http://www.bencarvosso.wordpress.com
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Salmon

Post by Mike J »

Yes me :thumbs:

English rivers and the long rod.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
coopercollector
Roach
Roach

Post by coopercollector »

I have fished the Invernesshire Garry since I was 8.

Been missing it this year though !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr Andy Sage
keith the piker
Roach
Roach

Post by keith the piker »

Depends whether you mean salmon anglers or salmon catchers ...
coopercollector
Roach
Roach

keith the piker wrote: Thu Jan 21 2021 14:33 -
Depends whether you mean salmon anglers or salmon catchers ...
Salmon catchers, I see plenty that don't catch !
Dr Andy Sage
SmellySmelt
Perch
Perch

Post by SmellySmelt »

bencarvosso wrote: Thu Jan 21 2021 11:47 -
I do a little in the summer
A little bit :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso »

Well more than a little so :laughs:
Running Ledger Fishing Blog
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

coopercollector wrote: Thu Jan 21 2021 13:13 -
I have fished the Invernesshire Garry since I was 8.

Been missing it this year though !
Lovely fish :thumbs:
bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso »

Was there a question regarding salmon or was it to find out if like minded anglers on here.
I'm no expert but with so many salmon within a short distance of my place I've spent more and more evenings having a go for them in the summer.
Great crack on light gear and last year started using a float rod and centerpin for them which was due opening
coopercollector
Roach
Roach

The original question was to see if there are like minded anglers out there.
I have fished for Salmon for 45yrs and find them an interesting fish. With most other species I can usually set out to catch them with a fair amount of certainty that I will catch them. With Salmon, every trip is an education, the conditions can be perfect, the river full of fish but the buggers wont take ! (unless its my wife fishing, she seems to attract them).
Its the uncertainty that keep me interested in them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr Andy Sage
bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso »

Women do seems to have an uncanny knack for catching more and bigger salmon.... maybe the old theory about pheromones is true
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

I went Salmon fishing in America Andy, bitterly disappointed by the experience, the sheer volume was staggering and the methods used was not in the spirit, I realise it's not representative of the angling you're referring to, but was a sight non the less caught double figures in the first 45 min up to 20plus lbs. the runs going past on what was little more than a brook will never leave my mind though.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

coopercollector wrote: Fri Jan 22 2021 10:19 -
I have fished for Salmon for 45yrs and find them an interesting fish. With most other species I can usually set out to catch them with a fair amount of certainty that I will catch them. With Salmon, every trip is an education, the conditions can be perfect, the river full of fish but the buggers wont take ! (unless its my wife fishing, she seems to attract them).

The fish in your posts, are they catch and release or taken?

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
coopercollector
Roach
Roach

Mike J wrote: Fri Jan 22 2021 12:00 -
coopercollector wrote: Fri Jan 22 2021 10:19 -

The fish in your posts, are they catch and release or taken?

All catch and release since about 1995, before that they got knocked on the nut. It took a while to get used to letting them go, but I love seeing them swim off now.
Dr Andy Sage
coopercollector
Roach
Roach

Stewlaws wrote: Fri Jan 22 2021 10:30 -
I went Salmon fishing in America Andy, bitterly disappointed by the experience, the sheer volume was staggering and the methods used was not in the spirit, I realise it's not representative of the angling you're referring to, but was a sight non the less caught double figures in the first 45 min up to 20plus lbs. the runs going past on what was little more than a brook will never leave my mind though.
I have been out to British Columbia on a few occasions and agree with you, its all a bit odd especially when you realise that many of the fish you are catching are hooked from the outside of the mouth in !. I think its referred to as "flossing".

My main reason for going back to BC regularly though is for the Sturgeon fishing in the Fraser River, now that's a trip worth making !
Dr Andy Sage
coopercollector
Roach
Roach

bencarvosso wrote: Fri Jan 22 2021 10:25 -
Women do seems to have an uncanny knack for catching more and bigger salmon.... maybe the old theory about pheromones is true
The first time I took my wife, I handed her a rod and showed her how to spin (I tend to fly fish mostly), telling her not to expect too much as they were hard fish to catch.

She only had about 10 casts and hooked one 18lb, the next time she fished she had a 23 !
Dr Andy Sage
bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Post by bencarvosso »

Brilliant she looks thrilled.
Must get the wife out for a cast....
I have two river close by. I 100% catch and release on my local whereas I have another up the road which is overrun with grilse and I take the odd one or two for the table. Wouldn't eat farmed salmon so nice to have a fresh one a few times a years
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

bencarvosso wrote: Fri Jan 22 2021 14:59 -
I have two river close by. I 100% catch and release on my local whereas I have another up the road which is overrun with grilse and I take the odd one or two for the table. Wouldn't eat farmed salmon so nice to have a fresh one a few times a years
Farmed Salmon is an abomination in regards to wild salmon, my first employee use to have his own water up in Scotland and would smoke his own catches, at least the wild fish havent been decided against a colour chart at point of production.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Last edited by Stewlaws on Fri Jan 22 2021 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

coopercollector
Roach
Roach

bencarvosso wrote: Fri Jan 22 2021 14:59 -
She's pretty good at catching Pike as well !

I am allowed to take 1 fish per week after 16th June, but has to be a c*ck and under 60cm. To be honest I would rather let them go these days, having chomped my way through a fair few in the past !
Dr Andy Sage
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

Some really good pictures Coopercollector :thumbs:
smiley
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by smiley »

13 lb. Took a wobbled Roach.

:boing:
coopercollector
Roach
Roach

Nice surprise !
Dr Andy Sage
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

i have fished for trout on some small rivers and stock ponds , but i have always wanted to catch a salmon on a fly rod , its just one of those things on my bucket list , caught quiet a few pike on the fly , i inherited a bit of gear rod reels lines flys ....no idea how to use them , maybe i need to get a lesson have access to a club water on the ribble seen some nice fish too,
i have watched guys fishing for them but never seen any caught..........maybe one day
stunning fish guys well done
coopercollector
Roach
Roach

Read Salmon Fishing by Falkus, everything you need to know is in there apart from "experience"

Hooking a good salmon on the fly is amazing, they have the most stamina of any fish I have caught !
Dr Andy Sage
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

coopercollector wrote: Mon Feb 15 2021 15:58 -
Read Salmon Fishing by Falkus, everything you need to know is in there apart from "experience"

Hooking a good salmon on the fly is amazing, they have the most stamina of any fish I have caught !
stunning fish there , love fishing rivers and i feel i have to catch one sooner or later ,
i have a salmon rod which the brotherinlaw left me when he passed away...... and i pledged to myself to one day catch a salmon for him
he passed away not long after his wife died very sad indeed ...he just gave up the ghost really....... :pale:
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

Do Aussie salmon count? Lol
Screenshot_20210218_002012.jpg
Caught a few parr as bycatch on the Yorkshire rivers whilst trout fishing, found a nice c*ck salmon dead in the wharfe just before Christmas. The spey casting side of it is appealing but the cost involved not so much
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

stubbojo wrote: Sat Feb 13 2021 18:34 -
i have fished for trout on some small rivers and stock ponds , but i have always wanted to catch a salmon on a fly rod , its just one of those things on my bucket list , caught quiet a few pike on the fly , i inherited a bit of gear rod reels lines flys ....no idea how to use them , maybe i need to get a lesson have access to a club water on the ribble seen some nice fish too,
i have watched guys fishing for them but never seen any caught..........maybe one day
stunning fish guys well done
The ribble and the ure would probably be the best 2 yorkshire rivers to have a good chance of catching a salmon, we'll not talk about the ribble over the wrong side in bandit country though 😂😂😂