Slider Fishing

Post by Jason Skilton »

OMG....why have I not tried this sooner in life :grin:
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Re: Slider Fishing

Post by Jason Skilton »

For the first in a long while I ahve learnt something very new. Using a 10g loaded slider river to fish a river where the depth was from 17ft.

I can't believe how sensitive the rig was and how versatile.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Ah been there done that :grin:

My deeep hole produced some nice 2+ Roach laying on the near bank, a record chub that morphed into a double figure carp at the net and tons of eels.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I fish the sliding float for anything over 7-8ft deep. It makes casting far easier!
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Bob Watson wrote: Mon Aug 17 2020 17:01 -
I fish the sliding float for anything over 7-8ft deep. It makes casting far easier!
Doesn't it just!

So what floats are do you use?

I've gone for Cralusso pro sliders in 10g.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Jason Skilton wrote: Tue Aug 18 2020 08:22 -
Doesn't it just!

Cralusso floats - simply the finest floats on the market by miles.
Each model superbly designed and made with quality materials including rock hard bodies, adjustable design allows for less shotting worries and they will last a lifetime.

(I use 8 different models)
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Jason Skilton wrote: Tue Aug 18 2020 08:22 -
Doesn't it just!

Depends on the conditions. A straight waggler if choppy and there is undertow or an insert in flat calm. Weight depending on casting distance.

I just use cheap off the shelf floats, peacocks, drennan crystals etc.

Basically the same crateria as normal.

Bulk shot set anywhere from a third upto half depth.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

The bulk shot is the bit I struggle with (6 ssg), so have no bought some 8g olivettes instead.

I'm actually really excited about the whole method as I simple love watching a float go under and the versitility of the method is amazing.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Jason Skilton wrote: Tue Aug 18 2020 11:41 -
The bulk shot is the bit I struggle with (6 ssg), so have no bought some 8g olivettes instead.

I'm actually really excited about the whole method as I simple love watching a float go under and the versitility of the method is amazing.

I only use olivettes, Ive found the line thu Drennens are the best. Tip - don't try doubling them up if you dont have the correct weight, shots are better until you can buy the right size of find some old barrel leads.

I fish heavy in deep holes, 16lb running line (braid), 5-6ft of 6-8lb fluoro the oli with a small float stop each side, #24 match swivel, 3-4ft of 4-5lb fluoro hooklength with a shot to balance the tackle and a 10-12 hook. Always fished holding back hard with big bow wave off the float because the bottom current is usually non exisitant.
Ive learnt the hard way to go heavy and use big hooks and the fish dont seem to mind, finessing it isnt, catching it is.

And dont forget a bait dropper.

PS I believe the Clarusso float systems were designed to negate the ban on ledgering in international match fishing, hence their flexibility.
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

I fish the slider quite a lot for bream here. It suits most of the stillwaters, a lot of which are deep close in, I also use it from the boat both on lakes and also fishing some big bolo/avons on the river. Olivettes are ok but can be a nuisance if conditions change and it suits to change to a bigger or smaller float. I prefer using LG size shot for the bulk, a few large shot have less tendency to tangle than using more SSG or AA, which I've seen some people using. Also, for any distance casting, a long tail is less inclined to tangle. I usually have about 5ft between the bulk and the hook, with droppers spaced accordingly, normally no.1's, or paired 4's. Irrespective of what you're fishing for, things work better with heavier mainline, I use around 10lb or 0.26mm. I have a tube full of Crallusso crystals with the matching tubing and bullets but I hardly ever use them, they're more hassle than they're worth, plus they leak if used for repeated distance casting. I have plenty of sliders from Sensas and Trabucco etc, which are easy to get working as you want them to.
Also, the absolute need for a long rod is a myth, a 14-15ft'er is a good allround usable length.
Marcraft are for queers.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I've never found the need for a rod longer than my standard 13' for slider fishing Bill, to me it's one of the reasons of using the method, to avoid the use of long rods👍

I use an 11' 9" avon for tench on a small local pit casting into small holes in the weed in about 8' of water. The short length of rig between float and hook means getting everything in the hole is easier.

I've even used a slider in quite shallow water for the same reason.

Very versatile method
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

You're right there Bob about it being handy even in shallower water. Like you, I use it to drop baits accurately in to tight spots for tench.
The mention of rod length was in relation to what seems to be a commom perception that rods of 16-20ft are needed. I use whatever float rod I feel like using, as long as it can cast a big float.
Marcraft are for queers.
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

I dont know why but I have tried this method several times on slow moving deep rivers and end up with tangles. I suspect its to do with my set up and distances to bulk although I have watch videos and do feather my casts. If I can get away with it I fish 6m whip to hand so I can trot the rig through slowly or fish a 18' bolo rod instead.
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Mike J wrote: Tue Aug 18 2020 12:01 -
Jason Skilton wrote: Tue Aug 18 2020 11:41 -

I only use olivettes, Ive found the line thu Drennens are the best. Tip - don't try doubling them up if you dont have the correct weight, shots are better until you can buy the right size of find some old barrel leads.

I fish heavy in deep holes, 16lb running line (braid), 5-6ft of 6-8lb fluoro the oli with a small float stop each side, #24 match swivel, 3-4ft of 4-5lb fluoro hooklength with a shot to balance the tackle and a 10-12 hook. Always fished holding back hard with big bow wave off the float because the bottom current is usually non exisitant.
Ive learnt the hard way to go heavy and use big hooks and the fish dont seem to mind, finessing it isnt, catching it is.

And dont forget a bait dropper.

PS I believe the Clarusso float systems were designed to negate the ban on ledgering in international match fishing, hence their flexibility.

"I only use olivettes, Ive found the line thu Drennens are the best. "

Absolutely, I use these for any "bulk" shot style.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Iain Gillies wrote: Tue Aug 18 2020 18:25 -
I dont know why but I have tried this method several times on slow moving deep rivers and end up with tangles. I suspect its to do with my set up and distances to bulk although I have watch videos and do feather my casts. If I can get away with it I fish 6m whip to hand so I can trot the rig through slowly or fish a 18' bolo rod instead.
Don't go too light, especially with a sliding stick, you need the bulk shot to keep the mainline down and not be pulled up through the float.

A small shot, no 6 or 4, a couple of feet above the bulk shot for the float to sit on helps too!
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

Thanks Bob, I suspect you know where I am trying to fish the slider. I will give your tip a go and see if I get on any better. Although I like fishing the whip and the bolo rod it does get heavy on the arms after a few hours. It is much nicer watching a float as opposed to watching for the tip to twitch though. Cheers, Iain
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Iain Gillies wrote: Tue Aug 18 2020 18:25 -

Many years ago I was fishing some v deep pits at extremes distances for Rudd using sliding 12-14" long missiles, 8lb mono on a 12ft Normark (original version).
With those rigs it was only possible to avoid tangles by keeping 3-4ft between the lower bulk 5-6SSG shot and a swan shot under the float and keeping the hooklength to under 2.5ft.

These days nothing beats the Clarusso Rocket float for sheer distance, non tangling and accuracy.
If you haven't tried one you've never really float fished, yes they are that good infact Ive even tried modifying one into a slider.

Last edited by Mike J on Wed Aug 19 2020 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Been using a stepped up float rod in 13ft and would you to be great so far. I keen to use this method for tench and break on the gravel pits. Beats sitting behind buzzers all day.

I'm going to add in a swivel to attach the hooklink too as suggested.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Jason Skilton wrote: Wed Aug 19 2020 07:40 -
Been using a stepped up float rod in 13ft and would you to be great so far. I keen to use this method for tench and break on the gravel pits. Beats sitting behind buzzers all day.

I'm going to add in a swivel to attach the hooklink too as suggested.

Info;
the Preston #24 Match Swivel breaks at just under 30lb
the tube bead line attachment on the Rocket float is easiest to use with mono
a heavy Rocket float can be fished just under the rod tip if needed
Can be fished tight against a reed bed as the float always lands infront of the end tackle
for sensitivity/lift bites the calibrated Light Rocket with a flag tip is brilliant (caught me bigger Roach than heli feeders).

:thumbs:
Daniel
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Daniel »

A cracking video about slider fishing from cadence.

https://youtu.be/ztYjqQbH9Rw

Have a look through their videos, they are excellent, very informative.
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

An old master explains in a bit more detail.
hb904460
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by hb904460 »

The only slider float i have used is an original Ian Heaps. I went to watch his roadshows about 5 times, including one at Tattershall Leisure Centre where i won it in the raffle.
I stayed behind after the show ended, my dad was one of the organisers, and listened to Ian chat until the early hours. Really nice, knowledgeable guy. He gave me his groundbait bucket and spare groundbait after doing his demonstration of mixing and baiting up in the middle of the room! I still have the 6m Silstar whip he recommended.
Happy memories.
Lucy S
Roach
Roach

Post by Lucy S »

Is the slider a better option over the locslide?
I rarely do any course fishing but was confronted with a 15' swim last weekend and just used the feeder but would rather watch a float
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Lucy S wrote: Sat Aug 22 2020 18:27 -
Is the slider a better option over the locslide?
I rarely do any course fishing but was confronted with a 15' swim last weekend and just used the feeder but would rather watch a float

For lift and bites on the drop I find the slider provides a better indication
to remove the line angle a high backward sweep is required to set the hook so its worth doing a calculation.
interchangeable tips in various colours and sizes certsinly help as bites and available light change.
the Rocket float has been proved to cast further than any normal slider.
Never used a locslide.

:thumbs:
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

Locslides and polaris floats are designed to be used with a feeder or lead weight.

They can be excellent on their day. Bite registration is surprisingly sensitive.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Always found locslides to be fragile
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark Phillips »

Jason Skilton wrote: Sun Aug 16 2020 18:36 -
OMG....why have I not tried this sooner in life :grin:
I was catching skimmers using a slider when I was a teenager :smile:
Piking Plonker
Ally
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Ally »

Sliders are great. Used them a lot once when I fished deep lakes. But not for a few years.
lochhopper
Roach
Roach

Post by lochhopper »

Which material do people recommend for a stop knot (on mono main line)?
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Jason Skilton wrote: Mon Aug 17 2020 07:10 -
For the first in a long while I ahve learnt something very new. Using a 10g loaded slider river to fish a river where the depth was from 17ft.

I can't believe how sensitive the rig was and how versatile.
I've never tried it but I'll give it a go. Sounds good.
Mike J wrote: Mon Aug 17 2020 10:51 -
Ah been there done that :grin:

My deeep hole produced some nice 2+ Roach laying on the near bank, a record chub that morphed into a double figure carp at the net and tons of eels.

How deep is your hole, many people in it. Can I come?

👀