Elvers

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
GAVIN H
Zander
Zander

Elvers

Post by GAVIN H »

Read the other day that its the best elver run for years on uk rivers. Good news :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Elvers

Post by davelumb »

Hope so.
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Wonder If that's because it has been harder to illegally net them during lockdown?
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Steve C
Perch
Perch

Post by Steve C »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Tue Jun 02 2020 12:37 -
Wonder If that's because it has been harder to illegally net them during lockdown?
There have been a few years recently where numbers arriving have been very good, demonstrated by the Elver stations reaching the quota (fixed by law) well before the end of the 'season'

Some years they have shut up shop leaving disappointed anglers with loads to try and sell, either via door to door sales, or the fish stalls in the local markets.

The Elverers generally start early February on my local , in hope/anticipation, and probably would have finished by the lockdown date, and definitely if there was no longer a market for the catch.
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Steve C wrote: Tue Jun 02 2020 17:27 -
There have been a few years recently where numbers arriving have been very good, demonstrated by the Elver stations reaching the quota (fixed by law) well before the end of the 'season'

Some years they have shut up shop leaving disappointed anglers with loads to try and sell, either via door to door sales, or the fish stalls in the local markets.

The Elverers generally start early February on my local , in hope/anticipation, and probably would have finished by the lockdown date, and definitely if there was no longer a market for the catch.
Thanks for the info :thumbs:
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Steve C
Perch
Perch

Post by Steve C »

It appears that Elvering is off this year and possibly for good following Brexit. The costs, challenges, and sustainability evaluations mean that UK trading with the EU could result in fishing for them finally meeting its end. :question: :shrug:

https://www.business-live.co.uk/ports-l ... s-19315763

https://www.theforester.co.uk/article.c ... hyear=2021
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Since eels are endangered that's great news. Hopefully we'll see the benefit in years to come. Nowadays, I only go eel fishing once a year on the Thames, just to see if they're still around.
Steve C
Perch
Perch

Post by Steve C »

Pinkie wrote: Sat Jan 30 2021 12:21 -
Since eels are endangered that's great news. Hopefully we'll see the benefit in years to come. Nowadays, I only go eel fishing once a year on the Thames, just to see if they're still around.
Lough Neagh Eel industry facing difficult future if UK elvers aren't available for stocking

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northern ... --1710013/

...... and they can't sell matured Eels back to the UK

The EU has banned sales with any country outside the European Union as part of a wider conservation effort.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55818519
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

One things for sure the elvers wont be needing the expensive elver passes built on some of the weirs in the Trent region.

Will elvering stop? The price per kilo will undoubtedly mean a black market will spring up for them
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Still it's good to hear that their numbers are on the up rather than the opposite :thumbs: .

Will.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Tue Jun 02 2020 21:42 -
Steve C wrote: Tue Jun 02 2020 17:27 -

Thanks for the info :thumbs:
A friend lives right next to the Severn ... he walks his dogs nightly and he said its relentless the amount of activity during netting times, of course some will be legal but the high possibility is illegal activity as the money to be made is staggering.
Steve C
Perch
Perch

Post by Steve C »

Kev Berry wrote: Sat Jan 30 2021 22:17 -
One things for sure the elvers wont be needing the expensive elver passes built on some of the weirs in the Trent region.

Will elvering stop? The price per kilo will undoubtedly mean a black market will spring up for them
Illegal trading probably accelerated the moment a 'sustainable' legal quota was agreed :mad:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-g ... e-48647168
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

Elver fishing/trapping should be stopped totally.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.