Slider Fishing

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Re: Slider Fishing

Post by Bob Watson »

lochhopper wrote: Mon Apr 12 2021 16:56 -
Which material do people recommend for a stop knot (on mono main line)?
Thin mono so it casts through the rod eyes easily.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Bob Watson wrote: Mon Apr 12 2021 17:57 -
And don't cut the tag ends too short.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

davelumb wrote: Mon Apr 12 2021 18:18 -
And use a float with a small eye, or squash the eye of a float adapter :wink:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Bob Watson wrote: Mon Apr 12 2021 18:29 -
davelumb wrote: Mon Apr 12 2021 18:18 -
And use a float with a small eye, or squash the eye of a float adapter :wink:
:thumbs:
lochhopper
Roach
Roach

Post by lochhopper »

Thanks for the replies :thumbs:
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

Andrew Croft wrote: Mon Apr 12 2021 17:11 -
Jason Skilton wrote: Mon Aug 17 2020 07:10 -
For the first in a long while I ahve learnt something very new. Using a 10g loaded slider river to fish a river where the depth was from 17ft.

I can't believe how sensitive the rig was and how versatile.
I've never tried it but I'll give it a go. Sounds good.
Mike J wrote: Mon Aug 17 2020 10:51 -
Ah been there done that :grin:

My deeep hole produced some nice 2+ Roach laying on the near bank, a record chub that morphed into a double figure carp at the net and tons of eels.

How deep is your hole, many people in it. Can I come?

👀
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Andrew Croft wrote: Mon Apr 12 2021 17:11 -
Jason Skilton wrote: Mon Aug 17 2020 07:10 -
For the first in a long while I ahve learnt something very new. Using a 10g loaded slider river to fish a river where the depth was from 17ft.

I can't believe how sensitive the rig was and how versatile.
I've never tried it but I'll give it a go. Sounds good.
Mike J wrote: Mon Aug 17 2020 10:51 -
Ah been there done that :grin:

My deeep hole produced some nice 2+ Roach laying on the near bank, a record chub that morphed into a double figure carp at the net and tons of eels.

How deep is your hole, many people in it. Can I come?

👀

:shoot:

Ha ha :laughs:

18ft actually, being downstream of a bridge it might have had a few bodies but the flow would soon have given the problem to someone else.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Squaze 123
Roach
Roach

Post by Squaze 123 »

Absolutely devastating method, fished it for thirty years, found that some of the Italian made olivetts are much denser and smaller than the drennan ones,I make some of my own floats out of quill and sacandras glued In to bodies with a short length of 3mm brass rod into the bottom of the body to pre load and use float adapters with the swivel crushed to an oblong shape, rarely tangles on casting however using shop bought unloaded floats I put a float stop above the olivette at a distance of just bigger than the float to avoid tangles, I use 3 different rods ,11ft beast master for tight over hanging tree swims , a diawa amorphous 13 ft for out and out roach fishing and a shimano power loop 15 ft spliced tip for distance/ bream and fishing on the drop up to 7-8 ft, always use closed face reels for the slider , Abu 601/602 diplomat , Abu gold max, Abu 506.I like using the 11 ft rod as it’s 2 piece and if you have it set up you simply arrive put the rod together and put the float in the adapter and your fishing in less than 1 minute.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Squaze 123 wrote: Tue Apr 13 2021 21:24 -
Absolutely devastating method, fished it for thirty years, found that some of the Italian made olivetts are much denser and smaller than the drennan ones,I make some of my own floats out of quill and sacandras glued In to bodies with a short length of 3mm brass rod into the bottom of the body to pre load and use float adapters with the swivel crushed to an oblong shape, rarely tangles on casting however using shop bought unloaded floats I put a float stop above the olivette at a distance of just bigger than the float to avoid tangles, I use 3 different rods ,11ft beast master for tight over hanging tree swims , a diawa amorphous 13 ft for out and out roach fishing and a shimano power loop 15 ft spliced tip for distance/ bream and fishing on the drop up to 7-8 ft, always use closed face reels for the slider , Abu 601/602 diplomat , Abu gold max, Abu 506.I like using the 11 ft rod as it’s 2 piece and if you have it set up you simply arrive put the rod together and put the float in the adapter and your fishing in less than 1 minute.
Any particular reason for the closed face reels?

I only use mine on the stick!
Squaze 123
Roach
Roach

Post by Squaze 123 »

Bob Watson wrote: Tue Apr 13 2021 22:23 -
Squaze 123 wrote: Tue Apr 13 2021 21:24 -
Any particular reason for the closed face reels?

I only use mine on the stick!
After casting in leave the bail arm open until the float settles and then sink the line, gives better line control in windy conditions with the bail open on a closed face, maybe just my preference but the old Abu 601 and 602 are very light and paired with the 13ft amorphous are a delight to use ,obviously I fish a fixed spool reel when employing this method piking.