Pike Fly line advice

The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
NSW77
Roach
Roach

Pike Fly line advice

Post by NSW77 »

I’ve purchased a #10 weight big daddy fly rod outfit with an intermediate line and I really wish I’d bought the #9 weight because I don’t enjoy casting the #10 line. Would I get away with #9 weight fly lines on my #10 rod? I can cast an #8 easily but found the #10 really difficult I was thinking go in between the two and it would be ok. I’ve trout fished for years but found casting pike flies a totally different game.
Slug
Chub
Chub

Re: Pike Fly line advice

Post by Slug »

What line is it?
NSW77
Roach
Roach

Post by NSW77 »

The line that came with the outfit was a vision grand daddy intermediate. I’m not the best caster in the world but I can cast a decent line trout fishing, it’s most probably, well it is my technique. They make it look so easy on kanalgratis YouTube!
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

I haven’t used that line I’ve tried lots of lines on that rod though. I think you have to try lots of lines. My favourite line on that rod is the guideline F/H/I. I love that line.
I prefer a 10wt for pike fishing personally.
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

A 9# line on a 10# rod should cast fine. I much prefer casting a 9# line on my 10# rod.
I use the airflo 40+ sniper lines that I was advised to use by a friend who does lots of fly fishing for pike. You also have to cast slightly differently from what you would with a normal fly line and double haul. Some advise extending the back cast to 1 O' clock. There's some good YouTube videos showing this.
Last edited by Pinkie on Sat Jan 23 2021 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Are you false casting your pike flies?

For what its worth Ive always thought most fly anglers miss the real point of pike fishing, it is to catch fish, its not about faffing around in the air.
Strip some line off, wet the fly, swing it around your head and lob it out, simples. Trouting is a different ball game and no comparission to flinging a bugie out especially when the majority of pike are in the margins.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Pinkie
Perch
Perch

Post by Pinkie »

Mike J wrote: Sat Jan 23 2021 10:28 -
Are you false casting your pike flies?

For what its worth Ive always thought most fly anglers miss the real point of pike fishing, it is to catch fish, its not about faffing around in the air.
Strip some line off, wet the fly, swing it around your head and lob it out, simples. Trouting is a different ball game and no comparission to flinging a bugie out especially when the majority of pike are in the margins.

I suspect the need to cast moderate to long distances depends where one fishes. I do my fly fishing for pike from a punt in some big weirs on the Thames, and often have to cast a fair distance to cover the water and to get to the margins. It's also possible to hit tight good looking spots some distance away. And we find we get takes at any point in the retrieve, often far away from the banks.
DavyMc
Barbel
Barbel

Post by DavyMc »

Stick with it that is a good line and matches your setup. Don’t use too big a fly and 7 foot total trace and leader makes it easier also.
"Rise, like lions after slumber: In unvanquishable number! Shake your chains to earth like dew: Which in sleep had fallen on you: Ye are many—they are few!"
NSW77
Roach
Roach

Post by NSW77 »

I’m going to purchase a sniper line in #9 and see how I get on, I’ve heard so many good reviews and if I can’t get on with it I’ll get some casting lessons. Thanks
NSW77
Roach
Roach

Post by NSW77 »

I’m going to purchase a sniper line in #9 and see how I get on, I’ve heard so many good reviews and if I can’t get on with it I’ll get some casting lessons. :thumbs:
P Brindle
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by P Brindle »

NSW77 wrote: Sat Jan 23 2021 14:43 -
I’m going to purchase a sniper line in #9 and see how I get on, I’ve heard so many good reviews and if I can’t get on with it I’ll get some casting lessons. :thumbs:
Cortland compact or loop marauder are worth looking at before you get a sniper.
Oldskoolfool
Perch
Perch

Post by Oldskoolfool »

I use a 10# and agree if you're used to lighter lines it's very different. Matching the right line to rod really helps - I've found a Rio outbound is good and also Barrio fly lines. Generally I find it's best to use an aggressive weight forward design purpose made for the job. Also use a short leader overall and I'd found flies made form 100% synthetic cast best as they shed water best. Anything that retains water such as rabbit fur is like casting a wet sock! Casting lessons will help as you need a different style compares to small trout flies
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

Underlining a rod is not a good idea as you will not load it sufficiently to cast well.

Sniper lines are quite heavyweight lines for their size though.

Most fly fishers for pike use stated fly line for rod or overline.

If you are used to casting trout lines then the step up to 10 weight lines and above is quite marked. My advice is practice fly casting to get used to the step up.
dave aylett
Perch
Perch

Post by dave aylett »

Intermediates are harder to cast than a sinker, due to the increased line diameter
I’d strongly suggest that you go one line rating higher ( so a 10 wt line) this will assist you in loading the rod quicker and easier.
Line wise- go for a shooting head type ( ie airflo sniper) and learn how to double haul.
Good luck- once the penny drops it’s a doddle.
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

I have both fly lines mentioned i.e Vision and Airflo sniper. The Vision is light for its stated line size and has a long head. The airflo has a short head and is heavier for its line size. I can cast both but the Airflo is easier to get going. The vision needs more aerialised line to work and does not like heavy flies.

My preferred of the two is the Airflo.

I don't use a leader including wire trace longer than 7-8ft. As it is too much work and cumbersome.
NSW77
Roach
Roach

Post by NSW77 »

Thanks for everyone’s advice it’s been really helpful
lakefisher
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by lakefisher »

A very good alternative to the mentioned lines are the ones sold by SKB - in their predator range - at a sensible price too - 1/3rd the price of some mentioned.

Do a "google" to find them = https://www.fishskb.co.uk/
HTH ....... Tony
Last edited by lakefisher on Mon Jan 25 2021 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Ahab
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Captain Ahab »

Definitely go for the sniper it’s the best bang for buck in my opinion and will easily shoot the whole lot with a maximum of two false casts.
nigel savage
Chub
Chub

Post by nigel savage »

Casting a fly whether it's a nymph, or a large Pike fly all boils down to one thing, balanced tackle. a lot of predator lines in this case are very short in the "Head" which loads the rod very quickly, however there are some lines that are longer in the head which means that you must get all that section of line out the rod tip to make it work, if not the the rod will be underloaded and won't function.
A few tips, slow the casting action down, compared, lets say to using a Trout rod, because you are using larger flies, the flies themselves can be a burden, a lot are heavily dressed, with the materials used, wire trace, personally I use a 12/14" section of wire with two small swivels attached either end, with a split ring to fly attachment. Some people use various knots to attach the fly to the wire, but start of with a very long piece of wire perhaps 18/20" which will also, hinder your cast due to the extra weight.

As regards pike fly fisherman missing the point, faffing about? good numbers of people are doing it, with it lots and lots of success as well. simply because if you have got balanced tackle , it's not difficult one bit.
All the Pike are in the margins anyway? obviously does not apply to bait anglers, boat users etc then. by all means definitely search the margins first, however if nothing materialises, expand your horizon, it's not all about distance casting, presentation is paramount, think what you are doing.
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford »

I’ve got the snipers in di3 and 7, I find the 7 casts well but the 3 is an absolute pig probably due to its larger diameter and my lack of casting ability
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook
MScustomflies
Roach
Roach

Post by MScustomflies »

MarkBerrisford wrote: Mon Jan 25 2021 15:03 -
I’ve got the snipers in di3 and 7, I find the 7 casts well but the 3 is an absolute pig probably due to its larger diameter and my lack of casting ability
Guess it's all down to the user, different strokes for different blokes and all that.
I find the di3 a doddle to chuck and it absolutely flies probably my most used line at this time of year on the rivers.

The grand daddy is a nice line to cast and is super slick, dropped it a few times whilst casting as I'm used to casting ridged snipers.
The barrio is a decent line but is even better with 3' cut off the tip and sinks better for it too.