The forum to discuss anything related to these other styles of catching fish
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Gudgeon Book - Dr Mark Everard

Post by Jason Skilton »

Dr Mark Everard has written anew book 'Gudgeon: The Angler's Favourite Tiddler'
Gudgeon Book.jpg
As befits a small fish, this is a small book (iv + 92 A5 pages in paperback) but full of gudgeony wonderfulness!

Book £11 + P&P of £1:50 (UK).

I have asked the good Dr for a email address, so people can order a copy, but If you on Facebook, you can find you on there and PM him to order a copy too!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fossil-fish
Perch
Perch

Re: Gudgeon Book - Dr Mark Everard

Post by fossil-fish »

Got to love gudgeon. Been years since I caught one.
Michael Bruton
Squaze 123
Roach
Roach

Post by Squaze 123 »

They stay alive all night in the sink with tap water 😂😂
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Great eel baits.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

I love gudgeon, or as we call them Suffolk Barbel :boing:
Nige Johns
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Nige Johns »

Who doesn’t love a BIG Gudgeon

0B1637C1-E214-4278-B1B5-0B29BC1DA629.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Nige Johns wrote: Wed Feb 03 2021 12:00 -
Who doesn’t love a BIG Gudgeon

0B1637C1-E214-4278-B1B5-0B29BC1DA629.jpeg
Or a small one.

spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

When I was a kid Gudgeon was all I could catch. Some big ones too. Not had one for years!

I'll get one of those books if you can get his email :thumbs:
Introducing the worlds worst Barbel Angler,

Mr Ash Shaw
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Are we allowed to name gudgeon waters?

What the hell, it was decades ago, so I doubt the 'gudgeon circus' will descend there now . . .

Had some absolute monster gudgeon one day on the Throop fishery on the Dorset Stour when I was a youngster. The best few were easily 8"+ and I reckon the typical size was around 6". I caught a very small barbel a few years ago, which reminded me of them, but these were definitely gobios.

That gave me the mistaken idea that this was fairly normal, so it was something of a surprise to find gudgeon were very much smaller everywhere else. I've never seen gudgeon that size again in over 50 years!
Last edited by John Milford on Wed Feb 03 2021 12:50, edited 2 times in total.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

I’ve been fishing for 30years and never caught one :shrug: are there any in Fenland??
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Pikerd74 wrote: Wed Feb 03 2021 12:48 -
I’ve been fishing for 30years and never caught one :shrug: are there any in Fenland??
I think gudgeon are a bit like ruffe - they're either prolific or absent, depending on the water system, with not much in between. :shrug:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

Used to catch a few Ruffe in the past, perhaps I need to travel out of the flatlands......when Boris lets me! :laughs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Wed Feb 03 2021 12:57 -
I think gudgeon are a bit like ruffe - they're either prolific or absent, depending on the water system, with not much in between. :shrug:
And they can disappear from waters.

A mate of mine put some in his small garden pond and they bred like rabbits. Grew to a good size too. :grin:
Slug
Chub
Chub

Post by Slug »

They all suddenly died on my local Stillwater where I caught them as a kid. I suggested to the club it might be to do with spawning and they came back and said the EA had confirmed this as probable cause.
Gutted don’t know if there’s any in there now only ever see carp anglers fish it these days.
Don’tTellEmYourName
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Don’tTellEmYourName »

I think we miss some of the fun of fishing sometimes when we target a single species. Gudgeon were some of my very first catches, like many here have said I’d be at a loss to find them now. Get the feeling they could be as elusive as Ferox 😎
This will come in handy even if I never use it.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Couple of small stillwaters near me rammed out with gobios. They even have gudgeon matches to remove and rehome them on one. :thumbs:
brendan taaffe
Perch
Perch

Post by brendan taaffe »

davelumb wrote: Wed Feb 03 2021 13:18 -

A mate of mine put some in his small garden pond and they bred like rabbits. Grew to a good size too. :grin:
Myself and my brother put 4 gobios in our dad's garden pool with his koi. We said nothing! The following year Dad copped on there were loads of these little fish competing for pond sticks. He wasn't impressed! The pond was drained down to collect them. We moved over 200 gudgeon to nearby watercourses! Two buckets on the bike handlebars was the mode of transport!
Brendan Taaffe.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

brendan taaffe wrote: Wed Feb 03 2021 17:00 -

Myself and my brother put 4 gobios in our dad's garden pool with his koi. We said nothing! The following year Dad copped on there were loads of these little fish competing for pond sticks. He wasn't impressed! The pond was drained down to collect them. We moved over 200 gudgeon to nearby watercourses! Two buckets on the bike handlebars was the mode of transport!
:laughs:
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

I can remember a shallow and muddy church lake I used fish nearly 30 years ago, it was rammed with stunted Carp and billions of Gudgeon.

My kids managed one each last summer from W.Avon. Lovely little fish. :thumbs:

Another pit member and I used to have regular Gudgeon matches on our local riverx 40yrs ago when we were kids. Snow, rain or shine! :grin:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Shiv
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Shiv »

Fentiger01 wrote: Wed Feb 03 2021 18:00 -

I can remember a shallow and muddy church lake I used fish nearly 30 years ago, it was rammed with stunted Carp and billions of Gudgeon.

Another pit member and I used to have regular Gudgeon matches on our local riverx 40yrs ago when we were kids. Snow, rain or shine! :grin:
I Remember, :laughs: :laughs: :thumbs:
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

I'm going to try and get a Gobio or two on Saturday with a fly rod and some small size 18 nymphs. Plenty of them on a little stream so it should be fun.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Shiv wrote: Wed Feb 03 2021 18:10 -
Fentiger01 wrote: Wed Feb 03 2021 18:00 -

I Remember, :laughs: :laughs: :thumbs:
:thumbs: happy days Shivvy
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

If you get an email address please do pass on Jason, I'd like a copy of this book mate. :thumbs:
Mako234
Roach
Roach

Post by Mako234 »

not caught one for years used to be all i could catch when the eu banned suspended solids from the local river the water clarity greatly improved so did he numbers of perch zander and pike dont know if this had any effect on the gonk but not seen one for a decade at least
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the gudgeon's most endearing quality - they squeak! :grin:
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

John Milford wrote: Wed Feb 03 2021 19:21 -
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the gudgeon's most endearing quality - they squeak! :grin:
They what? :scratch: really!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Pikerd74 wrote: Wed Feb 03 2021 19:40 -
John Milford wrote: Wed Feb 03 2021 19:21 -
They what? :scratch: really!
:thumbs:
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

I’ve led a sheltered life, I’ve got to catch one now! My kids would love it....squeaky fish!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

The squeak is even mentioned on Wikipedia! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobio_gobio
Pikerd74
Perch
Perch

Post by Pikerd74 »

davelumb wrote: Wed Feb 03 2021 19:49 -
The squeak is even mentioned on Wikipedia! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobio_gobio
And I thought you guys were winding me up! Wiki is a reliable source, right ??? :laughs: