed there much longer a 3oz lead and 65lb braid would have been heading it's way. They are a nuisance that's for sure.
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

greencard1 wrote: Mon Jun 01 2020 09:00 -
Last season I was packing away my tackle on a river swim when I heard a buzzing noise off in the distance. A drone flew up river and stopped opposite me, hovering very still.
I was the only angler fishing on that day. I moved backwards under the bankside trees; and the drone dropped down in height and came closer to the bank to see what I was doing.
After a few seconds, the drone went back out and flew off down river.
I don,t know who was flying the drone, and for what reason. I was a bit annoyed at being spied on.
Are drones a valuable tool for spotting wrong-doers; or a violation of our civil liberties?

If it gets too dam close, wreck it if you can.
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

Invasion of your privacy...... full stop.

Having said that, should you damage it you too could be in the crap with any footage taken readily available to be used against you if they dare take that chance.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

There are regulations about how close to people drones are allowed to fly for safety reasons. Also regarding flying over private property. It's only invasion of privacy if you are in a place where you have an expectation of privacy - your back garden or a private fishery say.

If you're in a public place, such as on a beach, then there is nothing to stop anyone taking a photograph of anyone else - drone or no drone - provided no other laws are being broken.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

davelumb wrote: Wed Jun 03 2020 21:20 -
There are regulations about how close to people drones are allowed to fly for safety reasons. Also regarding flying over private property. It's only invasion of privacy if you are in a place where you have an expectation of privacy - your back garden or a private fishery say.

If you're in a public place, such as on a beach, then there is nothing to stop anyone taking a photograph of anyone else - drone or no drone - provided no other laws are being broken.
Are lost balls and sheep protected under privacy laws??

:grin:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Bob Watson wrote: Wed Jun 03 2020 21:51 -
davelumb wrote: Wed Jun 03 2020 21:20 -

Are lost balls and sheep protected under privacy laws??

:grin:
If they can be seen from a public place then they are fair game. :thumbs:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

I knocked one clean out of the sky last season while chucking big softies, it plunged into the river with a disappointing splash.
A couple of minutes later its owner appeared wanting to know if I'd seen his drone.
I denied seeing anything!
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

If the one that buzzed me had hung around a bit longer, I would have got my Black Widow out.

It's just one of those annoying aspects of modern life. I resent being spied on by a drone; but I reserve the right to take a photo of the moron who is cycling on the pavement towards me and my dog so that I can use it in evidence against him.