Classic Groundbait

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
c14r4n
Roach
Roach

Classic Groundbait

Post by c14r4n »

After many years out of the match fishing game I'm getting the urge to get the feeder rod out again and take my little one out. I'm looking forward to dusting off the old gear and I'm also keen to start reusing the old Sensas and VDE groundbait I used as a kid.

Locally, there is none of it available... Anyone recommend a good online shop for this type of thing??
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Re: Classic Groundbait

Post by SmellySmelt »

Invicta angling or Johnson Ross would be a good start.
juttle
Perch
Perch

Post by juttle »

Try this stuff, cheap as strangely sliced root vegetables!

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/gooster-cla ... 61122.html

I’ve been using it all summer and it does the job!
Bob
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Shouldn’t be too hard finding senses, I get mine for the shop through county ground baits in essex👍
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Sensas magic strawberry for me. Strawberry was an absolute killer for me with the tench over a summer season, strawberry specifically. Only managed to get it twice through my proper tenching season, then nothing, just the generic crumb etc :sad:

Took to mashing strawberries in to some odd mashed up cakes and s**t for that sweet taste trying to replicate the gbait. Did the job no doubt but like I've said on other posts...... confidence is key imo.

Never came close to that sensas strawberry gbait :sad:
c14r4n
Roach
Roach

Post by c14r4n »

Yes Red Magic was a killer for me, loved the stuff.....

I'm not really looking for recommendations or variations, I was more looking for a trip down memory lane.... I've been on a few websites and can see most of them are still available.

Was more meaning is there anyone online does groundbait as locally the options are slim....
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Very slim mate, like very very slim. Think you need to make that special "brew" tbh. The variations/flavors change so quickly round my way that its the only way to keep a sort of "regular/dependable supply" ?

Sorry am oan the tequila am a missing the point ?
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Could munch instead red magic maself. I bet it makes a great biscuit base
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

Andrew Croft wrote: Fri Aug 28 2020 23:20 -
Sensas magic strawberry for me. Strawberry was an absolute killer for me with the tench over a summer season, strawberry specifically. Only managed to get it twice through my proper tenching season, then nothing, just the generic crumb etc :sad:

Took to mashing strawberries in to some odd mashed up cakes and s**t for that sweet taste trying to replicate the gbait. Did the job no doubt but like I've said on other posts...... confidence is key imo.

Never came close to that sensas strawberry gbait :sad:
Have a look at the vde strawberry additive, first link I found, so up it up. Very concentrated.
https://baitsuperstore.com/v-d-e-additi ... -250g.html
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Getting a bit late in the year now I.m.e. not once have I cast a tench rig :sad:
Iain Gillies
Perch
Perch

Post by Iain Gillies »

I can recommend Boland groundbaits which do mail order delivery and comes in a range of colours and natural and fishmeal bases. I think its about £6 for a 3kg bag and they do postage for about £5 for up to 10 bags. To bulk my groundbaits out I would also get a 20kg sack of brown crumb which will be less than £25. I think free offerings in the groundbait like chopped worm, hemp, casters, dead maggots, pellets etc. are actually more important than the mix although mix colour can be important on some venues.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

The first classic groundbait was Cloud, it came in cotton bags with a sewn closure, because polythene hadn't been invented at the time.

Whatever the base it was very finely ground with tiny bits of shell in it to make it glitter as it sunk, at 1/- a bag (10p) it was too expensive for a school kid to afford so I cadged used bags from the grownups and pretended it was the real thing with whatever I could scrounge off Mum or the local baker.

Blimey remembering all that takes me back a bit.

:madmick:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

Used to use Sensas Red Magic a lot. I can remember fishing one gravel pit and as soon as the balls of groundbait went in the tench came out to feed. They either heard it hit the surface of the water or smelt it.

So i moulded some around my hookbait and watched them in the crystal clear pit water take it. It only worked once they weren't daft.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I have fed Tench with over ripe banana and in recent years have had carp pick up bits from beside my rod rests.
Worms fed on banana also catch tench.

Must try a few bits of strawberry on the hook to see if it would have a similar result for the tench.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
WSBeattie
Roach
Roach

Post by WSBeattie »

First groundbait we used was Magnet, ideally in red. 33 pence a bag. Current staples are Gold Pro, Explosiv feeder with crushed hemp and I do like the Dynamite black fishmeal for when it needs to be darker.
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

Ref Sensas, I was in Go Outdoors before lockdown and they had it there. They have a couple flavours on the website but more choices in store if you have one local ,👍
c14r4n
Roach
Roach

Post by c14r4n »

Thanks Chris, good to know.... Wouldn't have thought of them.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I've been using just coarsely grated stale bread as ground bait this summer.

The Mrs doesn't eat much bread and a full loaf invariably outlasts it's freshness, so I've been grating it up and freezing it.

I leave the crust on and grate the lot - white, wholemeal, old cheese topped cobs - anything!

I mix it sloppy and bait the reed margins with it. Sometimes the fish are on it within minutes.

I don't add any bait samples or other additives (unless you count the occasional bit of skin, grated off my knuckles - ouch! :eek:).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

Willy worms
c14r4n
Roach
Roach

Post by c14r4n »

Slug wrote: Sat Aug 29 2020 19:10 -
Willy worms
Perfect, that's exactly what I'm looking for.....
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Slug wrote: Sat Aug 29 2020 19:10 -
Willy worms
I’ve used willy worms a few times great service :thumbs:
lochhopper
Roach
Roach

Post by lochhopper »

Mike J wrote: Sat Aug 29 2020 08:44 -
The first classic groundbait was Cloud, it came in cotton bags with a sewn closure, because polythene hadn't been invented at the time.

Whatever the base it was very finely ground with tiny bits of shell in it to make it glitter as it sunk, at 1/- a bag (10p) it was too expensive for a school kid to afford so I cadged used bags from the grownups and pretended it was the real thing with whatever I could scrounge off Mum or the local baker.

> at 1/- a bag (10p)

:scratch:

I'm not old enough ever to have bought anything for a shilling... but I do remember that 1/- is 5 new pence :wink:

I also remember in the 1980s hearing "ten bob" for 50 p at school (e.g. "Gees a loan eh ten boab?").
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

lochhopper wrote: Wed Sep 02 2020 11:21 -
Mike J wrote: Sat Aug 29 2020 08:44 -

> at 1/- a bag (10p)

:scratch:

I'm not old enough ever to have bought anything for a shilling... but I do remember that 1/- is 5 new pence :wink:

I also remember in the 1980s hearing "ten bob" for 50 p at school (e.g. "Gees a loan eh ten boab?").

Oi, Ive still got catalogs priced in pounds shillings and pence :madmick:
My previous pair of pike rods were bought in old money along with my first Barbour and cotton brolly.

Also remember farthings and silver threepenny 'bits' the coin of choice for Mums to put into Christmas puddings.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Make you own ;-) Brown crumb and additivies thats all it is.....
c14r4n
Roach
Roach

Post by c14r4n »

Jason Skilton wrote: Thu Sep 17 2020 09:12 -
I know exactly what groundbait is, I made my own brown crumb by the sack load as a kid and experimented with practically every flavour and additive available, I was more meaning the nostalgia of using bags of stuff from back in the day.... The smells in particular will be a trip down memory lane.
Ally
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Ally »

My vote for plain breadcrumb too. Never convinced that costly fancy groundbaits offered anything more.
Mako234
Roach
Roach

Post by Mako234 »

think the idea of modern ground bait is not to feed the fish but to stimulate them in rooting about looking for food my favourite at the minute being cadence range bread will soon fill fish up and stop them feeding where as a low food bait keeps them grubbing about longer
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Mako234 wrote: Thu Nov 26 2020 18:06 -
think the idea of modern ground bait is not to feed the fish but to stimulate them in rooting about looking for food my favourite at the minute being cadence range bread will soon fill fish up and stop them feeding where as a low food bait keeps them grubbing about longer
2mm pellets sparingly. The sound and regular input works wonders imo. Draws them in to the area.
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

c14r4n wrote: Thu Sep 17 2020 20:28 -
I know exactly what groundbait is, I made my own brown crumb by the sack load as a kid and experimented with practically every flavour and additive available, I was more meaning the nostalgia of using bags of stuff from back in the day.... The smells in particular will be a trip down memory lane.
Sensas Red Magic, loved that smell.

Commercial groundbaits are so expensive nothing wrong with liquidising a loaf of bread or two.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

martin(rockape) wrote: Thu Nov 26 2020 23:05 -
c14r4n wrote: Thu Sep 17 2020 20:28 -
Sensas Red Magic, loved that smell.

Commercial groundbaits are so expensive nothing wrong with liquidising a loaf of bread or two.

Regards

Martin
Love sensas magic. Mentiotoned it earlier but I dont think they make it anymore or atleast not being stocked in shops i frequent so much so I took to just blitzing strawberries into some generic broon crumb and ime.... it worked.

P.s. add some Robinson diluting juice instead of plain water when mixing your crumb.... ma auld pal poaches idea